ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help with translation from map of Brandstad 1798  (läst 827 gånger)

2022-01-19, 20:31
läst 827 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-25, 15:36
    • Visa profil
Can anyone translate the highlighted text from the attached image.  This is a from a 1798 Brandstad map.

I think it says tax paying horse farm or half tax paying farm.  Which is correct?

https://historiskakartor.lantmateriet.se/arken/s/show.html?showmap=true&mapTypeSelected=false&mapType=&archive=LMS&nbOfImages=1&sd_base=lms2&sd_ktun=4c4d535f4c33302d343a31&aktid=L30-4%3A1

Thanks
George

2022-01-19, 23:51
Svar #1

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-16, 13:05
    • Visa profil
Hi George!

It is most certain a farm with a farmer who's interest (or perhaps in this case tax or profit) will pay for an officer's horse and equipment so it is hästhemman. What is strange is that of what I have seen such farms called hästhemman were not skattehemman but kronohemman, that is not self owned (skatte) but rented by the crown. The similar rusthåll could be skattehemman though so perhaps that is not strange anyway?

Regards

Klas

2022-01-20, 00:09
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

2022-01-20, 00:27
Svar #3

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas,
I am just wondering why would a farmer give his profits to support an officer's horse and equipment?
Does that mean that they toke care of the horse?
There are 3 names listed on this property.  Does that mean they all provided support?
I just want to understand this a bit better.
Thanks,
George

2022-01-20, 00:57
Svar #4

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-16, 13:05
    • Visa profil
Hi again!

A rusthåll was a farm that was a part of the allotment system. The farmer's (called rusthållare), duty to pay tax was transformed into paying for a horse and some other equipment for a cavalryman. Because of this the farmer did not risk to be ordered to war himself or even some of his children. The army payed for the weapon though. A hästhemman was normally a farm that the crown owned and rented it out to farmers who payed an interest. That interest was then used to pay for an officer's horse and some equipment. But because your text said Skatte hästhemman and not krono (crown) hästhemman I thought that it was then his normal tax to the King (for letting him own the farm and do whatever he wanted to do with it) that was transformed to pay for a horse. I am not sure though.

It is late now but tomorrow I might be able to take a look at the farm you mention and see. I think it was just one farmer that was responsible for the hästhemmanet but I am not sure.

Klas

2022-01-20, 02:19
Svar #5

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas,
That does make more sense.   Thanks for generosity and taking the time to explain this.
George

2022-01-20, 10:07
Svar #6

Utloggad Jörgen Tollesson

• Arkivguiden (www.arkivguiden.net)
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6870
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 22:22
  • Bild: Båhusläns flagga
    • Visa profil
    • Arkivguiden med Arkivguidens Forum, Båhus Arkivguide och Göteborgs Arkivguide
Every farm's land-tax (räntan or jordeboksskatten in Swedish) was reserved (indelt) for a specific purpose. Some farms were so called rusthåll, that payed for a commom cavalryman (and in some cases in south-eastern Sweden a boatsman in the navy). Others were hästehemman, that payed for a cavalry officers horse. And the land-tax from other farms was used for other purposes in the military and the Civil Service. This goes for both privately owned farms (skatte) and farms owned by the Crown (krono). And then some krono farms were used as residence (boställe) for military officers and civil servants.

The rent that a farmer payed for renting a farm owned by the Crown is not a tax. However it is recorded in the same tax record (jordebok) as the land-tax, and therefore included in the total sum that was paid for that farm.
Kontakt: http://www.arkivguiden.net/jts.shtml. | Ser gamla inlägg (före april 2016) underliga ut? Argumenterar jag mot mig själv? Saknas något i inläggen? Finns där något som inte borde vara där? Läs då om orsaken här: http://forum.arkivguiden.net/agf/disk/42626/62869.shtml#post16472.

2022-01-20, 13:13
Svar #7

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Jörgen,
Thank you for your help in explaining things more clearly.
George

2022-01-20, 13:58
Svar #8

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Jörgen,

On the same map I see the following terms.  I am not sure what they mean?  I think they have to do with a hospital farm and clock residence.

hospitals hemman
klockareboställe

Thanks,
George

2022-01-20, 16:07
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hospitalshemman = A farm owned by a hospital.

Klockareboställe = A farm used as a residence for a klockare (bell-ringer/verger).
Kontakt: http://www.arkivguiden.net/jts.shtml. | Ser gamla inlägg (före april 2016) underliga ut? Argumenterar jag mot mig själv? Saknas något i inläggen? Finns där något som inte borde vara där? Läs då om orsaken här: http://forum.arkivguiden.net/agf/disk/42626/62869.shtml#post16472.

2022-01-20, 16:16
Svar #10

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Jörgen
Thanks again for your help.
What exactly does "a farm owned by a hospital mean"?  Does that mean there is hospital on the farm or they produce food for the hospital?
Sorry for all the questions.
George

2022-01-20, 17:09
Svar #11

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hospitalshemman are ordinary farms, owned by a hospital and rented by farmers.

There was a hospital in the city of Lund already since the Middle Ages. It owned a lot of farms in Skåne and the income from the farms was used to run the hospital.

2022-01-20, 17:32
Svar #12

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Jörgen,
Thank you for all your help.
George

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna