ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emmigration Route and Other Details  (läst 1369 gånger)

2010-06-08, 17:38
läst 1369 gånger

Utloggad Jim Allen

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 10
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-25, 18:17
    • Visa profil
Good day!

I would be interested to learn more about the way in which people emigrated to America. Perhaps there is a book that would be on point that discusses the details of emmigration. The types of questions I have in this regard are, for example:  

1. Why did so many people leave Sweden in the 19th century? Was it simply the availability of cheap land in America?  

2. How did people in Sweden learn that cheap land was available in America? In the case of my ancestors from Kalmar län, how did they learn about land for sale in Cedar county Nebraska (to which they emmigrated, sight unseen)?  

3. Was the purchase of the land consummated prior to leaving Sweden (so that they knew they had somewhere that would be their new home), or did they leave for America without a clear plan for their future?  

4. What route did emmigrants take (by ship direct from Sweden, or did emmigrants go through a German or English port)? In the case of my ancestors, my grandmother told me that her mother arrived in New York.  

5. Had did families manage the expense of the trip to America? In the case of my ancestors, I don't believe they had much money and am curious how they could afford the trip. I assume that the trip would be expensive in 1888 currency, but perhaps that assumption is wrong.  

6. Was food provided to people on the ships, or were passengers responsible for packing their own provisions?  

If you have information or suggestions that would assist me in understanding the process of emmigration from Sweden, I would be interested and most appreciative.  

Thank you.

2010-06-08, 18:02
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Jim, I would suggest that you check out the various pages on my web site: www.etgenealogy.se where you can find answers to some of your questions.

Also check the special page there for Swedish American Genealogist, which is a quarterly journal, published by the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center in Rock Island, Illinois. The Swenson is based on the campus of Augustana College there and has a great collection of material on the Swedish immigration to the U.S.

2010-06-13, 20:10
Svar #2

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 216
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-16, 16:53
    • Visa profil
Jim,

There is no stock answer to your question. It depends in good measure upon when your ancestors immigrated.

In the middle1800 when sailing vessels were the mode of transportation, there were many points of entry along the Eastern seaboard and even the Gulf Coast with Boston being probably the principal one. A common route from Boston, Quebec City, Montreal was across the Great Lakes to Chicago or Milwaukee. In the case of Boston, via rail up to Buffalo  

By the 1860s onward, there were emigrant trains from New York to Chicago. And depending upon the development of the rail network at the time, perhaps the next stage was by train to the Mississippi and then by steamboat if going to such locations as Iowa, Minnesota and beyond. In the case of your relatives, they probably went by rail to their new life.

It should be remembered that Ellis Island and a established system of processing immigrants upon arrival in the United States was a late 19th Century development. The immigrant prior to its establishment arriving in New York simply proceeded to his destination.  Even in the age of steam vessels, Quebec and Montreal as well as Boston and other ports were important points of entry for the immigrant.

With the advent of steam, many Swedish immigrants  leaving from Gothenburg (Göteborg) went to Hull, England, by rail to Liverpool and thence to America. But there were also many that left from Copenhagen and Hamburg.

In the 1870s, 1880s and onward, travel to their destinations after their arrival here was almost exclusively by rail.

Your question as to how they chose where they did is also not a simple one to answer. But in the 1860s and 1870s, many of the newer Western states such as Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas has established government agencies actively soliciting Swedes, Norwegians, Germans, etc to emigrate and take up ther “Homestead” in these sparsely populated and developed states. Then too the Western railroads had also received large grants of government land to help fund their development, and these were actively promoting the sale of their lands to the immigrant, both in his home country, through friends or relative who had immigrated and settled down and to the immigrant who had stopped in the large American city. Minnesota had similar aggressive programs to this end. A Swede by the name of Hans Mattson was Minnesota's first Commissioner of Immigration and as such wrote a pamphlet in 1867 to encourage Swedes and Norwegians to immigrate to this state. He later worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad as a land agent doing the same.

On cannot discount however that first Swede who settled somewhere, did not starve to death but prospered and then wrote back and encourage others in his community in Sweden to come. As the saying goes, “Good word of mouth is the best advertisement.”

Charles LaVine

2010-06-26, 06:58
Svar #3

Utloggad Jim Allen

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 10
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-25, 18:17
    • Visa profil

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna