ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Locating a specific place/farm from Husförhör record  (läst 3219 gånger)

2019-04-02, 19:13
läst 3219 gånger

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 8
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-05-11, 18:34
    • Visa profil
Once we have found ancestors in the Husförhör record is there a way to find the exact location today of that place?  I am trying to locate Djupdalen farm near Lärum, south of Edsvalla, the home of my great-great grandfather Johannes Andersson in 1861-65.  Thanks.

2019-04-03, 04:35
Svar #1

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4518
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 03:36
    • Visa profil
Here is the map from around 1890. On todays map that should be in the area of Rallarberget and the road E45 west of Lärum = Lerum. Not much, if anything, remains today.

2019-04-03, 16:32
Svar #2

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
All my thanks and gratitude.  Very much appreciated.

2019-04-03, 17:12
Svar #3

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Leif--
Could you please cite the source of the 1890 map you posted?  I am looking for the scale of the map and some features of Edsvalla to try to line it up with current maps.  Lerum itself today is pretty much a few businesses and farms. I am happy to see the railroad line, which gives me a reference point.  Again, thanks so much.
John

2019-04-06, 12:22
Svar #4

Utloggad Laars Lövdahl

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 26
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-12-06, 19:05
    • Visa profil
Hi John
I happened to see your message and can give you the coordinates on (Bing map) to one of the Djupdalen crofts that is marked out on the old "Häradskartan" map. In the picture I attach, I have overlayed the old map on Bing map. I guess you can find some traces after them at the place.
All the best
Lars

2019-04-06, 13:25
Svar #5

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Lars--
Thank you so much for the beautiful overlay of the two maps and the co-ordinates!  Previous to seeing your work I was guessing that Europa highway 45 might have passed right through the location of the farm.  Very very grateful for your skill of placing the two maps on top of one another.
John

2019-04-06, 19:49
Svar #6

Utloggad Laars Lövdahl

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
John..
Here are more useful coordinates if using GPS
left croft 13.18308,59.42190
right croft 13.18413,59.4218
I guess that one of the building marked on the old map is the barn
/Lars

2019-04-08, 18:25
Svar #7

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Lars--
1.  Do you know of any local history experts who might know about the stone quarry and the farms in this area including the Djupdalen farm?  I enjoy knowing how long the quarry and farm were located in that area.
2.  I would also love to hire a researcher or photographer to take a look at the ruins of the Djupdalen farm today!  Would you or someone you can refer be interested in such a project?

Thank you for your help.

John

PS  This summer I am not able to travel to Sweden but if there are visible ruins of the farm I would enjoy--perhaps next year--walking the earth my great-great grandfather left in 1871.

2019-04-08, 19:39
Svar #8

Utloggad Stefan Dake

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2535
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 00:22
    • Visa profil
Try to contact Nors hembygdsförening, the local heritage association in Nor with address in Edsvalla. https://www.hembygd.se/nor
You will find Nor on the map above, in the lower right corner of the shaded area.
Stefan Dake

2019-04-08, 21:54
Svar #9

Utloggad Laars Lövdahl

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
John,

It would be nice to help you, but the problem is that I live in northern part of Sweden and seldom visit the area. However I am interested of locating and investigating old crofts or the ruins. I have ancestors that lived in Grums and Gillberga parishes, near Nor. If I pass by I will take a look on Djupdal. Maybe you can get faster help by contacting Nors Hembygdsförening as Stefan suggests.
I made a more precise fit of the historical map to Bing satellite image and got about 30 m more eastern coordinates for the buildings.
A more recent areal photo image showed that the stone quarry has been expanded and the northern part is very near where the eastern croft/ruin is located.
You can send a message to my e-mail and I will send some more info.
/Lars

2019-04-08, 22:12
Svar #10

Utloggad Kristina Gunnarsdotter

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6194
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-21, 11:59
    • Visa profil
With Google Translate you can maybe read about the history of Nor parish. The text is very long, written 1963 and published on Värmlandsrötter, Värmland’s Genealogical Society.
http://varmlandsrotter.se/varmland/s-nor-start.htm
Historik in the left menu.

2019-04-09, 03:10
Svar #11

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks to Leif, kristina 1, Stefan Dake and larsiume for your help. Here I am around the world being treated by such wonderful, helpful posts.  Such Swedish hospitality!

All my gratitude.  I will follow your suggestions.

John

2019-04-10, 23:13
Svar #12

Utloggad Laars Lövdahl

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
I attached a new  and improved satellite image collage, covering Djupdal and Mickelstorp.
I don't know how much you have studied the church records for Nor parish, especially the census records (Husförhörslängderna). Just for fun I checked around a little and found that the farm Mickelstorp as well might be of interest for you. Your great great grandfather's wife Britta Cajsa was born at that farm. Therefore I have marked that farm on the Bing satellite image from the historical map. In addition I added a layer of elevation shadows to give an impression of 3-d. Furthermore, I have given the GPS coordinates to all the buildings that belonged to the farms Mickelstorp and Djupdal. Hopefully you can find remaining ruins today. You can identify the places for the coordinates by the numbers to the right of the red marked places.
Johannes Andersson moves year 1852 from his home parish Hammarö to farm Bårum in Nor's parish. In Bårum he works as a farm hand a few months before he continues to the farm Mickelstorp.
At Mickelstorp he meets Britta Cajsa Svensdotter who is the daughter to the farm owner Sven Olsson. Johannes married Britta Cajsa  Feb. 5,  1854, and the year after that they moved together with their son Sven August (b. March 10, 1854) to the farm Malma.  There they stayed only a couple of years before Johannes moved, in year 1856, with his family to the farm Djupdal (or Djupedal as it was called at that time).  At the farm Djupdal the family stayed until 1871, when the whole family emigrated to America. The number of family members had now increased to 6 children.
It should be noted that Johannes probably was in trouble at the time he lived at MIckelstorp, because he had made another girl (Maria Jansdotter)  pregnant at the farm Malma. Maria gave birth to their son Emil in March 12, 1853, i.e. one year before Johannes married Britta Cajsa.
The farm Djupdal is not mentioned in the church records before year 1856. Possible, the farm had another name before it was changed to Djupdal. Djupdal seems to have been active until beginning of 1900s.
/Lars

2019-04-11, 06:21
Svar #13

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks again, Lars.

Lars
Thank you again for the research.  You are so generous with your time.  And it means so much to me.

The family stories about Johannes Andersson and Britta Cajsa Svensdotter are that they settled in Marinette, WI a logging town on Lake Michigan with their children.  Johannes may have died fairly young in a drunken brawl although I have not confirmed that story and have found no records.  Britta Cajsa and the children changed their surname to Malmstadt, a very uncommon name in the United States. A story goes that she was a rough person who often kept a bottle of whiskey in her apron pocket. Another story goes that my grandmother(Amanda Malmstadt) as a 10-year-old child stuck her tongue out at her grandmother's(Britta Cajsa's) body at the funeral to show disrespect.

Only about 5 feet tall, the son Sven August became a successful businessman who had a dray or livery business hauling goods in Marinette.  He lived into his 90's. He was a violin player in a band and, like his father, a bit of a rogue with the ladies. Years ago I interviewed his oldest granddaughter who described him as a lively man-about-town who was very generous to children and grandchildren.

John

2019-05-10, 20:11
Svar #14

Utloggad Laars Lövdahl

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
John,
I have more information for you. I have contacted the local community association for Nor parish. They have made a farm, croft investigation 1994.  Djupdal and Mickelstorp are included in the investigation. There are some remains/ruins after the crofts at the sites, but the crofts/buildings have been moved to other places. If you are interested I can send the information to you. You can send an e-mail to my private e-mail that you can find in my contact information. Thus, I get your e-mail address. However, if you prefer I can prepare a PDF- file and publish it here in the forum thread.
Lars

2019-05-11, 18:10
Svar #15

Utloggad John Lehman

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks so much.  I will send you a private email. The current location and historic information on farm Barum, farm Mickelstorp, farm Djupdal and farm Malma are of special interest, as you know, to those of us in the family treee of the Britta Cajsa Svensdotter and Johannes Andersson couple that left there for Marinette, Wisconsin.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna