ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help understanding why my grandmother ended up immigrating to Detroit, living with a couple she was not related to  (läst 1149 gånger)

2018-05-11, 16:09
läst 1149 gånger

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-25, 15:36
    • Visa profil
My grandmother Signe Andersson came to the United States in 1911 from Goteborg.  On the passenger listing in New York it says that she is coming to America to stay with a friend named Alma Hunter in Detroit Michigan.  My grandmother was 17 at the time and is not related to Alma in any way.  I have not found much on Alma but the 1920 census says she was born in Indiana in 1871.  Her husband Lewis C. Hunter was born in Illinois in 1843.  In the 1920 census my grandmother is listed as a lodger living with the Hunters.  They were much older than my grandmother when she came to America and were not Swedish.  I don't see any connection.  Both my grandparents passed away before I was born and my father knows nothing about why or how his mother came to America. Is it possible that they were some kind of sponsor for her or she responded to an ad?  It seems very odd that she ended up in Detroit.  I hope someone may have ideas as to where to look or was this a common practice?
Thanks

2018-05-11, 16:28
Svar #1

Utloggad Marianne Karlsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 469
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 10:25
    • Visa profil
I have no idea, but more questions.
You say that Alma wasn´t Swedish, but perhaps her parents?
Had she been to Sweden for a visit - and then met Signe, as a neighbour or distant relative to someone? Search for her in passenger lists?
Signe could have responded to an ad, I Think that was common.
I suppose you know about Signe´s Swedish family, is there anyone emigrated to US earlier? Maybe something is said about her leaving in the parish books, have you checked that?
(Another question: Is you right about Alma born 1871 and her husband 1843 - has nothing to do with your entry I guess.)
Just what is on my mind for now. /Marianne

2018-05-11, 16:33
Svar #2

Utloggad George Lind

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-25, 15:36
    • Visa profil
Thanks for the quick response, I will take your advice.  From the 1920 census I see that both of the Hunters parents were born in Indiana and Illinois.  My grandmother come over by herself.  She did have an aunt who was living in the Boston area at that time.  So it seems odd that she would have gone to Detroit.  I haven't been able to find anything about Alma before 1920.  I don't know her maiden name.  I included their birth years just to show they were older than her.  I was also hoping that someone may read it and recognize the names and birth dates.
The Hunters end up moving to Los Angeles and my grandmother goes with them.  She then meets and marries my grandfather in L.A.
Thanks for your help.
George

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna