ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Immigration of Smith Family to Sweden  (läst 1447 gånger)

2021-10-09, 01:37
läst 1447 gånger

Utloggad Diether Caspritz

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 4
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-03-04, 23:39
    • Visa profil
I am looking for the immigration record of Margaret Smith (also Smitt) from England to Sweden. She must have immigrated between 1871 and 1887, probably together with her parents and siblings. 

Margaret Smith was born 05 May 1864 in Morpeth, Northumberland, England
She had children born before and in 1886 in Göteborg and in 1888, 1889, 1893 1897 in Stockholm. 
She married Hermann Otto Joseph Lohse 1916 in Stockholm.
From an 1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census I know her parents:
Thomas Smith born 1831 in Ireland
Elizabeth Smith born 1835 in Ireland
They had 7 Children born in Northumberland, England between 1858 and 1870.
I suspect, that the whole family immigrated to Sweden, because after 1871 no traces of the family were found in England, and at the baptism of Margaret's child Margareta Hermina on 02 Aug 1886 in Göteborg, two of Margaret's sisters were godparents.

Already in 2010 I got marvellous help for the Lohse-Smith family from members of this forum, see https://forum.rotter.se/index.php?topic=87401.0

Thank you for your kind assistance.
Diether from Germany.
mailto:caspritz@gmx.de

2021-10-09, 19:22
Svar #1

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Today I got an Email in Swedish.
According to Deepl translator, it says that Kalle Birgersson has answered my request and that I can see his answer at
https://forum.rotter.se/index.php?topic=181395.new;topicseen#new
But when I open this link, I see only my request. 
Please help me
Diether from Germany.
mailto:caspritz@gmx.de

2021-12-09, 00:20
Svar #2

Utloggad Erik Mouwitz

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 126
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-05, 15:23
    • Visa profil
Hello!

Did you establish contact with the person who sent you the e-mail, or do you still require help with finding out more about your ancestors?

Apart from immigration records, I can point out that Margaret and Hermann did not marry in 1916. That is in fact the year of Hermanns death. He died on the 2nd of March 1916 from tabes dorsalis (!)
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00067707_00192#?c=&m=&s=&cv=191&xywh=218%2C-13%2C4552%2C3526

They married in 1890 in Stockholms catholic parish:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00067706_00076#?c=&m=&s=&cv=75&xywh=-292%2C385%2C3811%2C2952

There's a lot more interesting info about the Lohse family here. From this source, we learn among other things that Margarets mother was still alive and living in England in 1890:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00068079_01555#?c=&m=&s=&cv=1554&xywh=-223%2C-126%2C3385%2C2147

Please bear with me if you've already received all this info from someone else :)
Erik

2021-12-10, 21:25
Svar #3

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hej Erik,
Tack så mycket för all ny information. Det har hjälpt mig mycket. Nu är jag säker på att jag kommer att vara upptagen ett tag med att dechiffrera, översätta till tyska och utvärdera. Jag registrerade mig på Riksarkivet för första gången och kunde ladda ner dokumenten.
Jag tror också att dopvittnena i Margareta Hermina Smiths födelseattest var systrar till hennes mor Margareta Smith. Detta är en av anledningarna till att jag antog att hela familjen Smith invandrade till Sverige. Men du skriver att Margaretas mor fortfarande bodde i England 1890. Jag har inte hittat det ännu.
En spännande historia!
Förhoppningsvis är denna översättning från tyska med översättningsprogrammet deepl begriplig för henne.
Tack igen,
Diether Caspritz

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)  :)

2021-12-11, 13:18
Svar #4

Utloggad Erik Mouwitz

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hello Diether!

I am happy that you found it helpful! Finding catholic people in the records can be a bit hard in extremely protestant Sweden; their records are often split between the protestant and catholic parishes, and many of the latter are not strictly territorial. These people often "fall between the cracks".

My assumption that Margaret Smiths mother was still alive and residing in England in 1890 is based on this certificate from a catholic priest in Morpeth:

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00068079_01569

"I hereby certify that Margaret Smith
born and baptized in my parish has
never been married, as far as I know
or can ascertain from her mother and
other parties

W. Davey
Incumbent of the Catholic Church
Morpeth

Sept. 24th 1890"

It seems from the above as if the priest talked to Margarets mother, and he is using present tense, indicating that he talked to her when preparing this certificate. If Margarets father had still been alive, I assume the priest would have written "... can ascertain from her parents...", so I think he was probably dead by then.

I studied German in school, and even though I find it difficult to write and speak in German, reading it is no problem at all, so you can write in German if you want to! :)

Best regards!
Erik

2021-12-11, 19:25
Svar #5

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hallo Erik,

deine Einschätzung zu Margarets Eltern finde ich folgerichtig, danke.

Du hattest auch gefragt, ob ich E-mail Kontakt hatte: Ja, er schrieb mir, dass er in Schweden keine Spuren von Margarets Eltern finden konnte, auch nicht im Arkiv Digital.

Ich habe noch Fragen zu https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/00068079_01571
Mein Versuch einer Abschrift ist noch fehlerhaft:
Att i Hedvig Eleonora församlings kyrka blifvit
trenne gånger lagligen och oklandradt lyst till äktenskap emellan
Bokhållaren Herman Otto Josef Lohse
och Margaret Smith
bida tile hasamle ... katolske församlinge
och att intet hinder möter för vigsels förrättande varder härmed
attesteradt.
   Stockholm, Hedvig Eleonora, d. 11 April 1890
      ?
      Pastor ... ...
Kannst du das berichtigen?
Bedeutet der 1. Teil, dass die beiden in der Kirche 3mal aufgeboten wurden? (3 times marriage ban?) Deepl oder Google gibt mir hier keine sinnvolle Übersetzung.

Vielen Dank,
Diether

2021-12-11, 20:26
Svar #6

Utloggad Erik Mouwitz

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
The correct transcription is:

"Att i Hedvig Eleonora församlings kyrka blifvit
 trenne gånger lagligen och oklandradt lyst till äktenskap emellan
 Bokhållaren Herman Otto Josef Lohse
 och Margaret Smith
 båda tillhörande romerskt katolska församlingen
 och att intet laga hinder möter för vigsels förrättande; varder härmed
 attesteradt.
Stockholm, Hedvig Eleonora, d. 11 April 1890
E. Westman
Past[orats] adj[unkt]"

Which means:

"It is hereby certified that banns for the bookkeeper Herman Otto Josef Lohse and Margaret Smith, both of the roman catholic parish, have been read thrice lawfully and without contestation at Hedvig Elenora church, and that nothing hinders their marriage.
Stockholm, Hedvid Eleonora, the 11th of April 1890
E. Westman
Pastoratsadjunkt"

The banns were read out in the Hedvig Eleonora church, despite being protestant, since this is where they lived (the catholic parish was non-territorial), and this is just a message from Hedvig Eleonora to the catholic priest, telling him that he can marry the two since banns have been properly read.
I think automatic translators would struggle, even with an entirely correct transcription; there are old and unusual words, and the spelling is the old style used before the spelling reform of 1906 ("blifvit" is now spelled "blivit", "oklandradt" has become "oklandrat" etc.)

Best regards
Erik

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna