ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Needing help in Börstil  (läst 2132 gånger)

2019-03-03, 19:30
läst 2132 gånger

Utloggad Diane Matson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 17
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-10-09, 21:20
    • Visa profil
Hello,
How do I contact researchers in Börstil, Stockholm? I would like to find someone and possibly hire them to find a few stories about my great-grandfather. This is for Matts Mattsson (1874-1909), the farm is Bjornvreten. Birth record in ArkivDigital, Börstil C:6 (1861-1886), page 196. He immigrated and married in America. I have more information to share but would like to know how to search for a Swedish genealogist familiar with Börstil.
Thank-you.
Diane Matson

2019-03-04, 11:16
Svar #1

Utloggad Hans Olof Johansson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3226
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-14, 10:15
    • Visa profil
    • www.secutor.se/genealogi/index.html
Hi Diane,

Your great grandfather Matthias Mattsson was indeed born in Börstil, but earlier in 1874 the family had moved there from the neighbouring parish of Harg, where his parents and his elder brother were born. Björnvreten was also situated in Harg (Harg AI:21, p 287), and it wasn't really a farm but a "torp", as the Swedish term is, usually translated as "croft" in English.

I'm not sure what kind of information you're looking for, but I have quite a number of ancestors in Börstil and Harg, and I may be able to help you.

Best regards,
Hans Olof
* Hans Olof Johansson 
* Uppsala, Sweden   
* http://www.secutor.se/genealogi/  

2019-03-05, 05:19
Svar #2

Utloggad Diane Matson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Dear Hans Olof,

Thank-you for reaching out! I would like to know what kind of school Matthias attended, if he held a job, what his religion was, and anything else about what his day-to-day life was like. I have information on his death from a farming accident in Idaho and would like a taste of his life in Sweden.

Many thanks for anything you can find. Your offer is very kind.
Diane Matson

2019-03-05, 23:53
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Well, I don't think I'll be able to tell you much about his day-to-day life. But let's start with where he lived before he emigrated to America.

In the spring of 1874 his parents, Matts Mattsson and Anna Lena Blom, moved with their son Jan August (born 1867) from Björnvreten in Harg to Söderö-Kulla in Börstil, where Matthias was born on July 18th 1874.

In Söderö-Kulla Matts Mattsson was a tenant farmer on land owned by the Crown. Anna Lena gave birth to the twins Karl and Anna in november 1877, but they both died within a few months. Another daughter, also named Anna, was born in March 1879 and died within seven months (Börstil AI:19b, p 98).

The farm could probably not give them the livelihood they needed, and in the spring of 1882 they decided to join the many Swedes who emigrated to America (Börstil AI:20b, p 98). Little more than a year later they returned from America to Börstil, where they settled temporarily on the island of Länsö (Börstil AI:20b, p 104). After a few months the family settled on the island of Slätön, where Matts Mattsson was leasing a farm (Börstil AI:20b, p 96).

In 1890 the family moved to Sandika in Harg, and in 1893 Mathias emigrated to America (Harg AI:24, p 24).
* Hans Olof Johansson 
* Uppsala, Sweden   

2019-03-06, 05:10
Svar #4

Utloggad Diane Matson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Dear Hans Olof,

This is remarkable information! I am stunned with your research and map in only 24 hours. This helps bring the story alive for me. I can't help but wonder what their experience in America was and why it was so short. I also feel so sad about them losing three children in such a short time.

This is indeed very exciting, and I'm going to share this with my family. Learning about our ancestors and their hardships make the harder things in our lives more bearable.

I felt that I'd looked at names and dates for so long that they didn't mean much and I wanted stories. However, you've taught me that I can still make a story out of the names and dates and moving records.

Thank-you for your valuable time. I'm looking at research a little differently now. May you be blessed for your generous efforts.

Very sincerely,
Diane Matson

2019-03-07, 00:32
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pleased to be of help.  :)

I noticed that there are three family trees on Ancestry.com with Mattias Mattsson, born in Börstil on July 18th 1874, but only one of them has the correct names of his parents.

Just to set the records straight, I believe that Mattias settled in Utah and went on to marry Maria Christina Berg, who was born in Angarn on July 24th 1866. Should you disagree, please let me know.

Best regards,
Hans Olof
* Hans Olof Johansson 
* Uppsala, Sweden   

2019-03-07, 03:29
Svar #6

Utloggad Diane Matson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hans Olof,

You are correct about him marrying Maria Berg and living in Utah. He was a father of 7 children and died in a farm accident in his 30's. I have felt very drawn to learning about him.

May I pay you for your service? I would never have picked up on the details such as his father working for the Crown, or that Bjornvreten is not a farm.

Regards,
Diane Matson

2019-03-07, 11:56
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Diane,

It wasn't intentional, but I may have misled you. Matts Mattsson wasn't "working for the Crown" - as far as I know. But Söderö-Kulla is listed in the household examination books as a "kronoboställe" ("crown abode"). Usually these were farms of various sizes housing soldiers, officers, priests etc. In thic case, though, Matts Mattsson's title is "arrendator" ("leaseholder"), which should mean that he paid a lease for living there and cultivating the soil.

As for payment - no, I do this for fun. And sometimes, as in this case, because I may pick up something interesting about my own ancestors, while searching for facts about others. My paternal grandfather, who was born in 1873, lived in Börstil and Harg in the 1880s and 1890s and may well have met some of your ancestors.

By the way, have you had any contact with your relatives in Sweden? If you're lucky, they may have kept personal memorabilia like letters from America.

Best regards,
Hans Olof
* Hans Olof Johansson 
* Uppsala, Sweden   

2019-03-08, 04:23
Svar #8

Utloggad Diane Matson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Dear Hans Olof,

That is an interesting tidbit about the living situation and my great-great grandfather being a leaseholder. These are the details I love that illustrate their lives more.

I would love to find a relative over there. I don't know anyone in that line over there, but now I compelled to search that out.

You are like the Santa Claus of genealogy. Perhaps I will need your help again someday.

Thank-you,
Diane

2019-03-08, 10:21
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Ho ho ho,

If I'm not completely mistaken, your closest Swedish relative belonging to the Matts Mattsson line is your third cousin in Knutby, Jan August's great granddaughter. She's rather old though, so it may be better to contact her son, who is suitably named Mats.

As they are still alive, I can't give you any details in this forum, but I'll try sending a private message to you.

Best regards,
Hans Olof
* Hans Olof Johansson 
* Uppsala, Sweden   

2019-03-10, 05:52
Svar #10

Utloggad Diane Matson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Dear Hans Olof,

I received your personal message and am very excited! I will write a letter tomorrow :)

I wonder how you figured that out so quickly. I have so much to learn. I'm so grateful for your service! I will let you know if anything transpires.

That is also a fun thought that our ancestors knew each other. What fun this has been!

Very sincerely,
Diane Matson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna