ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Seeking information on Uppåkra in Southern Sweden  (läst 790 gånger)

2021-09-24, 16:26
läst 790 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-25, 15:36
    • Visa profil
I having been trying to find out what Uppåkra is like.  It is located 6 kilometers from Lund in Southern Sweden.  The only information I have found is regarding bronze age settlements in that area.  I am interested in Uppåkra because my grandfather lived there for 15 years when he was a boy. My great grandfather was a tailor who left Hammarlunda for Copenhagen.  He married a Swedish woman had two kids and moved to Uppåkra in 1891.  Is Uppåkra a farming village or is it more urban since it is near Lund?  It seems like a tailor would need to live in an urban area to make a living and support his family.  They did eventually move to Lund in 1906.  My great grandfather abandoned the family in 1907 and took off for Southern California.   Just wondering if these locations and occupation factored into his decisions to move around.
Thanks,
George

2021-09-25, 17:08
Svar #1

Utloggad Marianne Karlsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 469
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 10:25
    • Visa profil
I hope you will have a better answer from someone living in that area - but meanwhile I try to give my opinion:
Uppåkra seems to be a rural area.
I guess that most parishes at that time had their own tailor just as shoemaker and perhaps a blacksmith.

If you don't mind to give us your great grandfather' s name and date of birth (in Hammarlunda?) it would perhaps be easier to see what kind of "status in the society" he had in Sweden before he left for US.
You wrote "he abandoned the family and took off for California" - did rest of the family stay in Sweden? Don't you, too, live in US?
/Marianne

2021-09-25, 19:42
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thank you for your reply.  My great grandfather was born Olof Jonsson in Hurfva 27 March 1862.  His family moved to Hammarlunda 13 November 1865.   He changed his last name to Lindquist around 1884.  He was always listed as Olof Jonsson Lindquist.  He left for Copenhagen 
23 October 1884.  He is listed as a tailor at that point.   He married  as Swedish woman from Holmby in 1885.  My grandfather and his sister were born in Copenhagen and they moved to Uppåkra 17 July 1891. 
My great grandfather abandoned the family and made his way out to Southern California in 1907.  He is listed in the "book of missing persons", so he did not inform the parish that he was leaving.  On the ships manifest he is listed as Olof Jonsson and single.
My grandfather left for Southern California in 1911 and a few months later his younger brother followed.  My great grandmother and my grandfathers 2 sisters and another brother all stayed in Sweden.  When Olof left he had a 2 year old daughter.  My grandfather told my father that Olof had abandoned the family.  It is difficult now to know what exactly happened.  My grandfather and his brother both went to Southern California and became tailors but my father never knew his grandfather.   
Hope this is enough info.
George

2021-09-26, 14:18
Svar #3

Utloggad Marianne Karlsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 469
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 10:25
    • Visa profil
Någon som kan berätta om Uppåkra runt 1900? Visst var det väl en ren jordbruksbygd?
George frågar om det.
Eftersom det var nära till Lund så antar jag att många flyttade dit för att hitta sin försörjning.
Om någon vill skriva något och har svårt med engelskan, så överssätter jag gärna.   
--
George, I' m asking for more information and can translate into English if that can help someone to tell more about Uppåkra.
All there seems to be on the net is about the bronze age....
I have followed Olof in the church books and he owned his home in Flackarp No 9 in Uppåkra parish (between July 1891 and April 1906).

Then he was the owner of a home in the city of Lund (No 350). There his title is Master tailor and his wife Elin Fältman is a midwife.
Olof disappears in 1907 and in a church book later on he is mentioned as "escaped".
Elin is still mentioned to be "Olof J L:s wife" for many years in the books.

My guess will be: He left for US either of restlessness and perhaps wanting a "better" life earning more money. Or it was personal issues and easier to just leave instead of going through a divorce. As the family says they were abandoned I guess he didn' t meant to have them coming along later on - (many fathers went at first by themselves and prepared for a life for the family coming a year after). 

I' ll be back if I hear more about Uppåkra. It' s still quite rural on the map nowadays.    Greetings, Marianne

2021-09-26, 15:50
Svar #4

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna