ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help translating a sentence.  (läst 1169 gånger)

2020-11-22, 23:18
läst 1169 gånger

Utloggad Bradley Bystrom

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 150
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-06-08, 22:36
    • Visa profil
I am seeking help translating a sentence into English regarding one of my ancestors who fought at Poltava in 1709 and was taken prisoner. The sentence is,
Fången 1709-06-28 vid Poltava “under återtåget från upptagsställningen i skogen till gardesskansen”.
Google translates it as either,
Prisoner 1709-06-28 at Poltava "during the retreat from the shooting range in the forest to the guard post".
or
Prisoner 1709-06-28 at Poltava "during the retreat from the uptake position in the forest to gardesskansen".
The context is as follows.
“Gen. Roos and six battalions (one-third of the Swedish infantry) became isolated while attempting to take the third Russian redoubt. After suffering severe casualties from several assault attempts, Roos led the remaining 1,500 of his original 2,600 men into the Yakovetski woods to the east at 6:00 a.m. The Russians reoccupied the first two redoubts and launched a two-pronged attack by ten regiments around 7:00 a.m., forcing Roos to retreat towards Poltava and take refuge in an abandoned fort by 9:00 a.m. when he could not make it to the Swedish siege works. Roos was forced to surrender his command at 9:30 a.m.” (Wikipedia)
In his book “The Battle That Shook Europe, Poltava and the birth of the Russian Empire”, Peter Englund states that during the retreat from the redoubts the Dalecarlians (of which my ancestor served as a Captain) were deployed as a screen as the others attempted their escape. He states, “The Dalesman, deployed to the rear and left, prevented the Russian Calvary from tying the knot in the sack. Their stand kept an escape route open to the south for the men trying to save themselves by flight. Most of those not killed or captured were washed away in a feverish general bolt down a large and many-branched ravine, running immediately behind the initial defensive position.”
Does it make sense, given what we know happened historically, that my ancestor was captured during this time, and if so, how should the sentence in question be properly translated?
This is something I have wondered for a long time. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
-Brad

2020-11-22, 23:34
Svar #1

Utloggad Ulf Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1362
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-17, 19:25
  • Ulf Svensson
    • Visa profil
As I understand 'upptagsställning' it is a temporary position behind the own lines and 'gardesskansen' is the name of a fortification, maybe the abandoned one mentioned in the text above.

2020-11-23, 00:38
Svar #2

Utloggad Bradley Bystrom

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 150
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-06-08, 22:36
    • Visa profil
Thanks Ulf. I appreciate the definitions you gave, this greatly helps in understanding the sentence.

2021-08-26, 11:29
Svar #3

Utloggad Kenneth Grönwall

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 9
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-04, 19:47
    • Visa profil
    • Kenneth släktforskar
Hi!

Do you have any more information regarding this Roos? I have a certain Peter Roos that I am stuck with and what I do know is that Peter's daughter was named Eva Roos and was born in 1751 and died on November 12, 1792 (Stockholm). A chance on my part in the hope of being able to move on with this Peter Roos :)
Fridens / Kenneth
gronwall.se

2021-08-26, 12:47
Svar #4

Utloggad Staffan Bergh

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2951
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-17, 19:34
  • aka festerman
    • Visa profil
    • BFiles
The general Roos that was at Poltava had no son or grandson called Peter, acc to Elgenstierna.
mvh /staffan -- BFiles

2021-08-26, 12:51
Svar #5

Utloggad Kenneth Grönwall

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 9
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-04, 19:47
    • Visa profil
    • Kenneth släktforskar
Fridens / Kenneth
gronwall.se

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna