ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation help --> colonels Thomas and John Kinnemond, 1645  (läst 1055 gånger)

2021-11-05, 10:35
läst 1055 gånger

Utloggad Robert Reisman

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 5
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-09-25, 20:05
    • Visa profil
Hello,

I would like to ask for your help in understanding a document from 1645, issued by Queen Christina. Context of the letter is following:
John Kinnemond received an estate of Enneberg in Livland from Gustav II Adolf in 1621. He married Christina Ivarsdotter Ulfsparre, became a colonel and died in 1638. As they did not have any children, the estate of Enneberg was inherited by his younger brothers (or nephews) Patrick and Thomas. As Patrick died also in 1639, Thomas became the only heir.

I don't understand the document too well but I believe it somehow stipulates a deal between Thomas Kinnemond and Christina Ulfsparre. I believe Kinnemond was supposed to pay the living costs of Ulfsparre for some years in exchange for the estate of Enneberg.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out with the following:
*Short summary of the document
*Does the document mention the relationship between Johan and Thomas Kinnemond? Were they brothers or uncle and nephew?
*Does it mention any other relations? Some sources say that in 1639 Christina Ulfsparre wished to make a sister's son of Johan Kinnemond his heir, but this plan did not work out.

June 30 1645 letter is available here (starting from the bottom of the second page):
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0038722_00505#?c=&m=&s=&cv=504&xywh=1291%2C1716%2C4541%2C2489

There are two more documents which are referencing the first one. Perhaps there is mentioned the exact relation between two Kinnemond colonels:
August 8 1651: https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0038768_00262#?c=&m=&s=&cv=261&xywh=729%2C888%2C4437%2C2480
November 27 1651: https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0039269_00245#?c=&m=&s=&cv=244&xywh=350%2C-516%2C3218%2C2345

Many thanks in advance,
Robert

2021-11-18, 21:03
Svar #1

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5026
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 11:36
    • Visa profil
The document is granting Thomas Kinnemond, his wife and children the estate Innenbergh for his service to the crown, but only after Johan Kinnemonds widow is also dead. Well, if they can't come to an agreement with her. I can't see anything about the relationship between the two Kinnemonds. The second document seems to just repeat the first one, and also no relations mentioned. The third link seems to be faulty, it goes to a list of letters sent to people with first names starting with W.

2021-11-18, 21:31
Svar #2

Utloggad Robert Reisman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you very much for the summary.

I have now found few more documents in regard of John Kinnemond's inheritance which are perhaps even more interesting. Once again I ask for help in summarizing and understanding them:
Christina Ulfsparre's letter from 1639:https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0069774_00166#?c=&m=&s=&cv=165&xywh=3129%2C789%2C3711%2C2034

Copy of the same letter (perhaps in better handwriting):
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0069774_00167#?c=&m=&s=&cv=166&xywh=3544%2C2419%2C3027%2C1692

I understand that she mentions the estate of Enneberg in Livland and the question of its inheritance. Most interesting part for me is when she mentions John Kinnemond's nephew (sister's son) from Scotland as a possible heir. Does she mention the name of the nephew? I understand that he was a fänrik also in Swedish service?

Thanks in advance
Robert

2021-11-18, 22:02
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Well, as I understand it, Johan Kinnemond got that estate for himself, his wife and his children, but now he is dead without any heirs. So his widow Kristina Ifuersdotter Ulfsparre ask queen Kristina if Kinnemunds nephew from Scotland can have the estate instead. He has been serving at the same fort as his uncle now for three years, as a fänrik. The name is not mentioned, but Thomas Kinnemund was, in the other document, described as serving at that fort so it should be the same person. So, Kristina sent this letter to the queen, and she sent the first letter back as an answear and she granted Kristinas wishes. And the relationship is uncle and nephew.

2021-11-18, 22:13
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
It is a little confusing though. Kristina Ulfsparre clearly describes him as her husbands sister-son, and I guess she should know. But when I google his name all sources say he is the son of William Kinnemond and Margaret Whitekirk. Is he sister-son or brother-son? Well, maybe there are additional sources in Scotland that could shed some light on that.

2021-11-18, 22:45
Svar #5

Utloggad Robert Reisman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you, Kalle! I am very grateful for your help.

Yeah, that is the main problem - I cannot really connect Swedish Kinnemonds (adliga ätten nr. 505) to their Scottish ancestors. I know that there is a document from 1636 (mentioned in Scottish sources) that Johan (John) Kinnemond aquired from Scotland, proving his ancestry. He needed it to become ennobled in Sweden, but as he died in 1638, he never achieved that. I believe this document is somewhere in Swedish archives, but have not yet found it. Patrick and Thomas (both colonels) were born in Callange, Fife (in Swedish sources it has been written as Calensk, Calensch etc.) and I am 99% sure they belonged to Kinninmonth of Craighall family. Craighall was about 1-2 km from Callange and it was usually the home of the oldest son of the laird of Craighall. But the exact relation is still very open.

With Johan it is even more mysterious. I know nothing about his birthplace or when he came to Swedish service. He is clearly older than Patrick and Thomas as he started his military career earlier, yet he was probably their close relative, because Thomas inherited his Enneberg estate. Actually Patrick should have been his heir, but he died in the summer of 1639, so Thomas became his heir. Quite sure that Patrick and Thomas were his nephews (brothersons), but there is a chance that they were his younger brothers.

Thomas could have not been the nephew mentioned in the document, as he was already commandant of Coporie castle and lieutenant colonel by 1639. I guess this sister's son from Scottland was illegible for inheritance because of the 1604 Norrköping-rule which stipulated that estates cannot be inherited through female line.

When it comes to Patrick and Thomas Kinnemond's parents, it really is even more confusing. There is absolutely no additional info about William Kinnemond or Margaret Whitekirk. Whitekirk is not a Scottish family name - searches give literally zero results for that. Whitekirk has been a feudal estate of Learmonth family who were very close neighbours of Kinninmonths of Craighall, but by the 16th century, they did not own it any more.

Thank you again and I hope that one day I am able to solve this mystery.

Robert

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna