ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help reading a household exam  (läst 1103 gånger)

2019-05-10, 07:53
läst 1103 gånger

Utloggad Michael Chang

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-05-20, 10:28
    • Visa profil
Hi,
I need help with reading and translating a household exam record for Bengt Carlos, born 27/08/1838 in Hedveda. Bengt is potentially my great-great-grandfather who was in Newchwang, China circa 1870 to 1920. The record is from "Gävle Heliga Trefaldighet AI:15a (1856-1860)", Image 32 / Page 24.
Any help would be wonderful.
Thanks
Michael

2019-05-10, 15:57
Svar #1

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-16, 13:05
    • Visa profil
Hi!

I am not sure about the whole text but when it comes to where Bengt Carlos is supposed to be born, I do not think it says Hedveda but instead Hestveda. There is a Hästveda in Hässleholm in Southern Sweden but no Bengt is born there 1838 08 27 but one 1838 12 27. (Hästveda CI/5 page 35)
For the text: First it says "försvarlig/ justifiable" and it is about how he reads. Then it says "gott uppförande/ good behavior" Then something I can not fully read but it ends with Gefle 5/3 55. Above it says "afmönstrad/ payed off (as a sailor)" and a year which is very difficult to see. First it looks like 195 something but it may be an eight so it can be 185? "in London". The whole text ends with "Betyg/certificate" and something  that might be stockh which is short for Stockholm, and the date 4/3 1879. At the right I think it says "rymd"which could be escaped. But I am not sure.

I hope someone who can read this kind of text well will help further. I just thought you should know that I do not think there is a Parish in Sweden with the name Hedveda or Hetveda and that I think it says Hestveda. Bengt came from Stockholm 1853-07-14 according page 24 but I could not find any Bengt Carlos coming from Stockholm that day in the moving in records. There came a seaman called Carl Gustaf Bengtsson from Stockholm 26/6 1853 (Gävle Trefaldighet BI/5 page 4) born in Karlshamn 1833-06-08 (Gävle Trefaldighet AI/14 b page 183). Perhaps you can read the moving in and out records and see if you can find him somewhere.

How come you think this Bengt Carlos is your ancestor? was your great great grandfather born the same year and day or is it because of the unusual name? I can say that Bengt Carlos is a very uncommon name in Sweden and I searched the register for the Swedish population between 1860-1947 and only found this one in Gävle. Because he was a sailor he might have gotten a very unusual name and Carlos is a form of Karl/Carl so perhaps he was called Bengt Carlsson before he became a sailor?

Regards and good luck

Klas

2019-05-13, 08:34
Svar #2

Utloggad Michael Chang

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi Klas,

Thanks for your wonderful help.

I just received some good helpful information from a researcher at Riksarkivet. It was related to a request for help in researching seaman house records that they have access to. They gave me more information than I had hoped for. They were very thorough.

According to Hästveda parish's birth book, a "Bengt" was born out of wedlock on December 27, 1838. His mother was Nilla Bengtsdotter. His father was unknown. In Hästveda household examination roll, August 27, 1838 is stated as Bengt's date of birth (again, no surname was given), and his mother was Nilla Bengtsdotter. So, they are the one and same person. I read a couple of reference books, which pointed out illegitimate births in the 1830s were 'normal' in Sweden. 

In 1843, Bengt moved to Kulla, Linköping. His name at that time was given as Bengt Carlsson (good one - you are right!). Around the same time, his mother moved to her birth parish, Stoby. There were a few villages in Linköping with name "Kulla", and the researcher was not able to determine which one. I searched the register for the Swedish population between 1860-1947. There is many "Bengt Carlsson", but none fitting the above.

However, they found Bengt Carlos about 10 years later (1852) living in Hedvig Eleonora parish in Stockholm. He was a service boy in C J Grönvall´s houshold at Kaptensgatan 22. According to the household examination roll, he went by the name Bengt Carlos. We have no idea why and how the surname "Carlos" came about.

In 1853, Bengt Carlos moved from Hedvig Eleonora, Stockholm to Gävle. He was registered at the seaman house in Gävle. The following five years, he travelled mainly to England and London, where he was deregistered in 1858.

In 1859 and 1860 he was noted as "rymd" (that he had "escaped" and was not to be found) and in 1861 he was removed from the Gävle household examination roll (as marked).

In 1879 he seems to have returned to Sweden for a short period of time. That is what "4/3/1879" on the Gävle household examination roll means. His first stop was Gävle, from where he continued to Stockholm. He had to be notarised in Stockholm as having the name "Bengt Carlos".

According to my family lore, no-one in our family knew the name of my great-great grandfather. His first child, a son (my great-grandfather) was born in Northern China,  in Dalian, near Newchwang, the northern-most treaty port in China, in 1870. Based on word-of-mouth, the older generation (2 generations before me) said they were told he was a Norwegian, possibly a Swedish, was a sea pilot, might have been a vice consul, and so on. He was said to have brought his son, 3 daughters and their Chinese mother to Hong Kong. The mother chose 2 children to live with her in Hong Kong, and he brought 2 girls to Scandinavia (possibly back to Newchwang or Dalian first before the forward journey), then back to North China to continue working and living his life. The first son, who had remained in Hong Kong, went to a good school in Hong Kong, and became a well-known and well-liked comprador in Hong Kong. It was said he knew who his father was but kept it a secret and, unintentionally, took the 'secret' with him to his grave. That is the story in general.

A grand-auntie, when she was aged 80 back in 1980, recalled one day she was once told that the ancestor name was "Von something, Von Carlos or Vingt Carlos". Using this information, I contacted the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and the National Archives both in Norway and in Sweden last month. The name "Benedict Carlos" (b1880 in Newchwang, China and brought up in Sweden between 1895 and 1901)) came up as Vice Consul of Sweden in Newchwang (near Dalian, North China), who was Vice-Consul circa 1910-1920. I had known that, but didn't see any connection. The Swedish Riksarkivet then went further, saying "Bengt" is Swedish for "Benjamin". That was promising but still did not fall into the timeline I was looking at. Then they found a "captain Bengt Carlos" who had donated objects from China to the Museum of Ethnography in Stockholm in 1885 (via Swedish frigate Vanadis). Further research by me unearthed a marriage record in England, of a marriage in Shanghai, China for Benedict Carlos that has captain Benedict (or “Bengt”) Carlos is the 'father of the groom'. I also determined from old Directories of China that Bengt Carlos was working as a pilot for Newchwang Pilot Company circa 1870 to 1910. He would have plied his ships up and down the China coast, staying mostly to the North part of China. The timeline fits. "Vingt Carlos" could be not right, it could have been "Bengt Carlos". As you have rightly pointed out, Carlos is a very rare Swedish name.

As for the 2 girls Bengt Carlos might have brought back to Sweden with him, which I am guessing would be in 1879 or thereabouts. I have not found any females with surname Carlos in the register for the Swedish population between 1860-1947, using birth years 1875 plus/minus 10 years, birth place in China (or deliberately mis-stated as birth place in Sweden), etc. I'm thinking it is possible he might have given them up for adoption in Sweden, or given them different surnames and left them with people he knew in Sweden, then returned to Newchwang, China to continue his work as a sea pilot.

Best Regards,
Michael

2019-05-13, 14:30
Svar #3

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-16, 13:05
    • Visa profil
Hi Michael!

This is an interesting family story and good that you got that information from our National Archive. I do some research in the region of Linköping my self so I will have a look and se if I can find your Bengt some where. Did Bengt move from Hästveda to Linköping with his mother or some other adult? He was only five years old in 1843 so it must be very unlikely that he moved by him self. Also it is over 300 kilometers from Hästveda to Linköping so do you know why Bengt would move that far? Perhaps his father came from that part of Sweden and Bengt stayed there for a while?

I just found Bengt Carlsson moving out from Hästveda in 1843 (or probably 19/1 1844). It says that he was born there 27/8 1838 so apparently the missprint ooccured very early. Also the records mention that he moved to Kulla close to Linköping and I know about a Kulla not far from Linköping. I will check that up. (Hästveda (L) B:1 (1828-1860) Bild: 31 Sida: 52)

Regards

Klas

2019-05-15, 05:15
Svar #4

Utloggad Michael Chang

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi Klas,

Thanks for your most kind offer.

Attached is the page from the moving book that has an entry for Bengt (Carlsson?). It appears as the last entry for the year 1843. It looks like his mother did not move to Kulla near Linköping with him, so another adult would have taken him there. The person could be the entry just before the one for Bengt, or someone who did not reside in Hästveda. I have no idea why Bengt moved that far.

Best regards,
Michael

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna