ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Johnson  (läst 1439 gånger)

2006-08-21, 07:51
läst 1439 gånger

Debra Welch

I am from America.  Searching for my Grandfather, Ole Johnson.  He gave his birthplace as Kristianstad.  He was born in 1872.
He had a twin sister.  I believe his Father's name was John Nelson.
Ole came to America, to New York, in 1891 or 1892.
If I can find an Ole, born around 1872, with a twin sister, and their Fathers first name was John, perhaps this might be my Grandfather.
This is a difficult journey for me as I do not understand Swedish.
Thank you.
Debra Welch

2006-08-21, 09:56
Svar #1

Utloggad Leif Hasselgren

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 361
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-03-22, 09:26
    • Visa profil
Hello Debra!

Maybe this is a long shot, but some parts of your information seems to fit.

In the census 1890 I found the following family in Kristianstad county, Norra Åsum parish at No. 27 and a check in the household records 1883-1895 gave this information:

Father Johan Nilsson b.1827 27/5 in Skepparslöv
Mother Bengta Erlandsdotter b.1833 20/12 in Norra Åsum

Children

Nils Johansson b.1857 15/4
Anders Johansson b.1868 3/3
Sissa Johansdotter b.1868 3/3
Ola Johansson b.1872 2/3

What?s interesting is that this Ola Johansson (Ole Johnson) leaves Sweden 1891 9/3 for America.

Is it possible that Ole was the younger brother to a pair of twins instead of having a twinsister?

Is it possible for you to check the exact birthdate of your grandfather?

//Leif

2006-08-23, 06:24
Svar #2

Debra Welch

Leif,

I am having a difficult time navigating this site!  I hope I am answering you in the correct manner!
My Grandfather Ole's birthday was March 2, 1872!
I see that the date is turned around to read 2/3 1872 instead of 3/2 1872!  Do you think this is a minor mistake in record keeping?
AND, better yet: Ole's Social Security file gives his Mothers first name as BENGTA!!
Leif, I think you have found my ancestors!!!
How wonderful!
My Mother remembers that Ole got word his Mother was very sick.  He was going to return to Sweden to see her.  He bought his ticket.  Then he received a telegram saying his Mother had passed away, so he did not go back.  He had a ring in which he carried a lock of his Mothers hair.  We do not know whatever became of that ring.
Would you know how I would begin to find the living relatives, if any, of Ole's brothers and sister?
I thank you so very, very much for your help!
You are a blessing to my family!  My Mother is 88 years old now.  Thank you for finding her Swedish family!
Mother said Ole said his family was somewhat wealthy.  His sister said he stood to inherit some money, but Ole told her to keep it, in return for caring for their parents!
Thank you, Leif, thank you!
Sincerly yours,
Debbie

2006-08-23, 06:39
Svar #3

Utloggad Carin Olofsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5009
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-10, 15:20
    • Visa profil
    • Hembygdshistoria
Debbie, in Sweden the date is written 2/3 1872, i.e. date/month year. The way you write the date (3/2 1872) in the US, would therefore mean February 3, 1872 to a Swede.

2006-08-23, 07:00
Svar #4

Debbie Welch

Thank you Carin!  Grandfather wrote out his birthday in the American manner then!  In Sweden, 2/3 means March 2nd!
I cannot thank you kind people enough!

2006-08-23, 20:15
Svar #5

Utloggad Leif Hasselgren

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hello Debbie!

I?m glad to hear that this was the information you and your mother was looking for!

Sorry for mixing up the dateformat, saw that Carin was kind to explain the Swedish way of writing, I didn?t give it a second thought before posting, sorry .

Since it has been really nasty weather today, it has been raining all day, I?ve had a second look in the old books and found a little bit more information about your ancestors;

First the siblings to Ole,  
his older brother Nils Johansson became a soldier and changed his last name to Forsberg. Born april 15 1857 and disappears from the records in 1891 (!!?), i.e. he hadn?t asked the parson for a certificate to move elsewhere. So another wild guess from me is that he joined Ole when he went to America in 1891.  
I suggest that you, if possible, check to which harbour Ole immigrated to and see if there were any Lars (Lawrence?, Lee?, Louis?) Johnson or Forsberg on the same ship.

I found another sister b.september 7 1860, she died in february 9 1867, no cause of death listed.

One of the twins, Anders Johansson, became a blacksmith and moved to the parish Gustav Adolf in september 30 1893 (also in Kristianstad county) and his twinsister Sissa Johansdotter lived in 1893 with her parents in Norra Åsum No.14 (both parents were alive at that time).
When searching the database Swedish death index 1947-2003 I found that none of the twins were alive in 1947.

Since you are interested in finding living relatives in Sweden there?s a little problem with secrecy. I think that the easiest way is to order the estate inventory for Anders and Sissa. Send an e-mail to Landsarkivet (The regional archives in Lund), link:
 The regional archives in Lund
and ask them to make copies. Remember to give them your full address (the archive staff probably wants to know who?s asking) and as much information you can provide. The cost is about 50 cents per copied side plus, possible but not probable since this is mid 1900, costs for looking up the right documents, ask for approximate totalprice first or set a limit.

Of course, I will be glad to help you with any translation problems.

So, the old ones, Oles grandfather and grandmother, his fathers parents;

Johan Nilssons father:
Nils Olsson b.april 20 1793 in Vä parish, Kristianstad county
Johan Nilssons mother:
Sissa Johansdotter b.december 12 1789 in Djurröd, Kristianstad county.

Oles grandfather and grandmother, his mothers parents;
Bengta Erlandsdotters father:
Trooper Erland Krantz b.october 18 1800 i Norra Åsum, No 2 Hoby, Kristianstad county
Bengta Erlandsdotters mother:
Karna Olsdotter b.august 12 1794 in Norra Åsum, Kristianstad county.

Have a nice day!!

//Leif

2006-08-23, 20:43
Svar #6

Utloggad Leif Hasselgren

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Corection!!
......I suggest that you, if possible, check to which harbour Ole immigrated to and see if there were any Nils (Nels?) Johnson or Forsberg on the same ship...............  

Sorry
//Leif

2006-08-23, 21:05
Svar #7

Kristel Viberg

Hello!

I found this in Emibas:
Nils Forsberg born 15/4-1857 in Norra Åsum
13/12-1897 has he emigrated to Denmark from Norra Åsum page 799.
He had been a soldier and he wasn?t married.

Sincerly
Kristel

2006-08-24, 21:40
Svar #8

debbie

Kristel,
Thank you so much for taking the time to look for my Great Uncle!  I appreciate it more than you know!
Sincerly
Debbie

2006-08-24, 22:07
Svar #9

debbie

Leif,

I thank you so much again, for your kindness!
If you could know even a little, how happy you have made my family and me..........!
I have searched the website, Castlegarden.org
many times.  I have searched Ellis Island, also out of New York, many times.  I have not found my Grandfather.  
There is only one Olaf Johnson at Castle Garden, but he is 40 yrs old, much older than the 19 yr old who became my Grandfather!
My Mother is somewhat curious and confused about this information you have found. She says her Father told her Mother that HE was a twin.  I told my Mother that perhaps some of his stories were misunderstood.  
He has said his Father owned a vineyard and was wealthy.  I do not see how the climate of Sweden could sustain a vineyard.  
My Mother says Olaf would not tell his children anything about his life or culture in Sweden.
He felt that since he came to America, became a naturalized citizen, that he was an American now.
There were times when my Mother, as a child, would enter a room and hear her Father speaking Swedish.  Upon seeing her, he would immediately stop.  He never spoke his native tongue in the company of his children.
I personally think it is sad to lose the culture from which one came from.  It is a part of who we are.
My Grandmother was Johanna Hansen.  She came from Germany with her parents, as a child of three years.  There was also an older brother Max.
Grandmother left the port of Bremen, Germany, in 1889.
As you can tell, Olaf was somewhat older than his wife, which was quite normal in those times.

Once again, Leif, I am so thankful for you to have answered my query.  I hope we can become penpals, long distance friends, if you care to.
Yours truly,  
Debbie

2006-08-24, 22:12
Svar #10

debbie

Leif..........I almost forgot.......
I DID email the regional archives in Lund!

I gave as much information as I had, and explained exactly who I was.

I asked for an estimate, in American dollars, for a search and copies of Anders and Sissa's estate.  I made it clear I would like to find any living relatives of Olaf Johnson.
And I closed with another request for an estimate. Just to make it clear, I needed to know the amount first!

Deb

2006-08-30, 08:13
Svar #11

Deb

Thank you all, once again, for your kindness.
I'm waiting to hear from the regional archives in Lund.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna