ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help translating case from court records to reveal name of 3rd great grandfather's father  (läst 542 gånger)

2021-03-13, 18:08
läst 542 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 00:26
    • Visa profil
Attached are three images taken from the court case involving my fourth great grandmother Gertrud Torkelsdotter in Brandstad 1799.
She had an illegitimate child born in December of 1797 which was my third great grandfather Pehr Rasmusson.  I have been trying to track down who the father was for a number of years.  I know from the Brandstad church books that she was fined in 1799 for having unmarried intercourse.  I have finally tracked down the case in the court records.  I have scanned through the document but do not see any man's name mentioned.

Here is the document information from ArchiveDigital
Färs häradsrätt (L, M) AIa:75 (1799) Image 4200 (AID: v460438.b4200, NAD: SE/LLA/10016)

Can someone translate this document?
I apologize for the length of the translation but I have been trying to find this record for a number of years.
Thank you very much,
George

2021-03-14, 12:54
Svar #1

Utloggad Maud Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 21976
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 12:26
    • Visa profil
In summary:

Gertrud Torkelsdotter from Linnehus confessed in court that she, in Brandstad, had had intercourse with an unknown man* and, as a result of this, had given birth to a child, also in Brandstad.
It was Gertrud’s first violation of the law on extramarital affairs. She was sentenced to a fine (or, in case of lack of money, seven days in prison). Furthermore, Gertrud had to give Brandstad’s parish church a sum of money, and confess her sin to a priest in the same church.
–––––––––––––

*From 1778 it was no longer permissible to persuade the unmarried woman to provide information on the father of her child. This applied to everyone, including the church and the court. The unmarried woman was also given the right to conceal her pregnancy by giving birth anonymously in another parish.
This right lasted until 1917.
Hälsar vänligen
Maud

2021-03-14, 14:21
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 00:26
    • Visa profil
Maud,
Thank you so much for translating this for me.  I am disappointed that no one is named as the father.  It makes you wonder if she didn't know the name of the father or she was protecting someone.  My 3rd great grandfather's last name was Rasmusson.  The only Rasmus in Brandstad at that time was her sister's husband.  My 4th great grandmother lived with her sister the year that she got pregnant and then moved out (or was kicked out) the next year.  I have always suspected that Rasmus was the father but there is no DNA connection to any of his descendants.
Thanks again,
George

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna