ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Anders Hellgren with East India Company in Göteborg  (läst 388 gånger)

2022-11-29, 22:31
läst 388 gånger

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
This post is inspired by the hope of discovering the fate of Anders Hellgren, born 16 Nov 1757 in Arvika (S). Anders was the youngest son of army Sergeant Robert Niklas Hellgren (circa 1705 - 1763).

The last known residence of Anders was at Björkås, Kila (S) about 1770, along with two brothers (Klas Fredrik and Lennart Magnus) and also with uncle Captain Lennart Johan Ramzell and his family. See: Kila (S) AI:3 (1769-1776) p. 170, AID v11832.b175.s170.

The Hellgren and Ramzell family members are well documented after this entry but Anders seems to disappear.

Some years ago I ran across an intriguing explanation for what became of Anders Hellgren. In Göteborg Kristine moving-in records for February 1776 was Betjänten Anders Hellgren, born 16 Oct. 1756 (!). Very close to an exact match for "my" Anders. However, more evidence was needed to prove a connection.

The apparent Göteborg Anders Hellgren, hovmästaren with East India Company, married Christina Maria Nyman at Kristine (O) on 30 Nov 1785. Bride and groom were both 29 years old (that is, born ~1756).

Anders Hellgren and C. M. Nyman are recorded in Kristine church records as having several children between 1788 and 1796:

1) Andreas Gustaf, b. 1 Apr 1788 (apparently died 14 Jan 1795)
2) Carl Petter, b.15 Jan 1791
3) Anna Maria, b. 14 Jun 1792
4) Charlotta Sophia, b. 29 Apr 1794
5) Catharina Cecilia, b. 5 Jun 1796

Anders Hellgren was consistently described as "hovmästare" or "betjänt" or "bouteilleur": a ship's steward, in English.

What is mystifying to me is that after the 1796 birth of the daughter, Catharina Cecilia, the entire family seemingly disappears from all records. Göteborg Kristine indexes do not show any of them leaving the parish. Likewise, Kristine death indexes only show the death of son, Andreas Gustaf.

I have searched the death index and Population of Sweden (1800-1947) indices on Arkiv Digital. None of the above individuals are conclusively found. It is as if the family emigrated somewhere and never returned to Sweden.  Seeing as Anders was an employee of the East India Company, I suppose he might have been transferred to another place where the EIC maintained a presence. Or, he might have had the connections necessary to move his family by ship to another country.

Arkiv Digital deaths index had one Anders Hellgren who died in the early 1800s at an island parish near Göteborg. No sign of any of other individuals above were found in the parish so I have strong doubts it is the same person.

I looked for records of the East India Company but it seems few of them have survived. None of the ones I found (ship manifests) made any mention of Anders Hellgren.

I am looking for ideas for other avenues of research. My ultimate goal is to find later records of Anders Hellgren from Värmland. At the least, I would like to confirm or disprove that the Göteborg Anders Hellgren is the same person.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Jeff

2022-11-29, 22:35
Svar #1

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I realize now that I should have posted this in another part of Anbytarforum. Not sure what area would be appropriate. Apologies for the mistake.

2022-11-30, 16:23
Svar #2

Inloggad KG Hammarlund

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2441
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 11:54
    • Visa profil
The Anders Hellgren you found in the death index is definitely the right person. He is listed with his wife Christina Maria and their four surviving children in Öckerö AI:2 p. 209.

But unfortunately there's no indication as to where he lived before that. Apparently he held a position as book keeper at a salter company, but I cannot find him there in Öckerö AI:1.

2022-12-01, 04:38
Svar #3

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks KG!  I somehow missed the Öckerö parish HFL entry you found.

This at least shows the Göteborg family went to Öckerö where father Anders died.

Any thoughts on how likely it is the Anders Hellgren from Göteborg Kristine is the same person as the Anders from Kila parish, Värmland?

2022-12-01, 09:09
Svar #4

Inloggad KG Hammarlund

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2441
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 11:54
    • Visa profil
No, Anders Hellgren in Kristine and Öckerö parishes is not the Anders Hellgren from Kila. I found the former Anders' certificate of leave in Kristine HIIa:3 img.4850 (ArkivDigital). It says that this Anders was born in Tådene parish on the 26th of October 1756 and that he moved to Gothenburg from Järpås parish.

So what happened to Anders from Kila is still an unsolved question. The rest of the household in Kila AI:3 moves to Uddevalla - maybe he joined them there. Unfortunately there are no early moving-in records in Uddevalla.

2022-12-01, 15:41
Svar #5

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks again. You have solved at least one question. I'm glad I was cautious about assuming the two Anders Hellgrens were the same person.

Regarding the Kila HFL record, yes it appears to suggest they moved to Uddevalla. I checked Uddevalla parish records and found no sign of the family members.

Captain Ramzell was uncle (mother's brother) of the three Hellgren boys. He apparently acted briefly as head of household after the mother died in 1769. I have already found evidence that Captain Ramzell and his children were in Glava (S) parish by 1770. By 1772 or so, Klas Fredrik Hellgren (my ancestor) was at Mörkerud in Sunne parish (army sergeant). Lennart Magnus Hellgren also appears in Glava (S) in later years, after he had become a commissioned surveyor (lantmätare). Anders Hellgren is the only one who is missing in later years.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna