ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: What is the difference between "behållne matlag" and "afkortade matlag"?  (läst 656 gånger)

2020-02-23, 00:16
läst 656 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 00:26
    • Visa profil
Attached is an image from the heading of the the Brandstad 1804 Mantalslängder.
What is the difference between "behållne matlag" and "afkortade matlag"?  The people are either one or the other.

Here is the link to the Swedish National Archives.
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0005551_00817

Thanks,
George

2023-02-25, 07:44
Svar #1

Utloggad Peter Bernhardsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 260
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-03, 23:21
    • Visa profil
"Afkortade" means "shortened", or in this context "deducted". "Behållne" means "kept" or "retained". Households ("matlag") fall in to either category depending on whether they are subject to, or exempt from, taxation.

2023-02-25, 14:13
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Peter,
Thank you for your response.  I just want to make sure that I understand this.
I have attached the tax record for 1801 Brandstad.  This is my fourth great grandmother Gertrud Torkelsdotter.  She is not married and has an illegitimate son.  She is marked in the "afkortade matlag" column which means she is not being taxed.  She is also marked as "Inhs" or inhysis which means she is provided a house by someone else and she pays them by working.  She is listed as "dejan" which means she is a milking the cows.  It is noted on the right side that she is poor.  Would she be receiving "welfare" from the parish?  Is there a way to tell from the tax records?   
Everyone listed above her has "Do" in the first column with means "same as above" (meaning "ghs").  I believe this means "gatehus". She does not have the "Do" next to her name.  Does that mean she lives with the family listed above her?
Is my interpretation of the record correct?

Here is a link to the page on the Swedish National Archives
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0005548_00849

George

2023-02-25, 14:43
Svar #3

Utloggad Peter Bernhardsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 260
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-03, 23:21
    • Visa profil
It's basically how I would interpret it. It doesn't explicitly say that the son is illegitimate, but I guess you know that from other records. "Inhyses" is hard to translate, could be "lodger", but is usually applied to someone old, infirm, poor etc. living in someone else´s house or household. In Gertruds case she lives with the family on the line above in a do (=ditto), i e ghs (gatehus, cottage), on the farm Branstad no 25.
I notice that most households defined as "afkortade" have some kind of explanation in the right hand margin, "poor", "old", "beggar", as an explanation to the afkortade/behållne. It doesn't necessarily mean she received any poor relief from the parish, you would have to check the parish meeting records or accounts for that information. 

2023-02-25, 14:45
Svar #4

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna