ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Fryksdal Clocks  (läst 312 gånger)

2024-06-17, 18:56
läst 312 gånger

Utloggad David Decker-Drane

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 5
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-06-22, 01:25
    • Visa profil
My great-grandfather, William Olson (originally Johan Vilhelm Olsson), left Sweden about 1904 as an orphaned teenager who had recently finished an apprenticeship as a jeweler/watchmaker in Stockholm. He brought with him a clockface and inner workings of a Fryksdal clock that was signed O. Olsson and the placename of "Mahle". Both William's father and grandfather were named Olof Olsson, and the family was in the Takene, Brunskog area of Värmland. (The younger Olof later worked in Söderhamn and Sundsvall, where William was born and raised.) I have only recently learned more about the origins and distinctive design of this clockface (the present-day clock case was made in the U.S. after William's arrival and looks nothing like a typical Fryksdal case), and I am eager to learn more about the production of these clocks and the families who were involved. "Mahle" does not seem to be a place name that is used anymore. I have also seen it referred to as Södra Sånebytorp...I believe along the west coast of Mellan-fryken, south of Sunne. I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me on how I might learn more about this family or about the production of these clocks in this area. Tack så mycket!

2024-06-20, 18:32
Svar #1

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1136
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-15, 21:38
    • Visa profil
Maybe Värmlands museum can help.
varmlandsmuseum.se
museet@varmlandsmuseum.se

Words to look for:
- Fryksdalsur
- Fryksdalsklocka

This book seems to be good, but where to find it in the USA?
https://www.google.se/books/edition/Urmakare_och_klockor_i_Sverige_och_Finla/KO2nAAAACAAJ?hl=sv
https://www.barnebys.se/auktioner/objekt/urmakare-och-klockor-i-sverige-och-finland-aPoB-oHh66

Sunne bibliotek: https://www.bibliotekvarmland.se/-/sunne-bibliotek#/?location=Sunne%20bibliotek

2024-06-20, 20:43
Svar #2

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1136
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-15, 21:38
    • Visa profil
Is this him?

Efternamn:   OLSSON
Förnamn:     JOHAN V
Ålder:       17            Kön: M
Född: 1885/1886
Församling:  SUNDSVALL    Län: Y
Titel/Anm:   
Utresehamn:  GÖTEBORG
Utvandrdag:  1903 09 23
Destination: MT JEWETT PA
Medåkande:   NEJ
Källkod:     74:405:2537

2024-06-20, 21:27
Svar #3

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you, Sven! Yes, I will try to locate the books you mention. And yes, JOHAN V OLSSON, is the right person.

Both his parents and a younger brother died early from tuberculosis, his father was the last to succumb in 1899 in Sundsvall, Västernorrland, at the age of 40. His father was Olaf Olsson, b. 1858, Brunskog, Värmland, and he was cited as a clockmaker in the 1890 census. It is unclear what sent him away from Värmland, but he married in Sävar, Västerbotten, started a family in Söderhamn, Gävleborg, and then finally settled in Sundsvall. William (JOHAN V) left Sundsvall following his father's death and apprenticed in Stockholm before leaving Sweden entirely for America. He worked in Mt. Jewett, Pennsylvania, at a lumber company to pay off his passage and then headed west to Chicago to work under jewelers there before eventually coming back east to settle in Jamestown, New York, where there was a sizable Swedish immigrant colony.

It is quite a story, and I am not sure exactly how he managed to keep the clock in one piece through all his travels before he finally made (or had made) the case that it currently sits in -- presumably in Jamestown in the 1920s, when he had a jewelry store there. It is my working theory that his father Olaf was the original fabricator of the clock, but it is also possible that it is slightly older and was possibly made by Olaf's father (also named Olaf Olsson) in the Brunskog area.

2024-06-20, 21:44
Svar #4

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5382
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-24, 15:57
    • Visa profil
Sundsvall was in the 1800's expanding rapidly or booming because of the lucrative timber industry. A big part of the labor force came from Värmland. A clockmaker probably didn't move there to saw timber however, but rather to sell clocks to the prosperous elite of the city.

2024-06-21, 09:07
Svar #5

Utloggad Karin Uhrvik

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 980
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-07-17, 07:57
  • Karin Uhrvik
    • Visa profil
In the book Urmakare och klockor i Sverige & Finland, page 411.

Olsson, Olof, 1801-11-18 - 1886-11-24 clockmaker in Sonebytorp, Sunne, Värmland.
Learned by his father Olof Larsson (1768-1838).
Signed "Olof Olsson, Mahle".
Married to Maria Månsdotter b 1803, the sons Olof and Lars also clockmakers.

Another book mentioned is Nath. Hedin: Allmogeurmakeriet i Värmland. Försök till historik. Värmland förr och nu 1927-28.

2024-06-21, 20:07
Svar #6

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you Kalle AND Karin.

Olof Olsson (1801-1886) in Mahle MUST be the right person, so now I must identify how this person is connected to my immigrant ancestor William (a.k.a. Johan Vilhelm) who brought this Olsson clock to the United States.  "My" Olof Olsson (1858-1899) was also a clockmaker and son of yet another Olof Olsson (1830-1905), a farmer in Brunskog (per the 1890 census).

This is clearly too many Olofs. It is also clear that I will need to pay extra to get access to the Swedish records on Ancestry.com!  :)

2024-06-22, 01:25
Svar #7

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Kalle: I think there is a common denominator between the lumber industry that may have attracted Olof the father and the destination of his son William in America (Mount Jewett, Pennsylvania, which was a lumber business [?] where William worked off his passage (presumably in a role that protected his hands as a young jeweler/clockmaker(!) It makes sense.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna