ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help with translation from map of Bräcke, Tjörn  (läst 759 gånger)

2022-01-13, 16:50
läst 759 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-25, 15:36
    • Visa profil

2022-01-13, 20:32
Svar #1

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5026
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 15:08
    • Visa profil
It's hard to translate word for word because of all the tecnical terms. But what happend was that this big farm or village, shared by several farmers, was split in fewer large parts instead of many small parts spread out all over. A way to give every farmer one big field instead of several smaller. The owners of this big farm is Petter Olsson, Jonas Olsson, Hans Olsson, Bernt Persson, the girl Elsa Olsdotter represented by her brother Jonas Olsson, the same one that was mentioned before, and Ruttiger Ruttigersson and Lars Olsson. The farm is situated in Göteborgs and Bohus county, Tjörn, and Stenkyrka parish. To do this land distribution was a judge, Olof Jonasson in Gåle and Christoffer Hansson from Hoflanda present.

2022-01-13, 20:55
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thank you so much for helping me with this translation.
George

2022-01-14, 08:24
Svar #3

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 519
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-27, 09:40
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
George, If you are interested I have a page about the three Swedish agricultural land reforms carried out in the second half of the 1700s and the first half of the 1800s. In Swedish they are called Storskifte, Enskifte and Laga Skifte.
 It is at http://www.hhogman.se/land-reforms-swe.htm
/Hans

2022-01-14, 13:33
Svar #4

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hans,
Thank you very much.  I am very interested in learning about the history that goes along with area my ancestors were from.
George

2022-01-15, 13:47
Svar #5

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hans,
I read your article on land reforms in Sweden and I also read your article on poor relief.  These are both related to my 3rd great grandfather and his mother in Brandstad in Southern Sweden.  My third great grandfather, Pehr Rasmusson, was born illegitimate in Brandstad 1797.  His mother Gertrud Torkelsdotter had been poor for most of her life.  In 1803 the land reform occurred in Brandstad.  In  1802 Gertrud is listed with her 5 year old son.  She is listed as inhyseshjon and living in "skoghuset" which I believe means forest house.  After the land reform she disappears from the records for one year and then reappears in Brandstad without her son.  Her son does not reappear until he is 14 and living in Brandstad at a separate farm from his mother.  I have been unable to find where my 3rd great grandfather was during this time.  In your article you mention the word "rotegång".  Is it possible that he was passed around from house to house in Brandstad during this time?  Why wouldn't he be with his mother?  Why wouldn't he be recorded in the housing or tax records?  There seem to be a lot of people in Brandstad who are listed as "inhyseshjon", am I misinterpreting this? 
Thanks,
George

2022-01-16, 09:25
Svar #6

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 519
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-27, 09:40
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
George, without any records stating what exactly happened to them it is difficult to draw any conclusions.
"Rotegång" was a system of providing for the very poorest in peasant society. The paupers who could not be placed in poorhouses received care in the form of “rotegång”. The pauper (called rotehjon) was then allowed to move between the farms according to a set order. Several farms - usually six - attached to a so-called “rote” (district) had a joint obligation to provide food and lodging, and to some extent care for the pauper. The pauper was expected to help out and do right.
 "Rotegång” for children was banned in 1847. Poor auctions became more common for children.
Poor care auction, poor auction, sale by auction, etc., was an old form of poor care in Sweden that involved auctioning off paupers to the lowest bidder, i.e. to the person who demanded the least compensation from the parish or municipal poor relief board for taking care of a pauper. Poor auctions are best known for the auctioning off of children, i.e. children's auctions, but the method was actually used for paupers of all ages, except for particularly old children.
“Inhyseshjon” and all others who lived or were housed in someone else's home or on someone else's land without being in his service were categorized as dependent tenants or dependent lodgers. They were usually poor people, paupers, placed by the parish council with a family for a fee because they were unable to work. There were elderly people, orphans, and disabled people who were housed at the parish's expense, thus escaping the rotehjon's rote migration (rotegång). They contributed as much labor as they were able and were placed in the family that demanded the lowest remuneration in a poor auction.
In your case, if the son wasn’t with his mother was probably because she wasn’t able to take care of him due to poverty. Maybe the son was auctioned off to a family? However, the son ought to be found in the household examination rolls even if he was auctioned off or submitted to rotegång.
In general, rotegång and poor auctions were preferred by the parishes as a cheaper alternative to building a poorhouse. The parishes (socken) were slow to establish poorhouses, as the peasants preferred a combination of a system of boarding and boarding-out (often in the form of poor relief auctions) of the paupers and “rotegång” compared to poorhouses.
/Hans

2022-01-16, 14:01
Svar #7

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hans,
Thank you for help and providing all of this information.
George

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna