ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Ekman , Aron  (läst 4612 gånger)

2010-03-13, 04:35
läst 4612 gånger

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 40
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-05-06, 21:26
    • Visa profil
Hello everyone,  

I'm new to the forum so first of all let me introduce myself.My name is Lori & I live in New York State, USA  

My husband's ancestors originate in Sweden and I'm trying to build an accurate family tree for him, however, not speaking Swedish does have limitations and although I have been able to find a certain amount of good information to further my research it is now becoming more difficult. Therefore I am hoping that someone here with knowledge of Sweden and it's birth,death and marriage registration systems may be able to help me out.

Some of his ancestry I already know from family, and word of mouth, and I do have a copy of the passenger list which bought my husband's great grandparents and their family to the USA;this has been verified by information found on Genline.com.

He was Aron Ekman and his wife was Amanda Justina Gadd, they arrived with their children in May 1914, travelling from Jonkopings,Sofia to New York-I apologise here if I get any of the Swedish place names slightly wrong in spelling or in any other way.Their eldest son JOhn had arrived in New York slightly earlier in 1911, and Aron, Amanda and family are joining him at his address according to the passenger list.They are also travelling with Gustav and Anna Nilsson and their young family; Anna is the daughter of Aron & Amanda.

Aron was born on 11/11/1859 in Aker,Jonkopings, the son of Anders Nilsson Ekman, who was a shoemaker, and his wife Ingrid Christinna Johansdotter.Anders Nilsson Ekman was born 3 April 1829 in Åker, Jonkopings, Sweden , but this is all I have on him,the source a household schedule on Genline.com. Aron too became a shoemaker, his mother Ingrid was born 26 October 1828 in Åker, Jonkopings, Sweden, but again this is all I have on her.  

His wife Amanda Justina Gadd was born on 30 March 1863 in Öreryd, Jonkopings, Sweden, to parents Magnus Gadd and Anna Stina Josefsdotter. I have no other information on them except that on Amanda's birth record his occupation is given as a soldier.Amanda and Aron married in Öreryd, Jonkopings on 22 December 1883, their place of residence was given as Kvisttorp.

What isn't clear is why on Amanda's cemetery record at Ivory Cemetery in New York her maiden name is given as Munson? It has been said by older family members that the Munsons were originally Magnusson in Sweden and the name was Americanized later, as has been discovered with the Nilssons who became Nelson, but on Amanda's birth and marriage record it clearly gives her name as Amanda Justina Gadd, daughter of Magnus.Below is a copy of the online cemetery record for the Eckman's[there seems to have been a 'c' added on American records].

ECKMAN  Aaron   11-14-1859      10-29-1937      yes     Lot 26   born in Sweden  
          Amanda Munson 3-31-1862       2-23-1934       yes     Lot 26   born in Sweden  
        John    1887    1961    yes     Lot 26   born in Sweden  
NELSON  Anna Eckman     5-19-1884       12-31-1958      yes     Lot 26   born in Sweden  
        Henning 6-26-1881       12-1-1951       yes     Lot 26  

Amanda's birth record was from the http://www.jbgf.se/index.htm website, as was her marriage to Aron and the births of their children. Aron's birth and family information was taken from the Genline.com website.They had 6 children, 5 of whom survived,they also had a daughter,Martha, who they adopted. At present I have no further details on this apart from her year of birth which was 1912, so considerably younger than their other children who were born between 1884-1904.

I would love to find out more about the family, particularly Anders and Ingrid,if I could trace their birth, marriage and parents that would be wonderful, but any additional information would be a bonus. It would also be  good to find out more about the parents of Amanda and to discover why there is the discrepancy with her maiden name, was she Gadd, Magnusson, Munson or indeed Magnusdotter?

Any help, or advice that anyone can give with any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Lori

2010-03-13, 05:54
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Birth records in Sweden generally don't give children's last names. Nor did Amanda Justina's. She was born 30 March 1863 in Öreryd to soldier Magne Gadd (living at Landbogård) and his wife Stina Josephsdotter.
Amanda Justina's marriage record however states that she called herself Gadd.

Gadd was Amanda Justina's father's soldier name. It wasn't a family name, it was the name the Army gave him when he joined up. Soldier names were not meant to be used by family members (indeed, they were supposed to be returned to the regiment on discharge), but by the 1870's-80's many soldier children used their fathers' soldier names as family names. Before 1901 you could at any time use any last name you wished (except a noble name).
But Amanda Justina's true name was Amanda Justina Magnedotter, or Månsdotter since Måns was indeed a Swedish version of Magnus (as was Magne). By the 1880's many women took to using a male patronymic - thus, Månsson (Americanized with one s and turned into Munson). So, as a Swedish genealogist I have no problem with Amanda Justina being called alternatively Gadd, Magnedotter, Månsdotter, Månsson or Munson.

You may wish to read more about Swedish naming practices:  Names (pdf).

Re the adopted Martha, born 1912. Before 1917 adoptions were not legal in Sweden. After 1917 adoption was possible but rare; only in the 1950's when so-called strong adoption (strong meaning that the adoptive parents in every respect replaces the biological parents) became legal did adoptions become the norm rather tahn the exception.
What was very common was fostering. In most cases the child grew up with the fosterparents' name.

You seem to have all relevant data - and a subscription to Genline - to dig further. You needn't worry about the Swedish language; it's mostly set words and phrases which you'll very quickly learn to recognize. Anything else people here or at e.g. the Ancestry or Rootsweb Swedish boards will translate and explain to you.
But please don't think of the JBGF database as a primary source; the excerpts are generally good but since they were done by hand there are numerous errors in them. They're very good for use as an index, but everything must be checked against the original source.

I'd also recommend you to buy one or two books on Swedish genealogy; I believe the most popular one is Cradled in Sweden but there's also one written by Swedish genealogy guru Per Clemensson which is said to be easier for beginners.
You might also want to look at this free booklet, issued by the Swedish Consulate General in New York:  Tracing Your Swedish Ancestry (pdf). This booklet is quite good, but the Internet links are out of date.

Ingela

2010-03-13, 14:56
Svar #2

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
1900 Swedish Census CD:  

Ekman, Aron   1859   Father
Gadd, Amanda Justina   1863   Mother
(Barn), Anna Karolina   1884   Child
(Barn), John Gottfrid   1888   Child
(Barn), Artur Gerhard   1893   Child
(Barn), Gustaf Harry   1899   Child

Record 4592660

Ekman, Aron
Skomakare = shoemaker

b. 1859 in Åker (Jönköpings län, Småland)

Man, married, father

Lägenheter Öster om staden
Jönköpings östra (Jönköpings län, Småland)

Place of birth (original source): Åker Jönköpings län

Record 4592661

Gadd, Amanda Justina

b. 1863 in Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

h.
Woman, married, mother

Place of birth (original source): Öreryd Jönköpings län

Record 4592662

Anna Karolina

b. 1884 in Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

d.
Girl, child

Record 4592663

John Gottfrid

b. 1888 in Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

s.
Boy, child

Record 4592658

Artur Gerhard

b. 1893 in Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

s.
Boy, child

Record 4592659

Gustaf Harry

b. 1899 in Jönköping (Jönköpings län, Småland)

s.
Boy, child

Place of birth (original source): Jönköping Jönköpings län

1890 Swedish Census CD:

Ekman, Aron   1859   F
Gadd, Amanda   1863   M
(Barn), Anna   1884   Ch
(Barn), John   1888   Ch

Post 1041454

Ekman, Aron
Skomakare

b. 1859 i Åker (Jönköpings län, Småland)

Man, married (father)

Qvisttorp
Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

Place of birth (original source): Åker, Jönk.l.

Post 1041455

Gadd, Amanda

b. 1863 i Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

h.
Woman, married (mother)

Qvisttorp

Place of birth (original source): Öreryds

Post 1041456

Anna

b. 1884 i Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

d.
Girl (child)

Qvisttorp

Post 1041457

John

b. 1888 i Öreryd (Jönköpings län, Småland)

s.
Boy (child)

Qvisttorp

Judy

2010-03-13, 16:54
Svar #3

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Dear Ingela,

Thank You so much for taking the time to explain so much to me. I really appreciate it.  
I have managed to find 2 references to Aron Ekman and his father/mother Anders and Ingrid on Gen-line but that is where I run into  
a brickwall. Are there any clues in these listings as to where I should look next that I am missing ?
I just can't seem to track Anders any farther back to his parents or even forward to when and where he may have died as well as any other children they may have had.

Genline 231.23.16100
Birth date November 11, 1859
Baptism date - November 13, 1859
Child's Name - Aron
Father - Shoemaker Anders Ekman
Mother - Ingrid Johansdotter
Mother's age - 31
Place where they lived in parish - B, Broen at Elgebo  

See the following reference on Genline - down toward the bottom of the page.
231.15.24200,  [Jönköping]  Åker,  AI:12, Household examination, 1856 - 1860, 232/0,  Image 242 of 326  

The explaination on the Soldier name of Gadd is most helpful and it explains the confusion I had of the Magnusson / Munson name  
for Amanda. Is there any way to find out what Magne Gadd's  name was originally to track him as well ? I did read that they were transcribed by hand and might not be the most accurate but they were a starting place. Are there other places besides there & Gen-Line that are as good for finding records in other areas as well on line ?
I know it is a lot of questions but after reading through this site ( I used Google translator to read most of it ) and seeing how wonderful the people here are  
I knew I had found a place that was friendly and helpful and didn't mind answering questions by beginners :}

Thank You so Much ,  

Lori

2010-03-13, 17:19
Svar #4

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Dear Judy ,  

Thank You so much ! That confirms what I do have from the more un-reliable source and at least gives me more information on the parishs I should be looking in. Is there anywhere on-line that I can look in the Åker parish at records ? Are there any other places either free or paid that I might find answers as well ?
I can't seem to get back to find who Anders Ekman's father is or who is siblings may have been.

Thank You ,  

Lori

2010-03-13, 18:25
Svar #5

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 271
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-10, 16:19
    • Visa profil
Hi Lori!  The Genline reference you gave above for the Åker household examination record says that Aron's father Anders Nilsson Ekman was born 3/4 (3 Apr) 1829 in Käfsjö parish (modern spelling Kävsjö), Jönköpings Län.  The Kävsjö birth books (Kävsjö C:2 1822-1860 Page 35, GID 970.17.61800) only lists one Anders born in 1829 but on 29 Jun 1829 in Bäckaryd village, Kävsjö and his parents were Nils Jacobsson and Eva Carlsdotter.  You can find out if the date in the household examination record was written down incorrectly (a common occurrence) and this is the right Anders by following him backwards starting with the Åker household examination record.  On Page 232 it says that the family moved in 1857 from Page 64, Häradsjö. In the 1851-1856 household examination record there is a table of contents at the beginning that shows the ortregister (place register) is on page 347, there you will find the village of Haradsjö on page 308 (GID 231.14.92900) and Anders is there about 2/3rds of the way down on page 308.  (If he wasn't found on that page, you would just continue through the rest of the pages for the village till you found him.)  Under the Flyttningnar (moving) column it says he moved in there 1855 från (from) Angjerdhestra (modern spelling Angerdhestra), so now you need to look at the Flyttningslangd (moving book) or Utflyttningslangd (moving out book) for that parish, which is also in Jönköpings Län, to follow him further backwards.

I'd encourage you to look at the publications/books cited by Ingela, you should get a better understanding of the records and how to do the research from them.

Another source for the records is AD-Online (www.arkivdigital.se), which also requires a paid subscription.  The images are much clearer than Genline since they took color digital photos of the original books, but the menus are all in Swedish so the program takes some time to become familiar with it for the non-Swedish speaker.

Best regards,
Carl

2010-03-13, 19:38
Svar #6

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl ,  

Thank You so much , All of you have been so helpful !!
I will use all of the help and references you have provided to see if I can track this better. I'm always willing to learn and having such helpful people to point the way is amazing :}
I'm sure I will have a million more questions but I promise I will get better at this  lol

Thanks to All who helped me  ,  

Lori

2010-03-16, 01:07
Svar #7

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi All ,  

I tracked everything back that you listed Carl to see if I could do it myself and I found the records with no problem. I then moved on to tracking him to Angerdshestra moving in moving out records but the only records that come up in that search are for 1861 - 1894. How do I find the 1855 records ? Am I doing something wrong ? I selected Jonkoping as the County and Angerdshestra as the parish?

Thank You ,  

Lori

2010-03-17, 16:33
Svar #8

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Lori!  You did nothing wrong, it turns out that some of the moving records for Angerdshestra are in the books for Bottnaryd parish, along with a couple of other parishes.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find Anders in the moving out logs for 1854-1856.  But...

In the moving records for Åker, there is a flyttningsbevis (moving certificate) for Anders (before he moved, he went to the parish priest in Angerdshestra and was given a document that tells the priest in his new parish his date of birth, ability to read, among other things).  It's at GID 231.27.4900 (the reverse side of the paper is on the next page) and it's very difficult to read, but at least says that he in 1852 he moved in to Mulseryd parish.  Mulseryd is one of the other parishes in that book for Bottnaryd (in/utflyttningslängd 1850-1860), and on page 25 or GID 250.10.69300 he is listed as having moved to page 251 in Mulseryd (couldn't find him there though) from Stenshult, which seems to be short for Stengårdshult.

On page 10 of the 1851-1864 utflyttingslängd for Stengårdshult, Anders Nilss Ekman is #48 (GID 1135.10.6600), moving from Socknens Slut in Stengårdshult to Mulseryd.  The good news here is that his birth date is listed as 29 Jun 1829, so the birth record found earlier really was him, and apparently sometime between moving to Mulseryd in 1852 and moving to Åker in 1855, a priest wrote the wrong birth month and day for him.

In the Stengårdshult household examination record for 1840-54, he is listed on Page 249 (GID 1135.6.15800) at Wid Socknen called På Socknen in the place register, I think that means he didn't have a specific address in the parish.  He is Anders Nilsson without any other surname, he moved out in 1852 to Mulseryd and he moved into the parish in 1851 from Vissafors (not sure if I'm reading that right, I can't find a parish by that name and the village with the most similar name in Stengårdshult is Åsafors, but I didn't find him there either.

MVH,
-Carl

2010-03-17, 23:16
Svar #9

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl ,  

You are fantastic ! What a help ! I guess the point is look everywhere because records aren't always where they are supposed to be  lol
Again I did the searches to see if I could find your records by tracing the steps and I did it ! I can see your frustration on that Parish name and yours made the most sense but since it didn't work I am trying another called  Nässjö fors ( I hope I spelled it right ) If I have any luck I'll post it here :}
I don't give up easily  lol

Thank You again so much ,

Lori

2010-03-18, 15:31
Svar #10

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Lori, another thing to try is to look for the household examination record for Kävsjö from around his birth year 1829, and find the village of Bäckeryd to locate Anders and his family, then follow them forward from there.  You'll probably want to do this anyways so you can find out more about his father Nils and mother Eva and what happened to them.

best regards,
-Carl

2010-03-18, 21:54
Svar #11

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl ,  

Great idea ! I think I found him but are families not listed together ? I have a Nils Jacobsson in Kävsjö a1-6 Household Exam 1814-1830 pg 96 , 970.9.75400
I don't see Eva though unless it is just un-readable  
Am I also reading that one correctly that his birth is August 5 , 1796 and he moved in there in 1828 from Gnosjö ? and 1829 from or to Fröderyd ?  
Thank You ,  

Lori

2010-03-18, 22:09
Svar #12

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
ooops ,  

I see Eva Carlsdotter 2 spaces above him ?/28 1801 ? 1726 Bondstorp - 29 ?
Still looking :}

2010-03-18, 22:26
Svar #13

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
and it looks like the same person on the next page as well , 970.9.7550

2010-03-18, 23:39
Svar #14

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Here is the whole family in Kävsjö Household Exam. 1831-1839 pg. 127  970.10.92500  :}

2010-03-19, 00:34
Svar #15

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Carl ,  
Can you rescue me yet again ?  :}

Last one today I promise !  lol

They were easy to track to a point and here is where not being able to read Swedish comes in I guess.
I have them here :

Kävsjö Household Exam 1840-1845 pg 138  970.11.109400   Does that say Eva died Dec 2 , 1845 ?

Then :

Kävsjö Household Exam  1846-1850  pg 137 970.13.16000  

Anders and brother Carl are gone and there is a lot of writing at the end that may or may not say where they went ?
I'd appreciate any translating you care to do !

Thank You ,  
Lori

2010-03-20, 17:38
Svar #16

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Lori, I think you're doing pretty good, especially for someone who's just started.  You're correct that Eva died 2 Dec 1845.  Her death record is on page 125 of the birth/marriage/deaths book for 1822-1860, it looks like the cause of death was förkylning but I don't know what that is.

The entries you found for them in the 1814-1830 household exam are from before their marriage.  Eva moved to Bäckaryd page 96 in 1826 from Mjugaryd Norregård (page 92) and you were correct that Nils moved to page 96 in 1828 from Gnosjö.  Both move in 1829 to Frälsebo, you'll find them on page 83 at the bottom of the page, now married and with son Anders.  If you look in the Kävsjö marriage book for 1829 you'll likely find their marriage date.  The entry you found for Nils on page 97 was actually an earlier entry, he moved there in 1822 from Slungsås (another village in Kävsjö) and moved out in 1824 to Mjug Ng which might be Mjugaryd Norregård.  

You were correct that Nils' birth date was written as 5 Aug 1796, in some of the records it also says his birth place was Kävsjö.  Eva's birth date may have been 23 or 26 Nov 1801 and her place of birth was Tostaryd, I'm not sure but that could be Tostared in Älvsborgs Län.  

In 1846 Nils and his children are moved from Uppebo to page 152, i socknen boende uten förvar och histämdt hemvist, I think that means in the parish but without a particular address.  In the far right column it says bor uti och eger backstugen Åkroken under Uppebo which I think means that he had lived at and owned the cottage called Åkroken in the village of Uppebo.  The family is moved back to page 152 without any date being given, Anders moves from here in 1849 to what looks like Källerå, which might be Källeryd.  Nils is moved back to the bottom of page 152 in 1849, underneath his name it says barnen se afven or the children see above. The son Carl Johan moves from here in 1849 to Slungsås (page 95) and in 1850 he moves to page 109, Mjugaryd Mellangård.

Nils, his 2 daughters, and son Lars Magnus are at the same place in the 1851-1855 book, on page 164.  Stina Cajsa moves in 1852 to page 27.  The other daughter Cajsa moves in 1854 to what looks like Kävsjö Vstrg, I couldn't find her but in the 1880 census this might be her, married and living with her family at Qvistbro parish in Örebrö Län.
Johan Emil Andersson, f. 1846 i Kvistbro Örebro län, Hemmansägare
Kajsa Nilsdotter, f. 1838 i Kävsjö Jönköpings län
Karl Johan, f. 1875 i Kvistbro Örebro län
Alma Karolina, f. 1877 i Kvistbro Örebro län
Frans Emil, f. 1879 i Kvistbro Örebro län

2010-03-20, 18:45
Svar #17

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl ,  

Once again you amaze me ! Thank you for the compliment as well.  
I have now tracked Anders for every year but one, I think  lol
All are Genline Numbers  

Birth 1829 in Kävsjö Births 1822-1861 C:2  - 970.17.61800  
Kävsjö Household Exam A1:7 1831-1839       - 970.10.92500
Kävsjö 1840-1845 Household Exam A1:8       - 970.11.109400
Kävsjö 1846-1850 Household Exam A1:9       - 970.13.16000
Stengårdshult 1851-1864 Moving Out B:3     - 1135.10.66000
Mulseryd 1844-1859 Household Exam A1:5     - 1116.5.71500   to ( I was told unknown parish )
Bottnaryd Movin In/Out 1850-1860 B1:4      - 250.10.69300
Åker Household Exam 1851-1856 A1:11        - 231.14.92900
Åker Household Exam 1851-1856 A1:12        - 231.15.24200

Making sense ?  lol
Sometimes he uses Ekman and sometimes not but it was Mulseryd Parish that the Birthdate first showed up wrong so does this pretty much settle the fact that we have the right person ?  :}

Thank You Again !!

Lori

2010-03-20, 19:19
Svar #18

Utloggad Harriet Hogevik

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 721
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-05, 06:25
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl and Lori, förkylning is a common cold. Probably some respiratory problems was the cause of death.
Harriet

2010-03-20, 19:28
Svar #19

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Harriet ,  

Thank You !  
I saw that on a lot of them and did wonder  lol

Lori

2010-03-20, 22:48
Svar #20

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
I have easily tracked Anders forward as well with no problem until I got to this record and I assume they moved ?

Åker A1:17 Household Exam 1884-1895  - 231.40.2900

I have picked up a few Swedish words and I'm getting better at deciphering the records but this one got me again :}

Lori

2010-03-21, 08:54
Svar #21

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Lori, it's better if you give the page numbers (handwritten) than the Genline identification code (231. etc), as some of us use other online church book providers, such as ArkivDigital/AD Online and SVAR, or even the old time micro fiche (before digitalisation started ). I use the other two, but I could follow them even if it meant I had to check quickly in each volume (but there is a register to villages, farms and cottages in AD Online )

As you had a parallell discussion for Anders' whereabouts here, I made some comments there, I see now that the same research has partly been done above.

I guess your reference is to the page with handwritten number 61, Föreberg Norrgård, cottage Brunnsrydet, or is it to page 70?  
They move from Brunnsrydet (page 61) to Qvarnåsen (modern spelling Kvarnåsen) (page 70)  under the farm Föreberg Lillegård in October 1894. There are no notes on the parents on page 70.

The next volume from 1896 and onwards is not available online yet at ADOnline or SVAR, but the parish books until 1938 are available on microfiche. I don't have access to them.

Anders Ekman dies in Åker on 23 November 1908 according to the JBGF database. He is a widower at that time, Ingrid Kristina dies on 3 June 1905. Both dates confirmed in Åker death book 1895-1910 in volume C:9 which is available on ADOnline. Anders and Ingrid Kristina are noted as living in Föreberg Lillgård, Kvarnåsen at the time of their death.

If you contact the Regional Archives in Vadstena and ask for a copy of their estate inventories, you can see where their children are at this time.

regards,
Eva

PS. the place name is Häradsö, not Häradsjö.

(Meddelandet ändrat av edah 2010-03-21 09:06)

2010-03-21, 09:23
Svar #22

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Per Clemensson's book in English that Ingela mentions is Your Swedish Roots (written with Kjell Andersson) and was published in 2004.

Good luck with your search!

regards,
Eva

2010-03-21, 10:26
Svar #23

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Lori, I don't know if your husband's family has been in contact with relatives in Sweden over the years or not, so that research on Aron's siblings is unnecessary, but I find at least Frans Emil Ekman (born 1869) in the cd Swedish Death Index 1947-2006, and he was at the time of his death also living in Kvarnåsen in Åker.

18690528-241 (his personal identity number - somewhat like your SSN)
Ekman, Frans Emil

Föreberg Lilleg. Kvarnåsen

Dead 7/27/1957.

Registered in Åker, Klevshults kn (Jönköpings län, Småland).

Born 5/28/1869 in Åker (Jönköpings län, Småland).

Widower (12/28/1931).
--------------

regards,
Eva

2010-03-21, 13:52
Svar #24

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Eva ,  

Thank You so much ! Any and all information is more then welcome :}
I am still getting the hang of both the board here as well as the research itself. I just started last week on the Swedish end of my husbands roots and I am amazed at how complete the records are once you start figuring out how to find them. I think this board is the best find I have made though because the people are so helpful , friendly and knowledgeable. The kindness shown by each and every one of you is very much appreciated. I have only worked on the direct line so far to make sure that I am researhing the correct family but I do want to know about all the siblings as well. Thank you as well for what information I need to include here as I didn't realize there were so many different sources to look up the same records. I had been told about the AD Online source but I hadn't looked into it much because of the language barrier I was told I would have a problem with. Perhaps it would be worth it though to have clearer copies of the records to subscribe for a time. I just hate to push my luck with to many questions here learning a new search :}
I do have the desire and the patience to learn though as well as not minding putting in the work searching the records so if it isn't abusing the board here I'll keep plugging away and asking for help and advice. My husbands line is the first that I am doing and eventually I would like to find my Grandmothers family as well but for now I am going to concentrate here with this family :}

Thank You ALL again so much ,  

Lori

2010-03-21, 15:36
Svar #25

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Lori, AD Online is offering a free trial this weekend so you can try it out without buying a subscription.  

Getting Started
1) If you are not already registered with us, you need
to register on our website to access over 20 million
images.  http://www.arkivdigital.net/users/register

2) Install AD OnLine2 here:
http://www.arkivdigital.net/products/adonline/installation
When you log in, be sure you write exactly the same
way you did when you registered. There is a
difference between uppercase and lowercase letters.

2010-03-22, 02:04
Svar #26

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl ,  

Thank You so much , I'm going to give it a try :}
With your help I think we have the right family here ( as well as everyone else who helped )  
and I am feeling better about filling in a lot more information about all of the family.
I jusy hope you don't regret sending me to AD Online Carl , I may be pestering you more  lol
I do appreciate you though very much :}

Lori

2010-03-29, 17:45
Svar #27

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi All ,  

I'm back again. I have been doing pretty well with the records but I need a bit of help reading some of the names again. I am tracking Nils jacobsson to his parents and I'm not sure if this is the correct record and if it is how to read the names Jacob ??? & Karin ???  
Nils Jacobsson was born in Kävsjö August 5, 1796 . this record is August 9, 1796 but it is the only Nils I found close to that date with a father Jacob.

Thank You ,  

Lori

2010-03-29, 17:49
Svar #28

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
I'm sorry  , it is Jönköping , Kävsjö A1:3 Household Exam 1790-1799 page 91/173
Genline # 970.6.45600

Thank You ,  
Lori

2010-03-31, 06:00
Svar #29

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hej, Lori!  Incidentally sid means page and bild means photo, so in AD-Online, Bild 91/sid 173 means the 91st photo or image in the series and the 173rd page in the book.

Nils father's name was Jacob Färdig, he was a Ryttare (a mounted soldier).  The mother's name was Karin Håkansdotter.  You were correct that the 1790-1799 book lists Nils' date of birth as 9 Aug 1796, but if you look at the next book (A1:4 Kävsjö 1800-1809 Bild 104/sid 199) his birth date here is 5 Aug 1796.  Unfortunately there do not seem to be any birth books for the parish for that year (maybe they were destroyed in a fire?) so you won't be able to verify the correct date, my guess is that the 9 Aug date was correct and 9 was misread as 5 when the priest copied over the new book for 1800.

The 1800 book also says the family moved in 1810 to Åsenhöga parish, Jönköpings Län but they are still in Kävsjö in the 1810-1814 book (A1:5, Bild 47/sid 41) at the village of Beckaryd, Jacob here is now listed with the title backstugan so he is no longer a soldier.  At least some of the family is crossed out, there's a word I don't recognize then Skomekaren i Åsenhöga or the shoemaker in Åsenhöga, so perhaps some or all of the family has moved there.

2010-04-01, 01:17
Svar #30

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Carl ,  

You seem to be my lifesaver ! I am doing pretty well with the records but being unfamiliar with the Swedish language does trip me up  lol  
You have helped me get much farther then I ever thought I could. And I'm still working at it !
Thank you from the bottom of my heart :}

Lori

2010-04-01, 17:24
Svar #31

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks Lori, I myself have received a great deal of help, especially on this board, so I'm glad I return the favor.

2010-04-26, 15:28
Svar #32

Utloggad Lori Eckman

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi ,  

I found this on line and was wondering if someone could tell me if it is anything to do with my Ekman's or what it is about ?

http://www.nykroppa.se/hbf/nytt_08/talet.pdf

2010-04-26, 17:24
Svar #33

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5383
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 14:38
    • Visa profil
A speech by a Gustaf Ekman at the uncapping of a memorial of King Karl IX in Nykroppa, county of Värmland. Hardly your Ekman.
Ekman is not uncommon.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna