ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Bankruptcy letter translation  (läst 184 gånger)

2023-05-28, 00:19
läst 184 gånger

Utloggad Lynette Case

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 85
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-14, 03:37
    • Visa profil
I am having trouble translating this but am wondering if what I have figured out so far is somewhat correct. Any help in the translation would be most appreciated.
My great-great-great-great grandfather Per Ersson is begging the court not to declare him bankrupt.
I am also wondering if he was in prison because of his bankruptcy proceedings as it appears he wrote the letter while in the prison in Härnösand.
Sadly, five years later he froze to death after a mishap on a lake in November. I cried when I read that.

I can only translate bits and pieces as it is difficult to read but this is what I have so far - In the letter, Per Ersson asked for forgiveness for the lack of financial reliability in his home which was temporary. He admitted his situation was not good, but given more time, it would improve. He was very distressed and was working as hard as he could. He pleaded with the court to think about his wife and six small children who would be homeless and hungry if he was declared bankrupt.

Thanks for any help.
Lynette

2023-05-28, 08:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Per Sundin

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6954
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 15:28
    • Visa profil
    • Släkter och gårdar
Förlåt mig, att jag i saknad af någon pålitlig kommissionär, som jag är i tillfälle att kunna på platsen direkte vända mig till Herr Domhafvanden dristar översända mina närslutna cassiens(?) ansökningshandlingar; Och hoppas jag att, uti min inträngda belägenhet finna en ursäkt för detta mitt tilltag; Warandes behovet af min snara frigivning så mycket nödigare, som jag desto häldre trängtar efter min arbetskrafts anwändande i frihetstillstånd, emedan det icke är någon roskillssak att tänka därpå att hustru och 6 små barn kanske måste svälta ihjäl eller åtminstone lida betydlig nöd innan frihetstillståndet bliver mig återgifvet.
Med största högaktning
Hernösands läns Cellfängelse
Den 24:de Aug. 1866
Ödmjuke
Pehr Ersson

I let a tool available on internet translate this application of speedy liberation.

Forgive me, that in the absence of any reliable commissioner, whom I am in a position to be able to directly address on the spot to Herr Domaren, I dare to send my attached Cassien's(?) application documents; And I hope to find, in my straitened situation, an excuse for this measure of mine; The need for my speedy release being all the more urgent, as I all the more press for the use of my labor in a state of freedom, because it is no reason for peace to think of it that wife and 6 small children may have to starve to death or at least suffer considerable hardship before the state of freedom becomes me reproduced.
With the greatest respect
Hernösand County Cell Prison
On the 24th of Aug. 1866
Humble
Pehr Ersson

2023-05-28, 14:48
Svar #2

Utloggad Lynette Case

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
That was a lot to translate. Thank you!
And I can see that I was not even close. I had such a difficult time with his handwriting.
Thank you,
Lynette

2023-05-28, 15:28
Svar #3

Utloggad Lynette Case

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
I guess I have a few more questions. Were people put in prison if they could not pay their debts? Would they be let out of prison after the bankruptcy was declared? What would happen if all the assets were sold but that was still not enough money?
The deeper I dig, i find my family’s situation getting even worse…. Parish poor farm for some, bankruptcy, horrible deaths…. It is not what I expected. It is really sad.

2023-05-28, 18:19
Svar #4

Utloggad Per Sundin

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6954
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 15:28
    • Visa profil
    • Släkter och gårdar
I am not certain, but when my great-grandfather (morfarsfar) sold some cows in the end of World War I the price was high. After some year the prices went down so when the buyer was unable to draw the bill my ancestor saved him by forging his signature himself. This forgery was the reason why he was sent to jail. But after appealing for his release on behalf of his good-hearted behaviour he was released after three months. I believe that if you were unable to pay your debts you were sent to jail. And to save the buyer of his cattle my greatgrandfather saved him from this but was instead put into jail himself to his kinsfolk's embarrassment. And if you were bankrupt you were naturally unable to pay your debts.

2023-05-28, 18:26
Svar #5

Utloggad Lynette Case

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Times have sure changed.
I found a record for Per Ersson in the Härnösand prison records. It seems he was arrested on July 21, 1866 but it does not say what he was charged with.
Thank you,
Lynette

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna