ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emanuel Engström  (läst 1594 gånger)

2006-10-05, 20:50
läst 1594 gånger

Anita Karlsson

Hallo!
I wonder if anybody know what was happening to   Emanuel Engström,(born with the surname Eriksson but changed surname before he left Sweden) born 1882 August 15, in the parrish Lysvik, in Sweden?  He emmigranted to USA in 1902 April 11. He emmigranted from Gothenborg with the destination to Grand Rapids, Mill Creek, in Michigan.He emmigranted together with Olof Albert Persson born 1879 February 6 in the parrish Lysvik , with the same destination.I hope that someone can give me information about him. I have had these information on Spårlöst försvunna personer on the roots.
Sincerely,
Anita Karlsson

2006-10-08, 01:26
Svar #1

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Did he have any other given name?  I could not find an Emanuel Engstrom, even when I searched under given name only, using his birth country and his age as limiting factors in the search.  I found an Emanuel Erickson, but he emigrated in the wrong year.  Do you think he might have used another given name, and then I can search using all spellings of Emanuel and both surnames of Erikson/Erickson/Eriksson or Engstrom.

2006-10-08, 02:22
Svar #2

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
He is listed with Eriksson on Emihamn.

First name: EMANUEL
Last name: ERIKSSON
Parish: LYSVIK     County: S
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1902 04 11
Destination: GRAND RAPIDS
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 69:386:25495

This is his friend leaving with the very next ticket.

First name: OLOF A
Last name: PERSSON
Parish: LYSVIK     County: S
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1902 04 11
Destination: GRAND RAPIDS
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 69:386:25496

This is the listing from Emibas. I still don't see Engström listed for him.

Post 801946

Eriksson, Emanuel
Hemmansägarson (unmarried man)

b. 8/18/1882

Emigrated 3/29/1902
from Berga Västra, Lysvik, Värmlands län (Värmland)
to Nordamerika

0551902023 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 95

Emibas migration file ID: Lysvik S 1902 023

This is Albert's listing.

Post 801945

Persson, Olof Albert
Hemmansägarson (unmarried man)

b. 2/6/1879

Emigrated 3/29/1902
from Berga Västra, Lysvik, Värmlands län (Värmland)
to Nordamerika

0551902022 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 80

Emibas migration file ID: Lysvik S 1902 022

I have an Emanuel who sometimes was spelled as Immanuel in records, so maybe that spelling will work. If you are searching Ancestry.com ship records, I don't think they are complete. I have people I've found on microfilm but they aren't on those lists. If you are searching Ellis Island (port of New York), remember that many entered through a different port.

Judy

2006-10-08, 10:59
Svar #3

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
He is listed in Ellis Island as Emanuelson (!) Erikson from Lysvik aged 20, arrives 1902 from Liverpool on Aug 1 (from Liverpool 23 July), S/S Celtic. Destination: Norcross, MN och Uncle August Olson.

2006-10-09, 02:08
Svar #4

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I found very few options when I searched the census, so I hope that Anita Karlsson is still watching this thread!
1) There is a 28 year old Emanuel Erickson (correct age)living in Grand Rapids, Kent County, MI on the 1910 census. The census says that he came in 1890, but the date of immigration is often incorrect.  This Emanuel Erickson was living with Abbie L. Erickson, who was 22 years old.  It says that she was a sister, but she was born in MI, not in Sweden.  He worked in a furniture factory.
2)  The same Emanuel Erickson (spelled Erikson on this census) was again listed in 1920, Kent County, Michigan, and was still living with Abbie Erickson and it says she was a sister.  Also, it continues to say that he immigrated in the 1890s, not in 1902.
3)  I searched the 1910 census for Grant Co., Minnesota (Norcross) and could not find the names of Erickson, Emanuelson, Engstrom, Person, Persson, or even the uncle August Olson.  Sorry I could be of little help.

2006-10-13, 22:20
Svar #5

Anita Karlsson

Hi Karen, Chris and Judy,

Thank you so very much for your searching. I have had a lot to do so I haven?t got any time to write back to you.
If I answer Karen first, I want to tell her that Emanuel with Abbie is not right, they earlier have checked them and they are not the right persons.I really don?t know if he maybe changed his name when he came to USA. His parents heard from him for about two years but after that they never heard anything from him.

Judy has the right information, but I think they had the wrong birthday, he was birth August 15 1882, not 18.Olof was his friend from Sweden and he emigrants together with him.

Chris, I don?t think that your person is the right.

I know after two years searching after him, that it?s very difficult to find out something, which tell us what was happening to him.But I still hope that someone can help us .....or maybe his probably children. We don?t know if he got any children but we think so as we have heard from relatives.I wish that some of his probably children would see this side on Roots.
Sincerely,
Anita.

2006-12-07, 21:37
Svar #6

anita.karlsson

Hi!
Now I?ll make a new search for my father?s uncle Emanuel Engström born 1882, August 15 in Lysvik parrish,Värmland,Sweden. I really hope that someone sometime would find him in some county for me. It would be so nice to here if he got a family with children. His parents never heard anything from him after1903. He arrived to USA in 1902 in Mill Creeks,Grand Rapid,Michigan and he worked in a tanner.His sister got a picture, portrait of him and he had been on Rose Studio, Grand Rapids, Michigan.In an old estate inventory after his mother(in 1932)it stood that Emanuel would be dead earlier. He had lived in Chicago and he would have had children but they don?t know how many or if it were boys or girls.I don?t know how they had got the information.Please if someone find some information, I would be really happy. I think he must have changed his name, or why else would it be so hard to find him? I wonder if anyone of you can give me an advice what I can do, make a notice in the newspaper or? I really hope for you, I know you seem to find out a lot of searching.
Sincerely,
Anita Karlsson.

2006-12-08, 00:11
Svar #7

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Anita

You are looking very hard for your Emanuel:-)

I think I will start with the ww1 draft card mentioned earlier in another thread

WWI Draft registration, Chicago, Cook, Illinois, Sept 12, 1918  
Emil Engstrom, b. Aug 15, 1883, car builder, wife Annie, short, stout, blue eyes, bald.  

Even if it is one year wrong, is this a man that it might be.

In Census 1910 is the following man
1910 United States Federal Census  
about Emil Angstrom  
Name: Emil Angstrom  
Age in 1910: 26  
Estimated birth year: abt 1884  
Birthplace: Sweden  
Relation to Head of House: Head  
Father's Birth Place: Sweden  
Mother's Birth Place: Sweden  
Spouse's name: Anna  
Home in 1910: Chicago Ward 30, Cook, Illinois  
Marital Status: Married  
Race: White  
Year of Immigration: 1903  
Neighbors: View others on page  
Household Members: Name Age  
Emil Angstrom 26  
Anna Angstrom 20  
Clifford Angstrom 2  
Oscar Angstrom 11/12  

His occupation is Car repair in Car shop

The family in 1920
1920 United States Federal Census  
about Amel Engstrom  
Name: Amel Engstrom  
Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 31, Cook (Chicago), Illinois  
Estimated birth year: abt 1884  
Birthplace: Sweden  
Relation to Head of House: Head  
Spouse's name: Annie  
Father's Birth Place: Sweden  
Mother's Birth Place: Sweden  
Marital Status: Married  
Sex: Male  
Home owned: Rent  
Year of Immigration: 1892  
Able to read: Yes  
Able to Write: Yes  
Image: 619  
Amel Engstrom 36  
Annie Engstrom 30  
Clifford Engstrom 12  
Oscar Engstrom 10  
Charles Engstrom 6  
Robert Engstrom 4 3/12  
Esther Engstrom 2 1/12  

The immigration year is wrong, but it is the same as his wife so....

This might be Robert in 1930, it says on the original document that his father was Swedish and his mother Norwegian
1930 United States Federal Census  
about Robert Engstrom  
Name: Robert Engstrom  
Home in 1930: Nettle Creek, Grundy, Illinois  
Estimated birth year: abt 1916  
Birthplace: Illinois  
Relation to Head of House: Lodger  
Education:
Military Service:
Rent/home value:
Age at first marriage:
Parents' birthplace: View image  
Henry Larson 41  
Leo Rose Larson 34  
Marcellus Larson 15  
Robert Engstrom 14  

And without any evidence at all, this might be the mother
ENGSTROM  ANNIE F/W  UNK  6029867 1921-12-15 COOK CHICAGO   21-12-24

You have earlier got two potential dates for Emil's death

I hope someone else can add some more about this family, I'm going to bed now

2006-12-08, 21:31
Svar #8

anita.karlsson

Mats!

Thank you for your answer. Yes I?m be very glad if someone found anything about him. Maybe your Amel would be our Emanuel and I hope someone could help you with the searching in the Chicago-area.

Anita.

2006-12-09, 16:09
Svar #9

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
There is also a listing for an Emil Engstrom in the 1920 census for Chicago, which I think is a different person from those previously mentioned:
1920 U.S. federal census

2006-12-09, 16:30
Svar #10

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Hi
The candy man has earlier been discussed and found to be another man

See this post where also a lot more info about the search for Emanuel can be found (but it is in Swedish)

2006-12-09, 17:09
Svar #11

anita.karlsson

Hi Karen and Mats!
I now looked in the post and yes he is not my Emanuel. When I looked in the post I now remembered Emil and Anna discussion. I hope that someone else have another information to give us.  
Anita.

2006-12-10, 14:08
Svar #12

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
The local genealogical society in Grand Rapids might know some source that would have Emanuel Erickson Engstrom's name listed, such as an old directory or telephone book.  I did not see a 1910 directory listed on the Kent County website, but the city might have one.  Try this address, & in case the e-mail address does not work, write to them via snail mail. Tell them you have been looking for a long time for this ancestor, giving whatever information you have.

Grand Rapids Historical Society  
c/o Grand Rapids Public Library  
111 Library Street NE  
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(616) 988-5402  ext. 5497
Email: info@grhistory.org
URL: http://www.grhistory.org/  

I looked at the Kent County, MI on-line marriage database, and did not see any Engstrom or Erickson/Erikson who was listed.  There was an E.L. Erickson, but that was the closest I found.  http://www.rootsweb.com/~mikent/marriages/

Usually, when an immigrant settled somewhere, he usually petitioned for citizenship immiediately, completing the process five years later.  There is no Engstrom in the on-line Michigan database for Kent County, MI.  http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mhc_sa_kentntrlztn_ef-g_50307_7.pdf
There is an IMMANUEL ERIKSON listed, but I do not know where to get a hold of that document to see if it is your Emanuel Engstrom.  It was his final petition made in Kent county, not the initial, in Vol 77 page 234.  No dates are given.
Then it says:
Researchers may request copies of naturalization records from the Archives of Michigan. Click Archives of Michigan Requests for further information, but it might cost quite a lot to follow through with this one possibility at this site.
http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-17449_18640_18660-57424--,00.html

That is all I can think of this morning.

2006-12-10, 19:01
Svar #13

anita.karlsson

Hi Karen!

Thank´s for your answer to me.Yes I will try to write a letter to them and tell them my story about Emanuel. I just think there would be some answer in Grand Rapid, Michigan,where he lived and when he probably moved to another place.

Best wishes,
Anita.

2006-12-11, 00:23
Svar #14

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
If he was Lutheran, there might be information on his move into and out of one of the Lutheran congregations in Grand Rapids at Vaxjö.
  I found two of my lost ancestors that way.

2006-12-14, 02:30
Svar #15

Chuck Mäki

At Swenson center I checked Grand Rapids two lutheran churches films and 1 covenant church but did not find either man listed as members.

2006-12-15, 00:32
Svar #16

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks for looking at Swenson, Chuck. You helped me find my lost ancestors in church records last year, so I knew there was a chance that Anita Karlsson might find her Engström ancestors that way.  It was kind of you - to look for Anita, and to have found mine.
   Karen

2006-12-15, 16:10
Svar #17

Anita Karlsson

Hi Chuck!
Thanks for your help to find my Emanuel.
Anita

2006-12-16, 03:12
Svar #18

Chuck Mäki

I went back to Swenson to check on baptismal records at the churches but did not find Emanuel listed as a parent.
I went to ancestry cds for the 1920 census and did not find him in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.  The Chicago cd did not have a man named Emanuel but had for age range 38 and 39 guys with given names of Charles, Dariel, Leonard, and Nills.
The Chicago city directory for 1917 did not list an Emanuel.  In 1923 we had an Emanuel Engstrom listed as a bookbinder living at 1760 N. Wells and an Emanuel listed as a polisher living at 7437 Langley Ave.
In 1929 we had an Emanuel listed as a painter living at 1317 Sedgwick and an Emanuel listed as a stamper living at 815 Milton Avenue.  In all of the city directory listings, I did not find another Engstrom residing at the same addresses with each of the Emanuel guys.
That's about the extent of what I was able to do at Swenson but perhaps this will mesh with something somebody else finds.
Chuck

2009-08-22, 08:37
Svar #19

Anita Karlsson

Hi

I wonder if anyone could go on with the answer I got from Chuck Mäki upside? I wonder if anyone could find out more information about:

In 1923 we had an Emanuel Engstrom listed as a bookbinder living at 1760 N. Wells and an Emanuel listed as a polisher living at 7437 Langley Ave.
In 1929 we had an Emanuel listed as a painter living at 1317 Sedgwick and an Emanuel listed as a stamper living at 815 Milton Avenue. In all of the city directory listings, I did not find another Engstrom residing at the same addresses with each of the Emanuel guys.

Please, if anyone could help me to find out more information about the Emanuels´ and if someone of them got children and family. Is there anyone who could find out when the Emanuels´upside were born?

I too wonder if anyone have some picture of Rose Studio which I search for upside? I remember that I got a picture from a woman, of Grand Rapids in Michigan, but I have lost it because of that my computer laid off.

Regards,

Anita Karlsson

2009-08-22, 08:50
Svar #20

Anita Karlsson

Hi,

I forgot to tell you that I wish to search for Emanuel in Chicago because of that it in his mother´s estate inventory (in 1930\)stood that Emanuel had been in Chicago but he was now dead. No one didn´t know if he got a family. The family never heard anything from him.

Regards,

Anita Karlsson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna