ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Family tree mystery  (läst 1500 gånger)

2020-09-13, 16:15
läst 1500 gånger

Utloggad Pierce Fleming

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-09-13, 22:35
    • Visa profil
My name is Pierce Fleming. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, US. I was directed to your genealogy association by someone who is trying to help me solve a family mystery.

Arvid Emil Hildebrand Leufstedt (AEHL) was born on March 9, 1854, in Vänersborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden to Johan Adolf Leufstedt and Tulli Elisabeth Augusta Dhalgren. I have two Swedish helpers that say he stayed in Sweden and was in your (census?) books in 1910 and 1920.
We have been unable to this point to trace my great grandfather’s heritage. His name was Arvid Emil Leufstedt (AEL) and he immigrated to the US in 1881 abroad the Nils Peterson Christiana. On October 4, 1884 he married Anna Victoria Nilson. I have a Massachusetts death certificate that verifies his name and date of birth as also on March 9, 1854. On that certificate it reports his parents as John Leufstedt and Thule Dahlgren.

So at first I was told these are two different people. But then one of them reported this:
"Hi again! Wow, that's really odd, cause I can follow my AEHL through allmost his entire life, up until 1924, and he doesn't seem to emigrate and he never marries. In the last book I find him it says "escaped". That's around 1924.
But, i just checked one thing, cause there was a little gap where I couldn't find him, and that's 1881 and there it also says "escaped"! Could he have travelled over seas then?
Do you know what? I just noticed that it says "escaped" by AEHL's name in every book from 1881 and on! Did he emigrate without anyone knowing? Why did they keep him in the records year after year then? This is peculiar! “

I’ve answered: Very strange indeed! Did he escape Sweden? Did he escape his family? Did they enter him the book hoping he would return? I have to believe AEHL and AEL are the same person.
I hope you might be able to help us solve this mystery.

2020-09-13, 16:21
Svar #1

Utloggad Pierce Fleming

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
This is what another helper said: "According to the "Population of Sweden" 1900 and 1910, Arvid Emil Hildebrand Leufstedt lived at Millomgård (gård = farm) outside the town of Skövde. In a Parish Book from Skövde 1898 - 1912 I found AEHL on line 13 under "Obefintliga" (non-existent) with a notice "rymt" (escaped). Exactly which year during the time period 1898 - 1912 this was written is not clear."

2020-09-13, 17:15
Svar #2

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1121
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 13:16
    • Visa profil
People were kept on the books unless they specifically told the parish priest they were leaving. So it is nothing strange that he is found in the records for a number of years after his emigration.
Sweden had no censuses with census takers walking around interviewing people but trusted to the continously kept church and population records.

2020-09-13, 18:10
Svar #3

Utloggad Sven Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1121
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 13:16
    • Visa profil
This is the last time he is seen "for real" in the household record. He is in line 22. There is a comment "Rymd 81".
Skövde landsförsamling (R) AI:8 (1870-1886) Bild 208 / sid 200

2020-09-13, 18:10
Svar #4

Utloggad Anders Väppling

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 416
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-11-22, 07:52
    • Visa profil
All things considered (especielly the information provided in the death certificate), this is most definitely the correct guy. And like Sven says, he simply never announced to the clergymen in Skövde that he was emigrating, so from their perspective he "fled" or "ran away" since they never got any information about where he went.

So beyond any reasonable doubt, this is your guy!  :)

I found the estate inventory after his mother, Tulia Dahlgren (who remarried a man named Florberg), and unfortunately it says nothing about Emils whereabouts. But it does say that he isn't personally present, instead he is represented by his brother Alfred at the proceedings:

https://imgur.com/a/hhETedh
Source: Barne häradsrätt (R) FII:22 (1888-1893) page 311

Best regards,
Anders

2020-09-13, 22:29
Svar #5

Utloggad Pierce Fleming

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you both very much. Mystery of "escape" solved.
Pierce

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna