ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: John Swansson aka John Swancer  (läst 1728 gånger)

2010-02-13, 20:29
läst 1728 gånger

Utloggad Mary Nelson Keithahn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 81
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-01-17, 06:45
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
My great-grandfather, John Swansson (anglicized to John Swancer) was born near Stockholm on March 7, 1842, and came to America with his parents as a youth, settling in Rock Island, Illinois.  He later went to live with George Simms family at Oxford, Mercer County, Illinois, and at the age of 20, enlisted in Company F, 102nd Infantry, of the Union Army.  He was discharged on June 12, 1865, and two years later married Amanda Baltimore at Oxford, Illinois. They later moved to Beaman, Iowa, and he died there on December 29, 1907. I am wondering if there would be any additional information about him in records of the Swedish community in Illinois, or any record of his place of origin in Sweden.  I'll appreciate any leads.

2010-02-14, 19:16
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
I looked on the Emibas CD but the only possibility with that name and birthdate came from a totally different part of Sweden and also came later than yours. Near Stockholm is a common place of origin according to stories passed down to descendants and it often doesn't end up as a true place of origin. Stockholm is both a city and a county. Also, many of our ancestors mentioned the nearest large place as the place of origin and your ancestor may have come from a county near Stockholm. I have even found people supposedly born in Stockholm who were born on the opposite side of the country.  

Do you know the names of the parents? Do you have details about the parents?

Have you used the archive called the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center? (Google it.) The Swenson Center has a website but its extensive collection of records is NOT online. We need to go there to research or pay them to research for us. They have records which are difficult or even impossible to find elsewhere and many of us have been helped there.

The following website has ideas on how to try to find the parish of origin for Scandinavians (including Swedes, of course) who came to the U.S. in the early days. Records were kept in the parish.

http://www.progenealogists.com/scandinavianimmigration.htm

Also look at this website and download the free booklet that is mentioned there. It provides some ideas on how to gather clues to help us find the origins of our ancestors in Sweden, in addition to also providing an overview of Swedish genealogy.

http://www.swedenabroad.com/Page____82863.aspx

I have had great success using the records of local genealogical and historical societies, especially for people who came around the time you mentioned. Search for societies using this link.

http://www.familyhistory.com/societyhall/search.asp

There is an excellent library for the Rock Island County Historical Society. They do lookups for a fee, or you can go there to research.

http://www.richs.cc/library.html

Judy

2010-10-15, 16:35
Svar #2

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
I am still looking for the birthplace of my great-grandfather who anglicized his name to John Swancer.  He was probably Johan Swansson or Svensson, and came as a child or youth with his parents to Illinois around 1847. We think he was born in the Stockholm area in 1842. He had a brother George and a sister Hannah (called Lottie) who emigrated with the family. Lottie lived in Chicago, and the mother went to live with her after the father died.  They were burned in the great Chicago fire of 1871 but survived.  John Swancer enlisted in the Union Army from Illinois and served under General Sherman. After the war he married Amanda Baltimore in Oxford, IL and moved to Grundy County, Iowa where he farmed until his death in 1907.

I just found out from some family pictures that his first cousin was Charles Strömberg, born about 1838 or 1839 in Sweden, whose father was Charles Strömberg,b.1791 in Sweden but living in Chicago in 1870. The younger Charles was married to Augusta, also born in Sweden about 1847. They emigrated to Illinois in 1854. They had at least three children: Hannah or Annie b. 1867, Ebba b. 1877, and Charles, b. 1892. The grandfather Charles was an ex-printer, the father Charles was superintendent of a printing office, and the son Charles evidently carried on the business. The grandfather had another son, Christian, b. about 1849, who lived with his brother in 1870, but in 1880 was married to Matilda and had a daughter Malinda, age 7. He sold stationery, so may have been involved in the family business.  

I am hoping that someone may be able to find the Strömbergs and they will provide some clues to the Swedish origins of my great-grandfather, John Swancer.  Thanks to anyone who can help.

2010-10-15, 17:17
Svar #3

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
This Carl (Charles) Strömberg fits with your data:
Post 367383

Strömberg, Carl
Målare (married man)Painter

b. 9/24/1798 in Örkened, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Emigrated 6/16/1854
from 399 Wiborg, Karlshamn, Blekinge län (Blekinge)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 915

Emibas migration file ID: Karlshamn K 1854 032

He leaves with his family:
Botilla Nilsdotter Strömberg b 1805
Hilda Sophia b 1833
Johanna Maria b 1836
Johan Ludvig b 1843
Carl Johan b 1843 (twin)
Christian Gottfrid b 1848
Carl Magnusson b 1836 (apprentice, could he have taken the name Strömberg?)

(Meddelandet ändrat av izla 2010-10-15 17:18)

2010-10-15, 17:20
Svar #4

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
The wife, Botilla:
Post 367375

Strömberg Nilsdotter, Botilla
Målarhustru (married woman)

b. 1/21/1805 in Gammalstorp, Blekinge län (Blekinge)

Emigrated 6/16/1854
from 399 Wiborg, Karlshamn, Blekinge län (Blekinge)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 915

Emibas migration file ID: Karlshamn K 1854 033

2010-10-16, 00:26
Svar #5

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Chris, thanks for your prompt reply.

This could be the family, but there are a few problems.  In the 1870 US census, Charles (Carl) is listed as an ex-printer not a painter.  The family seems to have established a printing firm that printed stationery and envelopes etc. for businesses in the Chicago area, and all three generations were involved.  From pictures my mother had of their home and accounts of visits to the family in her journals, the family had prospered.

In the 1970 US census Charles J. Strömberg (age 79)is living with Charles and Augusta, their 3-year-old daughter Hannah (b. Illinois), and Christian Strömberg, age 20.  If the Charles who was a first cousin of John Swancer were Carl Magnusson, the apprentice, would they be sharing a home?  This seems to apply a family connection, but perhaps in those days apprentices were considered family.

It might be more likely that our Charles was one of the twins, Carl Johan, except that the 1900 US Census lists his birth date as February 1838, and Carl Johan's birth year is 1843.

I forgot to mention the marriage date of Charles and Augusta before.  It was 1863, so they must have emigrated separately and married in Illinois.

Is there any way to find out if Carl Strömberg or Botilla Nilsdotter had any siblings that could have been John Swancer's parents who emigrated around 1844-1847?

If you have any more thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing from you again.  Thanks for your help.  Mary

2010-10-26, 03:54
Svar #6

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Since John Swancer and Charles J. Strömberg (son of Carl Strömberg, b. 1798 and Botilla Nilsdotter) were first cousins, John Swancer was probably the son of a brother or sister of one of Charles' parents. In a picture my mother had of Charles, Augusta, and their son Charles sitting in their parlor with others, John Swancer's mother and sister are identified in the group. Unfortunately, his mother is just identified as Grandma Swancer, mother of John Swancer--no given name.) Can anyone tell me the names of the parents' siblings and their spouses?  Perhaps there is a couple who emigrated to Illinois with their son, Johan Svensson. I suppose this family could have been from either Kristianstad or Blekinge, but since the Strömbergs emigrated from Karlshamm, that might have been their home too.  I will be grateful for any information anyone can find for me.  Mary

2010-11-19, 00:21
Svar #7

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Many thanks to Chris Bingefors, Janerick Erickson, and Thomas i Kvarnan who have replied via this site or e-mail with information that has helped me make some progress in finding the origins of my maternal great-grandfather, Jown Swancer and his first cousin, Charles J. Stromberg, son of Carl Strömberg, b. 1798, and Botilla Nilsdotter (b. 1805).  Thomas suggested that I share what they have found on this thread of Anbytarforum so researches will know what we know and can maybe find some clues that will lead to more information. Here it is:

Summarized from Thomas i Kvarnan: I started with looking up the parents of Charles Strömberg, or as his name was spelled in Sweden: Carl Strömberg. Carl was born September 24 1798, and he was the son of Jöns Carlsson and his wife Gunnil Pehrsdotter. The family lived in Gylsboda, Örkened parish. [Örkened C:2, 1798, number 24] At this point Carl still did not have the last name Strömberg. His full name would have been Carl Jönsson.

I searched for them in the household examination books.
I found the crofter Jöns Carlsson, born in Gemshög (also spelled Jämshög) in 1765 and his wife Gunnild Pehrsdotter born in Gemshög 1765.  
Their children:
Karna Jönsdotter, born July 8 1797, Örkened
Carl Jönsson, born September 24, Örkened
[Örkened AI:4, Gylsboda, page 26]

In the next household examination book there is no daughter Karna. Either she has died or moved. Instead there is another daughter: Elna Jönsdotter, born January 29, 1802, Örknered. The family lived in Höka torp, Gylsboda, Örknered.
[Örkened AI:5, Gylsboda, 1/3]

In the next household examination book we find an additional daughter: Pernilla Jönsdotter.The family still lived in Höka torp, Gylsboda, Örknered.Jöns Carlsson died March 12, 1810.
[Örknered AI:6, Gylsboda, 1/2]  

In the next household examination book there is a new head of the family a Nils Jönsson, born in Gryt October 6 1766. We also find Jöns Carlsson’s widow Gunnil Persdotter and the children Carl Jönsson, Elna Jönsdotter and Pernilla Jönsdotter. We get to know that Carl Jönsson moved away in 1813. But we do not know where to. This Carl Jönsson is the future Carl Strömberg and even later Charles Stromberg.
[Örkenered AI:7, Gylsboda, 1/3]

In the next household examination book we find the same people (except Carl Jönsson of course).
[Örkened AI:8, Gylsboda, 2/4]

In the next household examination book we do not find Elna Jönsdotter; she has moved away.
[Örkered AI:10, Gylsboda, 2/5]

In the next household examination book she is back again. This time with her son: Sven born October 7, 1823. Pernilla is crossed out (meaning that she moved away).
[Örkenered AI:11, Gylsboda, page 68, 2/6]

In the next household examination book Pernilla is back again, but she is crossed out again, so she has moved a second time from her home. In addition to Pernilla Jönsdotter, the new head of the family Nils Jönsson and Gunnila Pehrsdotter we also find Elna Jönsdotter and her family. She is married to Ola Persson, born January 22 1797, their children:
Sven, born October 7, 1823
Jöns, born October 26, 1825
Per, born April 15, 1828
Bengt, born December 18, 1830
[Örkered AI:12, Gylsboda, page 93, 3/9]

What happened to Pernilla Jönsdotter? She married a man named Bengt Persson that was born 1799 in Glimåkra. They lived in 1880 in Wesslarp, Glimåkra.
[1880 Census]

I then looked up the parents of Botilla Nilsdotter. I found her as Botil, daughter of Nils Olsson and his wife Karna Persdotter in Bjäraryd, Gammalstorp parish. Botil was born on the 13th of January and baptised on the 22 of January 1805.  
[Gammalstorp CI:3, 1805, number 3, pages 223].

The Nils Olsson family included:
Nils Olsson 41 years old (born about 1766)
Karna Pehrsdotter 31 years old (born about 1776)
Bengta Nilsdotter 6 years old (born about 1801)
Hanna Nilsdotter 4 years old (born about 1803)
Botil Nilsdotter 2 years old.
[Gammalstorp AI:2, Bjäraryd number 23, 4/7]

Again in the next household examiniation book we find the same persons and adding to that another daughter: Inger Nilsdotter born about 1806.
[Gammalstorp AI:2, Bjäraryd number 23, 5/7]

In the next household examiniation book there is no Hanna Nilsdotter and no Inger Nilsdotter. Most likely they died as children.
[Gammalstorp AI:2, Bjäraryd number 23, 6/7]

In the next household examiniation book there is no change.

In the next one there is an additional child: the son Ola Nilsson born about 1811.

The next step was to investigate the Charles Strömberg family.
I found the painter Charles Strömberg born September 24 1798, Örknered
Wife: Botilla Nilsdotter, born January 21 1805, Gammalstorp
Daughter: Hilda Sophia, born February 9, 1833, Karlshamn
Son: Nils Olof, born August 28, 1834, Karlshamn
Daughter: Johanna Maria, born May 29, 1836, Karlshamn
Son: Carl Johan, born February 12, 1838, Karlshamn
Son: Johan Ludvig, born November 25, 1843, Karlshamn
Son: Christian Gottfrid, born October 10, 1848, Karlshamn, left for North America already in 1853.
[Karlshamn AI:20, Amerika number 399, page 915]

In the previous household examination book we find the same people. We also learn that Nils Olof left Karlshamn for Helsingborg in 1849 (obviously he came back to Karlshamn). In addition to the other children we find:
Daughter: Gustava Carolina, born December 20, 1846, Karlskrona. She died March 10, 1847, Karlshamn.
[Karlshamn AI:16, Amerika number 399, 8/10]

In the previous household examination book we find two additional children:
Daughter: Amanda Matilda, born 1839, Karlshamn. Dead November 18, 1842, Karlshamn.
Son: Johan Ludvig, born January 23, 1842, Karlshamn. Dead May 6, 1843, Karlshamn. This is not the John Ludvig mentioned above, it is an older brother.
One also finds an Olof Hökberg living with the family. He was born 1811 in Gammalstorp. I am pretty sure that this is Botilla Nilsdotter’s brother. Olof Hökberg moved to Stockholm in 1842, but came back to the Botilla Nilsdotter family in Karlshamn.  
[Karlshamn AI:14, Amerika num,ber 399, page 803, 17/20]

In the previous household examination book we find them again. These records also tells us that Carl Strömbergs owns the building they are living in. We also get the info that the family came to this address in 1837. They came from “244”. I could not find them in page 244.
[Karlshamn AI:13, Amerika number 399, page 810.]

I checked the birth records for Hilda Sophia, Nils Olof and Johanna Maria to see if one could get information about where in Karlshamn the family lived before 1837. I found no such info. [Karlshamn CI:5 1833, 1834, 1836]

Finding all this took me many hours of hard work. And still I did not find the evidence of Johan Svensson/John Swancer born about 1842, moving to Illinois about 1847!  
But to summarize.

The Jöns Carlsson family
Jöns Carlsson (1765, Gemshög) and Gunnil Persdotter (1765, Gemshög) had the following children:
Carl Jönsson/Carl Strömberg/Charles Strömberg (see below)
Karna Jönsdotter, born July 8 1797, Örkened
Elna Jönsdotter, born January 1802, Örkered
Pernilla Jönsdotter, born September 1, 1808.
Since Elna married Ola Persson and Pernilla married Bengt Persson, they do not seem to me married to the Mr Svensson that is the father of John Swancer. Left is Karna Jönsdotter. Since Carl Jönsson died, there should not be anymore children. Even though Karna might have been the mother of John Swancer, she would be rather old in 1842.

The Nils Olsson family
Nils Olsson (born about 1766)
Karna Pehrsdotter (born about 1776)
Their children:
Bengta Nilsdotter (born about 1801)
Hanna Nilsdotter (born about 1803), died young
Botilla Nilsdotter (born 1805)
Inger Nilsdotter (born about 1806), died young
Ola Nilsson (later Hökberg ?) (born about 1811)

The only sibling that could be a parent of John Swancer is Bengta Nilsdotter. She would have been about 40 years old in 1842. On the other hand, I loose track of this family in 1811. It is possible that Nils Olsson and Karna Pehrsdotter had additional children after 1811, that might be a mother or father to John Swancer.  
It seems very unlikely that a son – his last name would be Nilsson – would give rise to the name Swancer in America. So I would guess we would keep an extra eye on the daughters.
An interesting fact is that Ola Hökberg went to Stockholm in 1842. Did he go to Stockholm to live with his brother/sister’s family (you say they emigrated from Stockholm), and then when they emigrated about 1847, he moved back to his sister Botilla Nilsdotter???

I am pretty sure, based on my gut feeling, that Nils Olsson and Karna Pehrsdotter are John Swancer's maternal grandparents.

The Carl Jönsson/Carl Strömberg/Charles Strömberg family
the painter Charles Strömberg born September 24 1798, Örknered
Wife: Botilla Nilsdotter, born January 21 1805, Gammalstorp
Their children:
Hilda Sophia, born February 9, 1833, Karlshamn
Nils Olof, born August 28, 1834, Karlshamn
Johanna Maria, born May 29, 1836, Karlshamn
Carl Johan, born February 12, 1838, Karlshamn
Amanda Matilda, born 1839, Karlshamn. Dead November 18, 1842, Karlshamn.
Johan Ludvig, born January 23, 1842, Karlshamn. Dead May 6, 1843, Karlshamn.  
Johan Ludvig, born November 25, 1843, Karlshamn
Gustava Carolina, born December 20, 1846, Karlskrona. Died March 10, 1847, Karlshamn.
Christian Gottfrid, born October 10, 1848, Karlshamn

New info is that Nils Olof also went to America, but in 1853. And maybe the most important new info of all, the Emigranten records (previously mentioned on Anbytarforum) that stated that Carl John Strömberg was born 1843 is completely wrong. In all records I have looked in Carl Johan is born February 12 1838, and that concur with the info you have. There is no doubt what so ever, that the Charles Strömberg family is the right one.

Chris Bingefors had written earlier that the mix-up on the birth date for Carl Johan Strömberg was a mistake in the Emibase register and that the birth date was February 12, 1838, in Karlshamn. In a follow-up e-mail, he wrote: When he marries in Aug 1831, he did not have the proper papers so they had to advertise for any impediments known to the marriage (source: Karlshamn EI:3 (1830-1861) Bild 16 / sid 25 (AID: v96025.b16.s25, NAD: SE/LLA/13199)). The marriage notice also says that Botilla´s father gave permission, but I lose them in Gammalstorp in the mid 1810s. At least she has 2 sisters (Bengta and Hanna,older) and one brother, Ola (b 1811), who is in apprenticeship with Carl Strömberg.   Thomas i Kvarnan reconciled this inconsistency:  If anyone did leave his home parish without permission and lived elsewhere (at an unknown location), he or she always had to advertise in a special newspaper before he or she could get married.  This was to ensure that there hadn't been a marriage during his or her absence.  If no wife or husband showed up, the marriage could proceed.  Chris had also sent information about paintings Carl Strömberg had done in different churches and houses during the 1830's, so perhaps he had left the area to work in the years between he left home in 1813 and was married in 1831.

Janerick Ericksson sent me the 1870 and 1880 US census data that showed Carl J. Strömberg (b. 1798) was indeed a painter and so was his son Charles, as well as a printer and stationer. I have had no luck in finding John Swancer's mother or sister or brother in the US census data.  I don't have the mother's first name, and I don't know if the rest of the family changed their surname to Swancer or kept the Swedish patronymic name. I contacted the Swensson center at Augustana College in Illinois, but they could find nothing for me on the Swancers.  

If anyone has any more ideas of where to look for John Swancer and his family, I would be most grateful to hear them. Thanks to everyone who volunteers to do research on Anbytarforum!  Mary Nelson Keithahn

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna