ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Nilsson, Anders (Nelson, Andrew) b1857 Hjärsås. Emigr 1885 - a mystery  (läst 1043 gånger)

2011-02-27, 05:54
läst 1043 gånger

Utloggad Mary Nelson Keithahn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 81
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-01-17, 06:45
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
My older cousins passed down the story that our grandfather (my farfar, Anders Nilsson/Andrew Nelson, b. August 16, 1857 in Hjärsås, Kristianstad) was on a British sailing ship that burned in the New York harbor and that caused him to stay in the US and immigrate to Sibley County, Minnesota, where he had an uncle and cousins. However, the good people at Anbytarforum have given me evidence that he and his younger brother Nils (Nels Nelson) emigrated from Hjärsås together on March 3, 1885. The only way to resolve this inconsistency would be discovering that Anders went back to Sweden to get Nils after his ship was lost.  I understand Hjärsas records around that time were destroyed in a fire,but am wondering if there is any other way to find out when Anders went to sea (he was away around 7 years) and if he came back home before emigrating to Minnesota.  If I can't find some evidence for the family story, I guess I will just have to stick to the facts. If anyone has advice or information to offer, I will be grateful.  Thank you. Mary Nelson Keithahn

2011-02-27, 09:16
Svar #1

Utloggad Bo Johansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 247
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-07-05, 11:17
    • Visa profil
Genline has household records from 1861 for Hjärsås, and he is found there at Hjärsås number 9 with parents and siblings, in GID 1661.10.46800, [Kristianstad] Hjärsås,  AI.3, Household examination, 1876-1885, page 77, Image 78.

Anders born 1857-08-16 is recorded as a sailor, and he emigrates 1885-03-10 to N.Amerika, at the same time as the brother Nils born 1866-06-07.

There is a remark that MIGHT mean that Anders was absent from his first conscript training in 1878, perhaps he was already a sailor then.

There is also something about not having a certificate covering Apr-Nov 1876, but that is about his brother Per, see the previous HFL GID 1661.9.18200, [Kristianstad] Hjärsås, AI.2, Household examination, 1869-1876, page 69, Image 72.

// Bo Johansson

2011-02-28, 03:55
Svar #2

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Thanks, Bo. This fits with other data I have. Anders' brother Nils wrote my father right after Anders died, and mentioned a few details he evidently thought should be included in his obituary: Anders was graduated from Elementarläroverket in Kristianstad when he was 17 (which would have been about 1874), and he sailed from 19 years of age until 1883. The family thought he had been a sailor for seven years, so he would have been away from home from about 1876 to 1883. That would explain why he missed his first conscript training, as you suggest from the remark in the records. He must have returned to Sweden before emigrating to Minnesota, either because his ship was burned or for some other reason. We don't know if he was on one ship or many during those seven years. His brother Nils wrote that he had visited very country on the globe. One of his obituaries said at one time he was employed as an expert tea sampler for an American firm in China. He was employed in South Africa, he hunted whales in the Alaskan waters, spent several years in Australia and Japan, and worked and studied in most of the countries of Europe. Having had his fill of roaming, Mr. Nelson came to Minnesota to settle down. This may have been the tall tales of an ex-sailor, but if any of it were true experiences, he probably could easily have signed on another ship or booked passage on another ship to get back to Sweden from New York in 1883. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Thanks for your help. Mary

2011-03-05, 17:50
Svar #3

Utloggad Hiel Lindquist

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 43
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-03, 17:20
    • Visa profil
Hello  Mary Nelson Keithahn,
My name is Hiel Lindquist and Bo assisted me with some records from Hjärsås earlier (you can search on my name and see the information).

I wonder if there is a relation between our families?  Hjärsås is such a small village, but then again, the name Nils and Nilsson are quite common.  Here is what I have and it would be great if you could compare to what you have.

My grandmother was Hilda Nelson (Nilsdotter), born 18 Jan 1879 in Hjärsås and she left for Vermont, USA in 1889.  Her father was Nils Nilsson, born 12 Nov 1837 and died in Hjärsås 05 Jul 1887.  Her mother was Kersti Jönsdotter born in Hjärsås 13 Apr 1837.  

I have notes from the records that Nils Nilsson was in Germany 1868-1875.  Also I received a note that he have many other children, but I could not find any records of that (other than the info below).

In addition to Hilda, Kersti Jönsdotter and Nils Nilsson had a son Sven, born in Hjärsås 14 Aug 1876.  The records have another son living with them, Nils Nilsson born 15 Sep 1862.  This is not Kersti's son as she was married 29 Oct 1875.  In your note, you indicated that your ancestor, Anders had a younger brother?

I noticed that Bo indicated that your Nilsson lived at No 9 Hjärsås.  My families lived at No 4, No 5, No 11 and No 12. I also have a note about a Lars Nilsson, but little information.  I have other relatives, all from Hjärsås, with the names Jönsson, Carlsson, Larsson.  

Let me know one way or the other if you see a link to any of these people.  Since many of the Hjärsås church records were destroyed it has been difficult finding information.

kind regards

Hiel Lindquist

2011-03-09, 05:48
Svar #4

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Dear Hiel Lindquist,

Thanks for your inquiry about my family.  I do not believe our families are related, at least not closely. My grandfather, Anders Nilsson (Andrew Nelson), was the second son of Nils Persson and Hanna Truedsdotter.  He was born August 16, 1857. His older brother Per Nilsson (Per Nelson) was born February 24, 1855. The youngest brother was Nils Nilsson (Nels Nelson) and he was born Jun 7, 1866. These are the three that emigrated to Minnesota. A third brother, Sven Nilsson, stayed in Hjärsas 9. He was born June 8, 1860. A sister, Thilda or Tilda, born October 1, 1863, died November 14, 1980, of typhoid fever in Hjärsås. The given names of the children were so commonly used in Hjärsås that you end up with similar surnames for people who are not related.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Mary Keithahn

2011-03-09, 17:01
Svar #5

Utloggad Hiel Lindquist

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 43
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-03, 17:20
    • Visa profil
Thank you for answering my note.  I think you are correct in that our immediate relatives are not related.  There are so few references to Hjärsås that it is worth checking when one appears.

I also have a relative, Sven Nilsson, but he was born in 1876 and he remained in Sweden.  It is too bad the records were destroyed in the fire as there is no way to check on earlier relatives.  From the record, there were 10 of my relatives and left Hjärsås for America.

Here is what I have for my relatives from that area:
Jöns Carlsson b:17 Nov 1800 Hjärså d: 06 Apr 1871 Hjärså
  wife: Anna Larsdotter b:10 Nov 1797 Onslunda d: 16 Feb 1869 Hjärså
  children: Kersti Jönsdotter b:13 Apr 1837 Hjärså
               husband Nils Nilsson b: 12 Nov 1837 Knislinge d: 05 Jul 1887 Hjärså
               children: Sven Nilsson b: 14 Aug 1876 Hjärså
                         Hilda Nilsdotter (Nelson) b: 18 Jan 1879 d: 01 Mar 1934 NH USA

Carl Jönsson b:16 Sep 1834 Hjärså d:Maine, USA
               wife Hanna Niklasdotter b: 17 Feb 1828 Örkened d: NH,USA                
               children: Pernilla Carlsdotter b: 02 Feb 1853 Hjärså d:USA (location unknown)
                         Johannes Carlsson b: 24 May 1858 Hjärså d: 1939 Maine, USA
                         Lissa Carlsdotter b: 19 Jan 1860 Hjärså d: USA
                         Ingrid Carlsdotter b: 18 Jun 1862 Örkened d: USA
                         Anna Carlsdotter b: 05 Jan 1866 Örkened d: NH, USA
                              daughter Alma Nelson b:09 Feb 1889 Hjärså d:1918 WashingtonDC  
                                   (father not known)  
                         Martin Carlsson b: 14 Mar 1871 Hjärså d: NH, USA

Good luck on your search.

Regards

Hiel Lindquist

2011-08-03, 14:02
Svar #6

Utloggad Moderator USA

• Moderator *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1328
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Thread transfered from Discussions in English/Emigrants

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna