ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Per Persson Stålberg Family from Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden  (läst 2061 gånger)

2018-03-02, 19:15
läst 2061 gånger

Utloggad Jordan Thompson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 17
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-04-18, 04:22
    • Visa profil
Hello!

I am trying to find information regarding Per Person & his wife Sigrid Andersdotter and their family from Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden. Per was born (According to family records) 17 October 1795 in Norrbo, Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden. Per's wife Sigrid was born (According to family records) 31 August 1786 in Gullgruva, Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden. We know they had 5 children for sure, but only have the name of one of them. His name was also Per Person but he also took on the name of Stålberg. Family lore states Per Persson did some work for the King of Sweden, and in return was given the surname of Stålberg. Per & Sigrid's son Per was born 10 July 1823 in Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden. He married in about 1848 likely in Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden as well to Kerstin Jonsdotter. Kerstin was born 3 May 1822 in Skog, Hudiksvalls kommun, Gävleborgs län, Sweden. There are emigration records from 13 June 1853 of Per Stålberg coming from Skog to America. 3 years later in 1886 he went back to Skog, and remained there until 19 November 1870 when he returned to America from Skog. I am assuming that he brought his wife and children with him at this time. Per Stålberg and his wife Kerstin had 3 children together (that we know of). The 3 children were all born in Skog. Their first son was Per Persson Stålberg (This would make the 3rd Per) He was born 07 December 1848. their next child was Jonas Persson Stålberg, he was born 10 November 1852. The third child was Lars Michael Persson Stålberg, he was born 13 August 1859. The family settled down in the Fish Lake, Chicago, MN region. Per & Kerstin "Christina" first son Per "Peter" became a Judge, and their third son Lars "Louis" became a Reverend. If there is anyone who can help me find out any information on the family pre emigration that would be great. I have not been able to locate their ship manifests of arrival in the U.S. either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Jordan

2018-03-06, 09:03
Svar #1

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 777
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-10, 19:22
    • Visa profil

Hello Jordan

I guess Per Persson Stålberg was a soldier during a few years and that the name Stålberg is the soldier name he got when he entered his military unit. This navy sea unit had a rote in Norrbo, Skog parish: Stockholms station: Norrlands 1. båtsmanskompani (X) However I can´t confirm this as I can´t find the General Muster Rolls for this unit and period. Perhaps they are not digitalised yet. Then it may be necessary to ask the the Swedish National Archives:
https://riksarkivet.se/startpage[/url] .[/font]

It is hard or impossible to translate the Swedish military vocabulary as our system then where so unique.
But I hope this can explain something:

”Båtsman[font=]"Båtsmän" was the Swedish name of the navy seamen provided by the Allotment System[/url]. The "båtsmän" was provided in the [/font][font=] [/font]same manner as the soldiers in the infantry, that is through the "rote" farmers. The "båtsmän" were deck hands doing all sorts of duties plus manning the guns during battle. Generally you could say that the  "båtsmän" were low in rank and duties.   It is difficult to find English translation of the title "Båtsman". They were a type of seamen serving aboard the Navy ships as  explained above. The extraordinary about the "båtsmän" was the way they were provided - recruited - trained. The title seaman is not incorrect but "seaman" doesn't pin point this special type of seaman the "båtsmän" were. A literal  translation would be “boatsman”, however there is no such seaman title in the English language. It is "båtsman" in singular and  "båtsmän" in plural.

Båtsmanshåll[font=] A term used for the Navy Allotment System, a system of keeping sailors for the Navy.[/font]  This was the system of recruiting and maintaining the båtsmän (sailors) by "rote" farmers.

Båtsmanstorp[font=] Båtsman's croft (cottage), provided for the Navy seamen of the allotted Navy companies.[/font]

[font=]More here:[/font]
http://www.hhogman.se/allotment_system.htm

It wasn´t difficult to find your ancestors in the Church Books of Skog’s parish. But I suggest you to start your genealogical research yourself from digitalised original Church Books and Military rolls, thus eliminating the risk of copying others mistakes. For those whom it concerns it is very thrilling (but time consuming). I recommend you to start here:
https://www.arkivdigital.net/
And here you can find some interesting tutorials:
https://www.arkivdigital.net/swedish-genealogy
Good luck!
Lars Skillius

2018-03-27, 18:19
Svar #2

Utloggad Jordan Thompson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you Lars!

I have gained access to the Swedish Church books, and I have found the family. I have found Per & Sigrid living in Norrbo, Skog, Sweden. I also located their marriage record. I can only find them as having 1 son on their residency, but I just can't believe they had just the one son Per Persson  Stålberg. Also Per ( Husband of Sigrid) appears to be the only child of Per & Kjerstin, who were also living in Norrbo. Now it really seems weird that two generations only had 1 child and they named him Per in each generation? I got back to Per Persson who was born in abt. 1707 and his wife Kjerstin Olsdotter who was born in about 1715. Again Per & Kjerstin only had 1 son named Per? Is this for real? 3 generations of Per Persson being the only child? I cannot seem to find Per & Kjerstin's birth records. or marriage records. Any help with this?

2018-03-29, 22:53
Svar #3

Utloggad Erik Mouwitz

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 126
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-05, 15:23
    • Visa profil
Hi Jordan!

Per Persson Ståhlberg does seem to be the only child of Per and Sigrid (at least the only one to survive beyond the age of a few days; children that died as babies were not recorded in the husförhörslängd, only in the birth and death records.)

Perhaps I have missunderstood you in some way, but Per and Kerstin seem to have at least three children (Kerstin, Per and Karin):  Skog AI:5 (1795-1802) Bild 113 (arkiv digital).
Karin died at a young age, Kerstin went on to marry the church warden Mickel Olsson (Hanebo tingslags häradsrätt FII:12b (1830-1831) Bild 231 / sid 197).

Naming the eldest son after the father (or grandfather; doesn't matter in this case  :) ) was not at all unusual in Sweden at the time. I have several instances of this going on for 3 or even 4 generations in my family tree.

Do you now whether Kerstin was from another parish? By tradition, the marriage usually took place in the parish were the woman lived, so if she is from another parish, you will probably find the marriage record there.

/Erik

2018-03-31, 23:17
Svar #4

Utloggad Jordan Thompson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank You Erick, I apparently could not locate Per & Kristin's residency for some reason? Yes, With your help I located the page and see they for sure had 2 more children besides Per Jr. I found Karin's birth record as well as her death record. There may be some confusion on my part. As it appears I have Per Persson ( Born in 1756) parents listed as Per Persson & Kjerstin Olafsdotter, typo or coincidence in the names? hmm. I have Per's father Per being born in abt. 1707 in Norrbo, Skog, and his mother Kjerstin being born in abt. 1815 unknown birth place. I believe that Per ( Born in 1756) wife Kjerstin was born in Lingbo, Skog, Sweden on 18 Oct 1761. I tried to search for Marriage records in Lingbo but it appears the records for that area do not go back that far. I was also looking to find a clearer birth record in the actual Lingbo record books, but again they don't appear to go back that far.. hmm. Also, Is there an easier way to find the death date and places for Per Persson & his wife Sigrid Andersdotter, as well as Per Persson and Kjerstin Olafdotter's death records rather than scouring for hours in the death record books starting from the date their last child was born on up until I locate them hopefully in the Skog books?

Thanks for you help. - Jordan

2018-04-01, 19:21
Svar #5

Utloggad Erik Mouwitz

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
It does seem like the parents of Per Persson (born 1756) were also called Per Persson and Kerstin Olofsdotter, both according to recedency records and birth records. A remarkable coincidence indeed!

Their years of birth are listed as 1707 and 1715 in the recedency records (Skog AI:2 (1760-1787) Bild 62 / sid 57) though this should be taken with a pinch of salt. The only truly reliable source for birth dates are the birth records.

On the topic of birth records, the reason you could not find any records from Lingbo parish older than 1899 is that the parish of Lingbo was created comparatively recently. Before 1899, births, deaths etc. in Lingbo would have been recorded in the record books for Skog, since Lingbo was still part of Skog at the time.

Approximate dates of death can often be found in recedency records because of their chronological nature. People who are crossed out have either moved or died, and the vicar will often have noted which was the case and a year, giving an approximate time for moving or death. E.g. in the reference I provided above, Kerstin Olofsdotters name has been crossed out and the year 1772 added in the column at the far right with the header "mortui".

If there are no recedency records for the relevant time period or they have been sloppily kept, the bouppteckning is another source for an approximate date of death. Had there not been a recedency record, I could have gotten an approximate date of death for Kerstin Olofsdotter through her bouppteckning (Hanebo tingslags häradsrätt FII:2 (1771-1779) Bild 73 / sid 33) which I found  by consulting the index (Hanebo tingslags häradsrätt BouReg:1 (1759-1849) Bild 1250 / sid 118).
Since the bouppteckning was made on the 12th of october, she must have died before this date, but usually within a year of it. Bouppteckningar were not made for everyone, so if you find nothing there either, you will have to resort to picking through the records year by year.

The sources mentioned above must naturally only be used to point you in the right direction, and then verified through death records, which show that Kerstin Olofsdotter died on the 20th of april 1772 (Skog C:2 (1738-1799) Bild 2080).

2018-04-04, 03:04
Svar #6

Utloggad Jordan Thompson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Erik,

I am glad you seem to think that the parents of Per are names Per Persson and Kerstin Olofsdotter as that matches Per's wife name as well, coincidence is crazy on that.

That makes complete sense now with Lingbo records, and I should have known that from searching in Skog records. Thanks for the clarification.

I do not know any Swedish, so looking through all the records in the books have been a learning experience, and I continue to learn each day. Knowing when they are crossed out, there is an explanation usually given will help me, which will also help in searching for the death records.  Such as when you mentioned the Bouppteckning, I looked it up and realized that is the probate records, did everyone that died go through these Probate record books?
[/size]
[/size]I looked up the record you supplied for [/size]Kjerstin Olofsdotter[/size] passing on the 20th of April 1772, I think I found the record, however its hard for me to read with the sloppy script.
[/size]
[/size]I was trying to locate Per Persson & Kjerstin Olofsdotter's marriage record, but what I think I found is their marriage record as it is in the Banns and Marriage book, but its the exact same record as the birth record book for their first daughter Kjerstin? Is there confusion in the record books, or on my end, or were they married the same day their daughter was born? Im not sure but, It may be me?

[/size]I am attaching the clipping of the record I am talking of.

[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

2018-04-04, 04:27
Svar #7

Utloggad Jordan Thompson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
This shows Per Persson (Sr.) & Kerstin Olsdatter being crossed out in the Norrbo, Skog, residency books. What are the columns on the right page saying or mean? This would help in further searches to know what they mean. Does it say when they died on that page? I am assuming they passed away within a short period of time.

2018-04-04, 18:27
Svar #8

Utloggad Erik Mouwitz

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

Jordan,

Beginning in 1734 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Code_of_1734) there was supposed to be a bouppteckning for everyone, though for several reasons this was not always done, at least not until around the beginning of the 19th century, and also varies between different regions of the country. You are however lucky enough to have an index for the bouppteckningar in your härad (or tingslag in this case), so finding out wether there is or isn't one should not be too difficult.

If you find the writing in Kerstin Olofsdotters death record sloppy, I am sad to inform you that this one is very legible for the time period in question! I include a picture of the specific record, which says:

In swedish (archaic spelling)
"d. 20 Aprilis begrofs Päder Pädersons i Norbo hustru
Chierstin Olofsdotter, som blef död d. 6 dito. des sjukdom
war håll och styng. 55 åhr gammal."

In english
"On the 20th of april was buried, Per Persson's in Norbo wife, Kerstin Olofsdotter, who died on the 6th of the same month. Her illness was "håll och styng". 55 years old."

Håll and styng is probably pneumonia or pleuritis. Reading the record more carefully this time, I can see that she died on the 6th and was buried on the 20th of april, she did not die on the 20th, as I claimed earlier.

If you want to practice reading the 18th century script (called Kurrentschrift in german) you can study this http://urania-meran.it/static/1/photologue/photos/cache/AlphabetKurrent_display.jpg

What you've found is not a marriage record, only the birth record for Kerstin, recording the names of the parents and their place of recidence in the left column, the name of the child, birth and christening date (same date, in this case) in the middle column and the baptismal sponsors in the right column.

Your confusion may stem from the fact that this record book contains records for both births, marriages and deaths, (in Arkiv digital birth records begin at image 80, marriage records at 1330 and death records at 1750 in this volume)  This was common especially during the early times of record keeping. When there is no separate book for marriages or deaths for a certain time period, Arkiv Digital will for ease of access insert a link that refers you to this common book. This may however create the illusion that you are looking through a book of marriage records when you are in fact looking at something else, especially if you cannot understand swedish. In summary: right book, wrong section!

Per and Kerstin were married on the 5th of june 1788. Skog C:2 (1738-1799) Image 1580
Topmost record on the right page.

The key is in the archival designations; Books designated something like Skog AI:1 will be recedency records, books designated B will be moving records, C birth records (if all records are kept in the same book, this will generally be designated C also, as the case is in Skog), D confirmation, E marriage and F death.
Sometimes, though sadly not in the case of Skog C:2, there is a helpful index at the start of the book.

Regarding Per and Kerstins death dates they are recorded in the leftmost column of the right page, the heading of which is "omständigheter" meaning roughly circumstances. This particular preprinted recedency record does not have a specific solumn for date of death so their dates of death have been recorded under "circumstances" were general notes about the person could also be made. E.g. it seems as though the vicar has noted in this column, that Kerstin was exempt from paying taxes. It says "Befr." which is short for "Befriad" literally "set free" though in this case "exempt".
Their dates of  death ("död" meaning "dead") are recorded as Per: 2 june 1831 Kerstin: 4 december 1832. This is not necessarily correct; check the death records. The rest of the columns on the right page record dates of attendance at household examinations (Förhör, abbreviation of husförhör) and holy communion.

/Erik

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna