ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: How to transcribe Swedish “long s” and “short s + long s” accurately into English  (läst 186 gånger)

2024-07-08, 00:43
läst 186 gånger

Utloggad Linda Johnson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 42
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-08, 19:04
    • Visa profil
 Could someone please tell me how to transcribe the old “long s” accurately into English when it’s used alone or in combination with a “short s”? Please see the attached record from the middle-1800s, which can also be viewed at:
http://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v43241.b30.s22&page=main/index
I’m used to transcribing names like the first one on the page, which has a short s + a long s, as Andersson and believe that is the correct way to do it. I’m not used to seeing patronymics written with only the long s, as they are in the fourth name and the eighth name.
My question is, should I transcribe those names as Johanson or Johansson?
Thank you very much to anyone who can answer this question for me.
Linda Johnson

2024-07-08, 02:55
Svar #1

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4594
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-14, 00:15
    • Visa profil

• Could someone please tell me how to transcribe the old “long s” accurately into English when it’s used alone or in combination with a “short s”? Please see the attached record from the middle-1800s, which can also be viewed at:http://app.arkivdigital.se/production/index.html?aid=v43241.b30.s22&page=main/indexI’m used to transcribing names like the first one on the page, which has a short s + a long s, as Andersson and believe that is the correct way to do it. I’m not used to seeing patronymics written with only the long s, as they are in the fourth name and the eighth name. My question is, should I transcribe those names as Johanson or Johansson?Thank you very much to anyone who can answer this question for me.
  • Linda Johnson

2024-07-08, 11:44
Svar #2

Utloggad KG Hammarlund

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2672
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-12, 17:47
    • Visa profil
It seems as if the vicar often (but not always) uses just one "s", If you leaf through the volume you'll find a Carl Johanson on p. 21 and an Otto Johanson on p. 18. On p. 19, the same individual is recorded twice: first as Carl Fr. Johanson Rask and then as Carl Fredrik Johansson Rask.

A double s is according to standard spelling/name usage of the time, so personally I would transcribe the name with a double s, maybe with a note that the name is spelt with one s in the particular source.

2024-07-08, 19:02
Svar #3

Utloggad Linda Johnson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 42
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-08, 19:04
    • Visa profil
Thank you, Leif and KG. I apologize for not checking to see how my post looked and fixing the font size. I appreciate your doing it for me, Leif. I'll follow your suggestion, KG, for transcribing with a double ss and noting that the vicar sometimes spelled similar names with a single long s.
Best wishes,Linda Johnson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna