ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Correct Spelling of Last Name  (läst 586 gånger)

2022-02-11, 03:50
läst 586 gånger

Utloggad Greg Rosenvall

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 298
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-02, 18:01
    • Visa profil
I am trying to determine the correct spelling of the last name of Anny Margareta, shown on the congregational and marriage records below.  Would the correct spelling be Värnell?

Thank you,
Greg

https://app.arkivdigital.se/volume/v261784?image=2370&page=523
https://app.arkivdigital.se/volume/v183596?image=870

2022-02-11, 08:09
Svar #1

Utloggad Staffan Bergh

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2956
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 21:18
  • aka festerman
    • Visa profil
    • BFiles
The name is indeed written "Vernäll" in the records you linked to -- and in the others I looked up ... If that is the "correct" spelling is another question ;) ...

Variant spellings that you might see:

* Wernäll, Wernell, Vernell would all sound the same and could reasonably be adopted by the bearers themselves
* Värnell or Wärnell is an easy misspelling and a reasonable and almost identical sounding name in it's own right
* "Vemäll", as some indexers have read it (conflating the two letters "rn" into one "m") is, on the other hand, quite foreign-sounding to Swedish ears ...
mvh /staffan -- BFiles

2022-02-11, 16:43
Svar #2

Utloggad Greg Rosenvall

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 298
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-02, 18:01
    • Visa profil
Noted and thank you, Staffan.  Very much appreciated.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna