ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help in reading estate record  (läst 1188 gånger)

2021-06-14, 00:19
läst 1188 gånger

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 316
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-21, 18:15
    • Visa profil
My 3rd great-grandfather, Jan Andersson died 3 Apr 1831.  It appears that his son Erik Jansson was the executor??? of his will.  Catharina Jansdotter is also mentioned; however, I'm not sure if this is Erik's wife or Jan's daughter.  There was a daughter named Cathrina, but I have her in my records as dying as a baby.  However, Erik was married to Anna Katarina Jansdotter.   So I'm not sure what the estate says. Both sign their names at the end of the document.  Here is the link:

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0106841_00291

2021-06-14, 07:23
Svar #1

Utloggad Sune Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1217
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 06:42
    • Visa profil
Erik Jansson is the one who states the estate together with his wife Catarina Jansdotter
Mvh
Sune

2021-06-14, 10:48
Svar #2

Utloggad Kalle Birgersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5032
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 21:24
    • Visa profil
There was four sons and two daughters, all of them adult but only one named, the youngest son Erik Jansson who let the evaluation men in the house. As Sune writes, Catarina Jansdotter was his wife. That's basically all the useful information in this estate record

2021-06-14, 19:35
Svar #3

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks to both of you for the information.  What is the purpose of the evaluation?  Is this for tax reasons?  Is it a law to value someone's estate when they die?  Would there be tax records?   There is also an estate for my 3rd great-grandmother, Britta Olofsdotter, Jan Andersson's wife.  Could you tell me how many sons and daughters there were at her death?  There were 5 sons originally, and I am trying to find out which one had died.  Also there were 3 daughters originally, but one died as a baby.  So I may be missing one of the daughters in my records.  Thanks, Carol

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0106835_00408

2021-06-14, 20:02
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
It states there was six children, four sons and three daughters. I don't really understand the maths behind that, but at least the sons are named. Johannes and Erik was present, Olof and Jacob was busy somewhere else and was represented by a Jacob Davidsson in Räffiäll. As far as I can see, the daughters are not named. A miller, Petter Andersson in Häggebo, was busy working so his wife came, maybe that's one of the daughters? And someone else could also not come that day, and his wife had to stay home with a sick children so she was also not present.

The evaluation was done for tax reasons, but also to make sure the inheritance was split properly. There was a lot of disputes before the evaluations started. It was made compulsory from 1734, but much of the oldest material are lost now.

2021-06-14, 20:44
Svar #5

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Kalle,

Thank you so much.  I believe there must have been an error - or someone who can't do math.  I suspect that it should have read only two daughters as there were 3 but one died as a baby.  But now I know that the first child, Anders, died before his mother.  I just was not able to ever find a record.  There are a lot of items listed in the estate so I imagine Jan was not a poor man.  Thanks again for your help.  I really wish my mother had taught me Swedish.  It would be so helpful in looking at my family tree as I have Swedish ancestors on both sides of my family.  Carol

2021-06-15, 14:54
Svar #6

Utloggad Andreas Karlsson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 575
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 09:50
    • Visa profil
Thanks to both of you for the information.  What is the purpose of the evaluation?  Is this for tax reasons?  Is it a law to value someone's estate when they die?  Would there be tax records?   There is also an estate for my 3rd great-grandmother, Britta Olofsdotter, Jan Andersson's wife.  Could you tell me how many sons and daughters there were at her death?  There were 5 sons originally, and I am trying to find out which one had died.  Also there were 3 daughters originally, but one died as a baby.  So I may be missing one of the daughters in my records.  Thanks, Carol

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0106835_00408

The text says "Sex Barn, fyra Söner och Twänne döttrar", i.e. "six children, four sons and two daughters", so I don't see that the math is wrong. Children that had died should not be included in this estate inventory, unless they had children that should inherit their dead parent's part of the estate.

2021-06-15, 15:35
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Looked like "Tränne" but after finding another "Tr" to compare with I agree, it is "Twänne" just as it should be

2021-06-15, 20:07
Svar #8

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks for clearing this up.  I didn't see how there could have been 3 daughters living at the time.  Carol

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna