ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Amanda Peterson, born November 18, 1872  (läst 1783 gånger)

2018-08-24, 22:28
läst 1783 gånger

Utloggad JMKoch

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-08-27, 03:59
    • Visa profil
I have two Swedish ancestors about whose origins I know very little. One of them was my father's maternal grandmother. Her name was Amanda Peterson and she was born November 18, 1872, according to an 1912 obituary in a Sac County, Iowa, USA newspaper. Concerning her origins, is says only that she came from Sweden to the USA at age 15 and resided for a time with and uncle, Gustav Long.  That person's name does not seem to appear in any local census records.

Based on these few clues, I used the Ancestry.com site to deduce that she might be the 14 year-old Amanda Peterson who reached New York, via Copenhagen and Christiana, aboard the "Thingvalla" on June 3, 1885.  The NY record lists her as Swedish, but gives no indication of which adult (if any) was supervising her.

The Ancestry search engine also identified a "female" Amanda Peterson who went from Tranemo, Elfsbg Län to Gothenburgand boarded the ship "Martha" on April 1, 1885. Neither does that record indicate the minor was  accompanied by any relative or guardian.  However, upon consultation, that Amanda turned out to be a male Amandus.  I toyed with the idea that perhaps an adolescent girl had to feign she were a boy to be allowed alone aboard the ship.  Even today I don't people would want any 13-15 year-old to emigrate alone and amidst strangers.

A person at ArkivDigital shed doubt on my theory, pointing out that Amanda's last name would probably appear as Persdotter or Petersdotter.  That person urged that I find more information in order to trace my great grandmother's origins.  Unfortunately, the rest of the documents available through English language archives reveal nothing at all.  JPEG images of the US birth record of a grand-uncle have fields to identify their grandparents by name, but those fields are blank in the case of the mother (Amanda Peterson).  I cannot find JPEG images for my grandma's birth certificate, but my guess is that they do not name Amanda's parents either.

Could she have been an orphan or have been fleeing an unhappy situation?  Perhaps.  In any case, it would be wonderful to learn if there is any digital compilation of Amanda's, with the approximate surnames, who were born on November 18, 1872 and who migrated to the USA approximately in the spring of 1885.

In the USA, civil records of birth or marriage did not become universal until the 1880s.  Earlier church registries covered only a segment of the population, and many of those records are lost or in hand-script form only.  Was that constraint also the case in Sweden?  If so, then I can imagine my questions will be impossible to answer.

Many thanks for any help or guidance.

John M Koch
West Orange, NJ, USA

2018-08-25, 04:14
Svar #1

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4518
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 03:37
    • Visa profil
Amandus Pettersson is actually male, so it can't be him.

There is a Jenny Amanda Olsson born the right day in Göteborg. Her father died and the mother remarried a Petersson, and this child moved to Amerika 1882-08-28, maybe together with Hjalmar Gottfrid Olsson born 1866. Probably not the right person. Göteborgs Domkyrkoförsamling AIa:12 (1873-1883) Bild 453 / sid 897 (AID: v35188.b453.s897, NAD: SE/GLA/13180) and Göteborgs Domkyrkoförsamling B:8 (1880-1886) Bild 228 / sid 449 (AID: v50451.b228.s449, NAD: SE/GLA/13180).

There are several other Amanda born that day, all have o double name like Jenny Amanda and none with a clear connection to Per/Peter-son/dotter. You have nothing about a double name, or should she drop that in Amerika?

2018-08-27, 03:15
Svar #2

Utloggad JMKoch

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-08-27, 03:59
    • Visa profil
Thank-you very much for the reply.  Can you find no female A. Peterson (or Persdotter, etc.) who emigrated from Sweden to the USA between 1883 and 1886?

My solitary plausible link is that an Amanda Peterson, aged 14 or 15 (rounded), a Swede, arrived in New York in June, 1885.  No USA records confirm her destination or names of parents.  I've looked repeatedly without result.  Swedish origin is the only consistent reference.  The USA documents all refer to Swedish origin. None name her parents.  The relevant census fields are left blank.  They confirm national origin, but no parental names.  Other Petersons (early settlers of Odebolt, Iowa) settled near her destination, and erected a home that survives as a museum (search: Odebolt, Peterson, pioneer, home), but familial linkage (for a name so common) is difficult.

Separately, in the Swedish history sub-forum, I posted a question about whether, as late as the 1880s, many Swedes were born, married, emigrated, or died without leaving any records whatever.  That would obviously impede research.

I recognize that an emigrant so young would leave few records anyway.  I merely hope to locate an origin in order to confirm the community and setting of my ancestry, and document this for my relatives.

I greatly appreciate any replies or guidance.

2018-08-27, 22:35
Svar #3

Utloggad Maud Mårtensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2920
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-07-31, 09:45
    • Visa profil
John,

Was Amanda married to Isaac Kennedy? If so contradictory data can be found on FamilySearch.

1. Marriage August 19, 1891 in Odebolt, Sac, Iowa. Amanda Peterson is said to be 20 years old. If she was born in November or December the year must 1870. FamilySearch, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XJCP-2FP.

2. Census 1900. Amanda Kennedy is said to be born in December 1871. FamilySearch, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9LX-YN5.

3. Census 1910 which took place April 27. It is said that Amanda was 39 years old at last birthday. If it is correct and she was not born before that date the year of birth must be 1870. Immigrated 1889. FamilySearch, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MG9C-WY5.

4. According to the obituary (see above) was Amanda born November 18, 1872. If she immigrated at the age of 15 the immigration year must have been 1887 or 1888. Or shall the date of birth be November 18, 1871? A short notice in Svenska Amerikanaren says that Amanda Kennedy was 40 years old when she died February 13, 1912.

An exact date of birth date may seem very reliable but is not necessarily true. So try to keep an open mind and do not get caught on that. You can search for Amanda here, https://www.ancestry.se/cs/se/namnindex. But there are a lot of Amandas...

Have not been able to find a perfect candidate in the database EmiWeb.

2018-09-08, 09:41
Svar #4

Utloggad Marianne Karlsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 469
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 10:25
    • Visa profil
If focusing on Gustaf Long: there are a few with that name Gustaf Lång emigrating from Sweden.
He mustn´t be a "family uncle", perhaps just a elderly friend of the family.
Two of them didn´t leave until in the early 1900s.

Do you have any idea of in what period of time Amanda was "residing with him"?

One Amanda Peterson left Knäred in Halland in 1886 in the age of 14. She left together with her sister Charlotta. Anyone here in Sweden that know what happened to them?

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna