ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Fost, Daisy - relatives in Sweden ?  (läst 2293 gånger)

2002-09-10, 19:07
läst 2293 gånger

Ann Wilson

I am serching for realatives in Sweden. My grandfathers sister's name was Daisy Fost. I know she had grandaughter as I have a picture of the 2 of them together. My grendfather Gustav (spelled in the united states as Gustaf) Foster passed away in April of 1983 and we lost touch with family in Sweden. Last known city of residence for Daisy was Galve. I have also been told Grandfather had a brother that came to the United States also but do not know his name. I have information on Gustaf Foster Leaving Goteborg on September 10 1927 for New York. and seem to have hit a wall on any other information conected to his Swedish roots. Any information would be welcom Thank You

2002-09-10, 19:19
Svar #1

Ann Wilson

I for got to put my Grandfathers date of birth, it is May 25 1902 somewhere in Sweden.
 Thank You

2002-09-10, 22:01
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
When he emigrated in 1927 his home place is given as Amerika, which means that he first emigrated earlier, and now just came home for a visit.

It is important that you try to find out his true surname, as Foster is not a Swedish name, and also when he emigrated first. Did he become a naturalised citizen of the US? In those papers he might have given his place of birth.

2002-09-11, 04:22
Svar #3

Ann Wilson

That is the exact problem on the surname, the only way I belive I can get close to finding that is by serching for his sister Daisy Fost I am presntly trying to find a last address in my parents papers. The bigest problem being my great grandfather was a spy for the English and changed his name several times. My father said that he thought some of the names to be Fos, Foss Foste,Fost, Johanson while he was in Africa during the Boar Wars. My Grandfather did become a citizen of the US I belive after the court change his leagal name to Foster. It all seems to be a complicated road but I am willing to fallow to see what I can find.  
Thank you For your help

Ann

2002-09-11, 18:12
Svar #4

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Ann,

His naturalization papers should have his name at birth, birthdate, where he was born (specifically), and much more than that. They will be found probably at a NARA facility near where he lived when he naturalized. A local genealogical society should be able to help you know where to look.

Marriage records often give the names of the mother and father of the people getting married. The information is not always accurate but you might get more information. I have found birth places there, and often they have been more detailed than just Sweden. Those records are often kept on the county level.

Check the church or churches he attended and perhaps they have his birthplace and birthdate. He emigrated rather late to get much help from the Swenson Center, which has records which usually only go up to about 1930. I have seen MUCH later records for some churches, though, so it is worth checking. The parish in Sweden is given for members of the church.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/index.htm

Good luck!

Judy

2002-09-11, 19:54
Svar #5

Roland Johansson

To Ann Wilson:

From the swedish emigrants database.

The factory worker Gustav Adolf Fast, 17 or 18 years old, from Gävle (a town in Gästrikland), sailed from Stockholm or Göteborg on January 8, 1920, with a ticket for New York.  
(Double entry in the database, hence the differing data.)

Sylvia M. Fast, 20 years old housemaid, from Valbo (a place near Gävle) went from Göteborg November 28, 1927 to New York. Can she be the sister? Sailed with the ship Gripsholm, and also stated her home address as Mackmyra (a place in Valbo.)

Algot Fast, 43 years old, from Gävle, went from Göteborg December 8, 1909 to New York.
Maybe his brother, but his age seems a little too high.

2002-09-11, 21:31
Svar #6

Ann Wilson

Roland,

Algot Fast could possibly be my Great grand father, my grandfather the reason I think this may be possible is that my grandfathers middle name was Algot and it was passed down as a middle name to both my father and brother. My grandfather was born on May 25 1902 according to the records I got off the internet from just using his name and place of death. The story dad has alwasy told was that grandfather came to the US when He was 17 but with his father. And his brother came later. It could be possible that my great grandfather came first and then my grandfather. Grandfathers sister Daisy Fost (Married to Borje i belive was his name) lived in Sweden in Gavle in the 70's as this is the address we wrote to. I rember she had to have a Nun or a priest read our letters to her as her english was not good and her eyesight was going. This opens more possiblities for me to check out. Thank You so much for the information.  

Ann

2002-09-11, 21:38
Svar #7

Ann Wilson

Judy,

Thank You for some great ideas to help me here. I think he would have been naturalized in New York as that is where my grandfather changed his name to Foster  legaly in court ( acording to my father)before going west. I am so glad that I foud this site. Thank You again for you help.

Ann

2002-09-12, 06:23
Svar #8

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Hi Ann, there actually are three women with the name Daisy that die in Gävle municipality (kommun) between 1971 and 1999, or to be precise between 1987 and 1999. One of them was born in 1909 the others in 1919 and 1920. All three had been married, the oldest was divorced, one a widow and one still married at the time of death. Last names are Larsson, Svedberg and Zeilon.  
Does any of it sound familiar? The information comes from a cd called Sveriges Dödbok 1950-1999 (the Swedish Deathbook), and the information on the one you think fits could easily be given here.

Best regards,
Eva Dahlberg

2002-09-12, 12:26
Svar #9

Lotta Nordin (Lotta)

Hi Ann,
at www.ellisisland.org you can find a Gustaf Fast, 17, who arrives at New York January 23 1920, port of departure was Gothenburg. He was going to join his father Andrew Foster, Plattsmouth, Nebraska, who had paid for the ticket. Gustaf was 5 feet 7 inches, had fair complexion, blond hair and blue eyes. According to the manifest he was born in Hille, Sweden.  
There is a parish Hille just outside Gävle.

Lotta

2002-09-12, 19:49
Svar #10

Utloggad Maud Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 21976
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 12:26
    • Visa profil
Ann,  
According to the Ellis Island manifest the factory worker Gustaf Fast's mother was Mathilda Fast, Skepparegatan 32, Gävle.
Maud
Hälsar vänligen
Maud

2002-09-12, 21:23
Svar #11

Ann Wilson

Lotta,

I am 99% sure that Gustaf Fast was my grand father from the information You have given me. My great grandfather and grandfather ended up in Lincoln Nebraska working for the railroad and Plattsmouth is not far from there. I also vaugely remember the Name Andrew being mentioned as well as Mathilda. Is there a place to reaserch Hille Parish for the names that I could acess from the internet?  
Thank You so much, I am so excited that I can hardly contain it. Being a novice at the whole process of searching for our family I thought it would be a never ending circle with the few details I have. My father said that his grandfather and father rarely talked about the past.

Ann

2002-09-12, 21:44
Svar #12

Ann Wilson

Eva,  

I think that Daisy was a widow because Borje died first though I am not for sure. I did however find the last address I had for them at : Daisy & Borje Fast, Ja gargtan 18c.802 64, Gavle Sverige. is it possible for me to purchase the  cd called Sveriges Dödbok 1950-1999 (the Swedish Deathbook)online?
Thank You
Ann

2002-09-12, 22:04
Svar #13

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Ann, did Borje take Daisy's name? It's not uncommon but a bit unusual at their age. The Daisy that was a widow was born in Värmland, not in the Gävle area and did not have the fast surname.

There actually is an unmarried Börje Fast at that address on the cd,
19260126-7517
Fast, Stig Börje
Jägarg 18 C
802 64  Gävle

Död 20/8 1996.

Född 26/1 1926 i Gävle Heliga Trefaldighet (Gävleborgs län).
Ogift (unmarried) man.

The CD is available through Rötter (see red label at top left)  - but I'd start with all other sources first (online like Swedish Roots also available through Rötter) and the Swedish churchbooks available through the LDS at your closest Family History Centre. The cd only contain names from 1971 onwards.

Maybe you should contact the Regional Archives that hold the original records to check up on the relationship of all the different people fiven here from the 1900s as the parishes vary for example. As it's modern times you may find very little online or through the LDS. I wouldn't want you to jump to conclusions on the relationships, but would advice to get some proper checkup from the original records.
E-mail landsarkivet@landsarkivet-harnosand.ra.se

Best regards,
Eva Dahlberg

2002-09-12, 22:39
Svar #14

Erik Holmlund

Ann, I looked in the phone directory for Gävle, which is available online:
http://privatpersoner.gulasidorna.se/

I looked for the surname 'Fast' in Gävle. There was only one person with that last name:
Stefan Fast. Address: Smultronvägen 51D, 806 35 GÄVLE. Ph.No. +26 514935  

I also looked for the alternative spelling 'Fasth'. Only one hit:
Lalla Matilda Fasth. Address: Kålhagsgatan 4B, 802 53 GÄVLE. Ph.No: +26 620676

I guess both could possibly be your relatives. Especially the second hit looks interesting as  her given name is 'Matilda' which is not that common. Passing on given names of elder relatives to children is a quite common custom in Sweden.

2002-09-12, 23:16
Svar #15

Ann Wilson

Eva,  
Thank You for the information. I will have to ask more quetions of my father as to just who Borje was, his memory is going but sometimes I can get things going by talking of simmalar topics. It makes me wonder if he was the brother and my father just had names mixed up as there were so many for my great grandfather. I try to write it all down as sometinmes he will speak of things randomly. I hope to see him on saturday, it is hard to get over to see him with kids in school and exrta things they do.

Thank You again
Ann

2002-09-12, 23:39
Svar #16

Ann Wilson

Eric,

Thank you for checking the phone listings in Gävle for me. I did look at this site online before and had no clue as to what I should do, so I book marked it for later when I could read what it all said to do.
The Matilda name does seem to be a good hit. My grandfather,father and brother all have the same middle name Algot. Grandfather was Big GA and father was little GA untill my brohter was born. So he kept the custom going.

Ann

2002-09-13, 02:42
Svar #17

Ann Wilson

I called my Aunt this evening and found out that Borje was the son of Daisy and there was one other son that she did not know his name. Also there was a Syliva who was the sister to Daisy that lived in New York USA. She also told me that my cousin had visited once and might know more about it but I was unable to reach her. I do so want to thank all of you that have helped me. My Aunts and father are getting up in age( Aunts are close to thier 80's) and I really want to find our history before it is to late and I have no one to ask.
 Sincerly
  Ann

2002-10-19, 02:11
Svar #18

Ann Wilson

I have finally found the picture of my grandfathers sister and her grandaughter. Her name is Lena. And a kind soul on a e-mail list I am on translated the writting on the back for me, it is as follows:  

Lena med
     Farmor
Jag är så glad åt
mitt barnbarn
det enda jag har och
fått. Hon är så rar
mot mig.

Lena with
     Grandma
I'm so happy for
my grandchild
the only I have and
got. She is so nice
to me.

So on a chance I went to the phone listings and just typed in the Fast surname and got 2 listings for a lena. I am wondering if maybe these are her and possibly the same person but with a married name? They are :

Christr Andersson & Inga Lena Fast Andersson, Ojebro 590 17 Mantrop 0142-36114.

Lena Andersson Fast, N. Sockerbrusksg. 17, 262 63 Angelholm 0431-20540.

Are the address even in the same area or maybe they are 2 different people.  

Thank You for any Help.

Regards,
Ann

2002-10-19, 07:41
Svar #19

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hej Ann! The addresses are in two different areas of the country and roughly some 350 km apart (the names are Mantorp and Ängelholm). Lena may not at all have kept her maiden name when she married as that is unusal (based on my own family and friends - and I'm born in the 1960s) less than 10% (probably less than 5 %) have kept their maiden name.  

As I wrote on the 12 Sept I'm a bit surprised that Börje took his wife's name, as that is even more unusual, especially in those times, but of course it could have happened.

Have you contacted the Regional Archives yet to get the correct family picture and birth dates etc which would make it easier to trace living relatives?

regrads,
Eva Dahlberg

2002-10-19, 17:29
Svar #20

Ann Wilson

Eva,

I have gotten a list of microfiche for Hille parish frome the SVAR here in the US and have and am going to order some for birthrecords,original household examination rolls. And from there hope to get a exact name of my greatgrandparents. As my mother said just this morning that maybe the only way to find great gandpas name because when he came to the US, he did not want to be found by anyone that may have ties to what and where he was a spy for.
I am also waiting for a cousin of mine who has visited realtives in Sweden to get me some more information. Borje is belived now to be the son of Daisy, this is what my Aunts and cousin remember but there was a second son and that was Lenas father?(my cousin thinks she may have some info. on that but is still looking and not gotten back to me). I am writting it all down to keep a record of what everyone remebers and going to verify what I have. When I found the two listings I just thought that perhaps like here in the states the wife will sometimes use her maidden name in her legal name after she is married. I have been able to trace my grandmothers side of the family a long way back. This I have done with just a liite money invested  and have found someone that lives in sweden on a e-mail list I am on that does searches in sweden for people. But I am going to do my best to get what I can on my own before I invest any money in someone I do not know to search for me. I am so grateful for the help I have recived here on this site . It has helped me in finding the the right path to follow. Thank You agin for your help.

Regards,
Ann

2003-08-15, 23:32
Svar #21

Ann Wilson

Hej,

I wanted to post a Big Thank You for all the help I have recived her and to all who have helped me. I have located my Grandfathers nephew, through an Email to the parish that his sisters first son Sig Borje was listed as dieing at( Gavle Heliga Trefaldighet,Gavleborg Ian). The name I had found for Daisy's second son was Gunnar and his true name is Karl-Gunnar Lejerstrom. And strange enough he lives at the address I had for Daisy and Sig Borje in the late 80's. I had never beofre heard the surname Lejerstrom so I had no Idea that he was family. It has been a long year but I have learned alot and am now getting ready to send a letter off to our Cousin , I now only hope he is able to corespond.
Once again thank you for all the help.

Best regards,

Ann Wilson

2003-08-16, 07:57
Svar #22

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hej Ann! Congratulations! I'm happy your search via the archives and parish lead you to your relative.

Best regards,
Eva

2005-10-15, 21:52
Svar #23

AnnWilson

I am now working on My great grand Mother Matilda Katrina Petersons Family. I have been able to find a Census That I belive is her in 1890(from a kind soulwho has the CD) The following:

Lars Gustaf Pettersson (b. 1853, Tierp, Uppsala, Uppland)
Arbetare
Gift man, far i familjen
Tolffors
Hille (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)

Kajsa Greta Åmark (b. 1853, Ockelbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)

h
Gift Kvinna, mor i familjen  

Same address for wife and children.

Matilda Katrina (b. 1878, Gävle (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)
Ida Margreta (b. 1881, Gävle)
Tyra Wiktoria (b. 1886, Gävle)

I would like to find Lars Gustaf Pettersson and Kajsa Greta Åmark's parents, would there be a parishrecord avilable for either parish they were born in?

Thank you in advance for any help

Ann Wilson

2005-10-15, 23:44
Svar #24

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Ann!
I have some data - perhaps not new. Genline unfortunately not very helpful in the Ockelbo and Tierp parishes.

I found the family in the 1891-1896 household record (GID 89.7.7200). At Tolffors, Sätra, Hille (X)
Lars Gustaf born Nov 21 1853 Tierp
Kajsa Greta born January 27 1853 Ockelbo
They married January 28th 1876

And came from Gävle Nov 29 1890
This information from household record 1888-1891 (GID89.48.41600)

Regards,
Olle

2005-10-16, 20:53
Svar #25

AnnWilson

Olle,

Thank You Very much, I did not have the exact birthdates or the marriage date. So this is very Helpfuly.

Thank You again,

Ann

2007-06-30, 22:46
Svar #26

Ann Wilson

Hej to all,

I have progressed well with my family research and have found another cousin. She sent me a photo of a family gettogether and another cousin was ablebe to put names to the faces. However new information came to light with this and I was wondering if someone could help find information on this part of the family.

In the photo is a :
Bertril Sandstrom & Gunnar Sandstrom listed as Daisy Fasts's half brothers on mothers side, I had no Idea that my great grand mother had children with another man, it makes sense as my great grandfather stayed here and she never came over to the US.

I have been able to find with help thier birthdates:

Eric Bertril Sandstrom b. April 4 1915 Gävle (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland d. July 19 1996 Sundbyberg,Stockholms län, Uppland Married Birgit Maria b. 7/13/1916 Gävle Staffan (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland

Johan Gunnar Sandstrom b. Aug. 8 1912 Gävle (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland, Married Ingrid Margareta b. 1917 Valbo

Having a hard time trying to find out who thier father was, did my great grandmother Matilda  Katrina Pettersson b.Sept. 7 1878 live with him? marry him? My Grandfather came over in 1920 at the age of 17 so he woul have been in his teens when these two were born, are they sons of a second husband and his first wife? it seems that No one I have e-mailed in the family can answer or will answer so I would like to solve the question of thses two men who my cousin says are half brother to my grandfather.  

Thank you for any help you can give

Best regards,

Ann

2011-01-09, 06:32
Svar #27

Utloggad Stefan Simander

• Stefan Simander
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 7203
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-20, 03:38
  • Stefan Simander www.freewebs.com/simander
    • Visa profil
    • www.freewebs.com/simander, Simanderska palatset
Because I didn't know of this discussion, I started a similar discussion in Swedish about the same family here:

(Meddelandet ändrat av simson 2011-01-09 06:33)
Stefan Simander
Gamla Uppsala + Järlåsa, Sweden
www.freewebs.com/simander
076 - 228 94 22

2011-01-09, 16:34
Svar #28

Utloggad Stefan Simander

• Stefan Simander
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 7203
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-20, 03:38
  • Stefan Simander www.freewebs.com/simander
    • Visa profil
    • www.freewebs.com/simander, Simanderska palatset
The man earlier discussed, from the Swedish Death Index 5 (1901-2009):

Vahlund, Johan Erik

Hagaström

Död (Death) 2/8 1937.

Kyrkobokförd i Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Född (Birth) 1/3 1855 (ingen uppgift om födelseort)

Gift man. (Married man)
--------------
Motsvarande kyrkobokföringsförsamling(ar) 1/1 2010:
Valbo, Gävle kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)

Källor (Sources):
DB (Death Book)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually there is other men surnamed Wahlund with the forename Johan:

Most suspected maybe this man ought to be:

Wahlund, Johan August

Hagaström

Död 14/12 1939.

Kyrkobokförd (Church recorded) in Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Född 1/3 1887 (ingen uppgift om födelseort) (No data about his birth place)

Ogift (Unmarried) man.
--------------

Källor:
DB

-------------------------------------------------------------

Other men born in Valbo with the names Johan and Wahlund:

18771217-101

Wahlund, Anders Johan

Kallboda 1:8

Död (Dead) 2/7 1948.

Kyrkobokförd (Church recorded) i Häverö (Stockholms län, Uppland).

Född (Born) 17/12 1877 i Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Änkling (Widower) (25/6 1930).
--------------
Häverö-Edebo-Singö, Norrtälje kn (Stockholms län, Uppland)

Födelseförsamling i källan:
Valbo (Gävleborgs län)

Källor:
DB, FS
-------------------------

Wahlund, Olof Johan

Yttre Sandviken Ö.Villastaden nr 61

Död (Dead) 20/3 1930.

Kyrkobokförd (Church recorded) i Högbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Född 5/5 1867 i Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Gift(Married) man (20/12 1891).
--------------
Sandviken, Sandvikens kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)

Valbo (Gävleborgs län)

Källor:
DB, FS
-----------------------------

Other men spelled Vahlund, which doesn´t mean any difference, because spelling was different all the time earlier in Sweden:

Vahlund, Erik Johan

Bäck

Död (Death) 27/6 1939.

Kyrkobokförd (Church registered) i Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Född (Born) 9/6 1876 (ingen uppgift om födelseort)

Gift (Married) man.
--------------

Källor:
DB
----------------------------------------------------

18840317-755

Vahlund, Johan Arvid

Öhn 1:57

Död 18/5 1964.

Kyrkobokförd i Valbo, Valbo kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Född 17/3 1884 i Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Änkling (17/4 1944).
--------------

Valbo (Gävleborgs län)

Källor:
DB, FS / DOR 64
---------------------------

I guess this one is too young:

18930818-7575

Vahlund, Johan Gotthard

Storg 22 A
811 31  Sandviken

Död 2/9 1982.

Kyrkobokförd (1971) i Sandviken, Sandvikens kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland). Mantalsskriven (1971) på samma ort.

Född 18/8 1893 i Valbo (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Ogift man.
--------------
Valbo (Gävleborgs län)

Källor:
RTB 82 / SPAR 90
------------------------

And this one is also very young and he was called Anders. He is a son om Johan Erik Wahlund's, (born 1855) brother:

18911222-7575

Vahlund, Anders Johan

Åsen 2:32 Åshammar

Död 1/11 1969.

Kyrkobokförd i Ovansjö, Ovansjö kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Född 22/12 1891 i Ovansjö (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Gift man (2/5 1926).
--------------
Ovansjö, Sandvikens kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)

Ovansjö (Gävleborgs län)

Källor:
DB, FS / RTB 69 / UTD 69d
----------------------------------------

Here is another more suitable in age:

18840116-7559

Vahlund, Karl Sigurd Johan

Box 3465 Storhagssvängen 50
802 39 Gävle
(Boendeadress 1 nov 1970)

Död 23/3 1973.

Kyrkobokförd (1973) i Gävle Staffan, Gävle kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland). Mantalsskriven (1973) på samma ort.

Född 16/1 1884 i Hille (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland).

Änkling (26/1 1970).
--------------
Gävle Staffan, Gävle kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)
Bomhus, Gävle kn (Gävleborgs län, Gästrikland)

Hille (Gävleborgs län)

Källor:
MTL 71 / RTB 73
-----------------------------

It is hard to tell who was the real father, if any of them?

Maybe a DNA-test could tell?

(Meddelandet ändrat av simson 2011-01-09 16:37)
Stefan Simander
Gamla Uppsala + Järlåsa, Sweden
www.freewebs.com/simander
076 - 228 94 22

2011-08-03, 16:01
Svar #29

Utloggad Moderator USA

• Moderator *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1328
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Moved from topic Discussions in English/Emigrants

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna