ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish Finns  (läst 1576 gånger)

2017-12-28, 21:55
läst 1576 gånger

Utloggad Bruce Conrad

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 16
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-22, 02:10
    • Visa profil
My grandmother is Swedish (relatives from Smaland), and I was told that her husband was a Swedish "Finn".
I believe his father is (my grandfather's father):
Edvard Kjellberg Wickman (or Vikman)
born 07/20/1868 in Korsholm, Vikby, Lansi-Suomen Laani, Finland

Does anyone know anything about this area? if it was settled by Swedes, or not?
The name Vikman/Wickman doesn't seem particularly Swedish or Finnish, so I'm not sure.
Bruce

2017-12-31, 13:02
Svar #1

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 519
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-27, 09:40
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Bruce, I don’t know the village in Finland you are referring to but Korsholm is located near Vasa town in Österbotten which was a typical “Swedish” area in Finland. Most people living in this area do speak Swedish. Mind you, I’m not from Finland so any Finns reading this might correct me if I’m wrong. Both Vikby and Korsholm are Swedish names though, so are the surnames Vikman/Wickman.
[/size]Finland was a fully integrated part of Sweden between 1323 and 1809. During this period Finland was under the same political and juridical administration as the rest of Sweden. Swedish was the primary language used in administration, jurisdiction and higher education. Finland was one of four Swedish regions or "lands" (landsdelar); Svealand, Götaland, Norrland and Finland.
[/size]In 1809 Finland became the Grand Duchy Finland under Russian rule.
[/size]Also after 1809 the Swedish language remained the only official language. In 1863, both Finnish and Swedish become official national languages of Finland with equal status. Finland has since then been a bilingual country with a Swedish-speaking minority living mostly in the coastal areas of southern, south-western, and western Finland. The Swedish Finns are called “Finlands svenskar” in Swedish which literally means “Finland Swedes”. /Hans

2018-01-01, 14:26
Svar #2

Utloggad Göran Kuhlberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 27
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-10-27, 14:46
    • Visa profil
My grandmother is Swedish (relatives from Smaland), and I was told that her husband was a Swedish "Finn".
I believe his father is (my grandfather's father):
Edvard Kjellberg Wickman (or Vikman)
born 07/20/1868 in Korsholm, Vikby, Lansi-Suomen Laani, Finland

Does anyone know anything about this area? if it was settled by Swedes, or not?
The name Vikman/Wickman doesn't seem particularly Swedish or Finnish, so I'm not sure.
Bruce

Hello Bruce!

The region around the town of Vasa was in deed at that time a Swedish speaking area and still is, even though lots of Finnish speaking people have moved in, especially after WWII. The rather big city of Vasa has its attractions!

The family of Edvard Kjellberg can rather easily be traced in the communion books of Mustasaari (Korsholm) parish from the 1840ies up to 1906. They lived on the Kellberg farm in Wikby (formerly Wiken) village from 1845 to 1874, after a few years spent in another village they returned in 1877 to Wikby to live on the Wikman farm, where they then stayed for some 20 years. Edvard seems to have avoided service in the imperial Russian army by not turning up for the draft but emigrating to America.

The dual name Kellberg/Wikman is explained by the family living on two different farms, and the use of either one of them is equally correct. 'Wickman' is probably just a variation in the spelling of Wikman. Perhaps it sounds more American!? Here is a link to a communion book page: http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=9062645. Carl Fredric Josephsson born 18.1.1835 is the father of Edvard Kellberg.

Material from 1864 to 1906 is available online, but you have to be member of  Finland's Family History Association http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/index_eng.htm to be able to use it.

Best regards

Göran Kuhlberg

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna