ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Otto Carlberg : Son of Carl Johnson and Christ Lumson  (läst 6061 gånger)

2016-11-08, 05:06
läst 6061 gånger

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 18
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-01-13, 21:53
    • Visa profil
Looking for Swedish connection and family members of Otto Carlberg . Son of Carl Johnson and Christ Lumson . Born Jan 1861 . He was my Great grandfather and is one of Saskatchewan's Pioneer families. He immigrated to the USA and married Christina Petersson (Anderson) in 1884 and lived in Stanton Iowa USA . ( Carlberg family still in area ) He came North with his family in 1906 to Canada and settled near Fillmore, Sask.. I have amazing pictures of him and the farm on the Canadian Plains . My Grand Mother was his daughter , Edith Carlberg . Any information on the connection in Svenska would be welcomed. I have numerous pictures with writing on back in swedish , which is not my main language , so I hoping some one can maybe fill in some blanks . Thanks in advance :)

2016-11-08, 13:53
Svar #1

Utloggad Helena Håkansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 163
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 08:42
    • Visa profil
Hello
this could be your Otto Carlberg;

Karlstorp (F, H) AI:16 (1881-1886) Bild 217 / Sida 205

on the right side it says he went to North America March 30, 1883

this is probably the same Otto on his first journey overseas ;
Efternamn:   JOHNSON
Förnamn:     OTTO
Ålder:       22            Kön: M
Född: 1860/1861
Församling:  KARSTORP    Län: H
Titel/Anm:   
Utresehamn:  GÖTEBORG
Utvandrdag:  1883 04 06
Destination: STANTON
Medåkande:   NEJ
Källkod:     22:297:30459

I hope you can find a connection,
regards,
Helena

2016-11-09, 10:38
Svar #2

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 234
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-16, 21:10
    • Visa profil
Normally without a place of origin, this would be looking for a needle in a haystack. But what Helena has found is so remarkable as to make her finding very very plausible.  Just to add.  Mothers name Christ would be Christina, often shortened to Stina, the wife and mother on the register picture.  So the only single small fact that does not match is her second name, Lumson, which is like a misread Larsson. 
What would help make this even closer would be if you could show the backs of some photos where we could help decipher the Swedish.
Just to add, Karlstorp was a parish in Småland. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlstorps_socken finds it (sorry, in Swedish and short on deciferable detail) with a picture of the old bell tower, and most helpfully, the global coordinates which you can click on to get a map.  I hope anyone with a connection will forgive me for saying it seems to be in a pretty remote place for somewhere in South Sweden.

2016-11-09, 10:56
Svar #3

Utloggad Helena Håkansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 163
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 08:42
    • Visa profil
Hello again,
just to explain my search for those interested ;
I first searched for the mariage of Otto and Christina 1884 - found it on myheritage (you need a subscription) here :
https://www.myheritage.fr/research/collection-30192/iowa-mariages-1809-1992?s=219647691&itemId=25383-S&action=showRecord
This gives Otto's parents as:

Father:Carl Johnson
Mother:Christ Karin Svenson

(The brides father is named Anders Gust. Peterson - fits very well withs brides names Anderson/Peterson)

then i searched this couple on the ancestry.se ''födda i sverige'' (with free subscription) 1860-194x and found the Otto in question - checked the books in Arkivdigital and it seemed to match

Karin/Kajsa could be the same name the same as John writes for Christina/Stina

I haven't found ''Lumson'' anywhere, if you could give us the source for this information Orin we could see if we can find more to confirm or infirm the Otto I found
regards
Helena

2016-11-09, 11:31
Svar #4

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Wow !  I think Christ Karin as a misreading/misinterpretation of Stina Caisa with patronymic name Svensdotter is as near as you could wish for.  I think I myself would accept this a perfect match for your ancestor unless something else comes to raise any serious doubt.  Note for completion, Stina's family name from father of Hägg also on household register page.  Do see if you can show some photograph backs as I posted above.

(Both myself and Helena posting together, but still marvelling at how the right sources,skill and a bit of luck seem to have found your ancestor - I have looked at Karlstorp C:5, AI:14, 15, 16 for interest.  All spot on.)

Late addition - family covered on Swedish site Disbyt, a shortcut to finding ancestors (membership required). Otto seems to have had a brother, a half brother and a half sister surviving and having families in Sweden.

2016-11-10, 08:29
Svar #5

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you... This is wonderful news ! Better than I could have imagined. I have some other information which I have on Ancestry.ca that I work with and yes , Wife's name was Peterson . I am 99 % sure that is the correct Otto you have found. I am still in touch with some Carlberg family members here in Canada , so I will be passing the information that I collect on to them as well. My Dad and Mother and myself were in Sweden when I was a young boy , and still I remember, us traveling around southern Sweden looking for where her grand father lived and where other relatives came from . Yes and we did see some relatives at the time , but of course , that was many years ago and no information now. Thank goodness , my mother kept all the post cards and pictures etc… in an old box in storage. She always knew that some day I would be the one in the family to be keen enough to want to try and fill in the missing puzzle pieces of our family history :)  I will see what I can do about scanning and posting some pictures and "svenska" hand writing in the next few days . I thank you both for the help :) I have attached one of the Unknown Carlberg Pics I have circa 1890

2016-11-11, 04:48
Svar #6

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi , Here is the document I found that had listed Christ Lumson as Otto Carlberg's mother . I think at the time this was written there may have been  a pronunciation issue or I am misreading it maybe ? I think your information most likely correct . I am spending some time cross referencing to some of my other info I have . I do have a world subscription to Ancestry , which has been a big help as I was able with some of your info to confirm it is Stina Cajsa Svensdotter Hägg !! So both of you where a BIG help :)

2016-11-11, 21:40
Svar #7

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

I looked at the marriage record, agreed with Lumson and then left it for half a day. 

But I recalled how names changed in USA. Otto's fathers name has become Johnson from
Jonsson.  And elsewhere in the record Swedish names such as Andersson have become
Anderson.  Further this was the time when -dotter names for women were changing to -son,
so all the womens name were eg Anderson.  And Svensdotter became Svensson !

I have one suggestion. I looked at the mothers name and imagined myself as a pastor reading
a name from a handwritten page, and putting down what he thought it said.  Perhaps he could
not read Svenson or Svensson.  It became Lumson. Capital S and L similar.  No letters with
up or down strokes.  Similar length word.  A pastor not familiar with Swedish names. Not a
perfect explanation but equally could have happened that way.

2016-11-12, 17:25
Svar #8

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 265
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-18, 01:46
    • Visa profil
Some more puzzle pieces:  in Stina Kajsa Hägg's 1885 bouppteckning (estate inventory, source: Aspelands häradsrätt FII:45 (1885-1889) Image 90) it states "sonen Otto Karlsson som vistas i Nord Amerika" "son Otto Karlson is living in North America -- so we know that this Otto was somewhere in North America the year after your ancestor married in Iowa.

Also Otto had a brother Bror Alfred (born 23 May 1863 Karlstorp) who was married 17 Dec 1887 to Sofia Lovisa Persdotter (born 19 Mar 1863 Målilla).  They had a son Karl Oskar Leonard born 14 Jul 1888 in Karlstorp and then they emigrated to N. America 11 Apr 1889 (source: Karlstorp AI:17 (1887-1891) image 70 / page 55). 

According to the 1910 US Census on Ancestry.com there was a Bror A. Carlberg living in Iowa with his wife Sophia.   So it appears that Bror Alfred from Karlstorp also used the surname Carlberg after emigrating to Iowa from Sweden.
 Name:  Bror A Carlberg
Age in 1910:        46
Birth Year:           abt 1864
Birthplace:          Sweden
Home in 1910:   Riverton, Fremont, Iowa
Race:     White
Immigration Year:            1889
Relation to Head of House:          Head
Marital Status:   Married
Spouse's Name:               Sofia Carlberg
Father's Birthplace:         Sweden
Mother's Birthplace:       Sweden
Native Tongue:                 English
Industry:              Own Farm
Employer, Employee or Other:  Own Account
Home Owned or Rented:             Own
Home Free or Mortgaged:           Mortgaged
Farm or House:                 Farm
Naturalization Status:     Naturalized
Able to Read:     Yes
Able to Write:    Yes
Years Married:  23
Neighbors:          View others on page
Household Members:   
Name    Age
Bror A Carlberg                 46
Sofia Carlberg    47
Ellen Carlberg    18
Mable Carlberg                 16
Esther Carlberg                 11
Elmer Carlberg  14
Augusta Carlberg             8
Abba Carlberg   6
Rudolph Carlberg             4

2016-11-12, 17:35
Svar #9

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Some more details about Otto Karlsson from Karlstorp.  His father Karl Jonsson died 14 Dec 1888 in Karlstorp (source: Karlstorp AI:17 (1887-1891) image 66 / page 51).

Stina Cajsa Hägg was born 24 May 1823 in Karlstorp, her father was soldier Sven Peter Hågg and her mother was his wife Elizabeth Israelsdotter (source: Karlstorp C:3 (1776-1844) image 120 / page 235).  Elizabeth Israelsdotter was born 1 Jun 1798 in Målilla (source: Karlstorp AI:9 (1841-1848) image 241 / page 232)  Sven Peter Hägg was born 6 Apr 1793 in Gårdveda to parents Hemming Haraldsson and Catharina Jönsdotter (source: Gårdveda C:2 (1715-1800) image 360 / page 689).

2016-11-12, 18:18
Svar #10

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I am sure this will help him.  But check his tree on Ancestry - he has some of this plus many photographs of Otto farming in Saskatchewan - very impressive !

Small point that I have not seen mentioned - Otto took the name of the family farm as his last name.  This was not at all uncommon.  I have an example with my oldest Swedish ancestor with a family name who incorporated part of the family farm name in his new name.  Another more recent family relation by marriage did the very same thing.

2016-11-13, 01:45
Svar #11

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Wow . I am overwhelmed with the help on here . My thanks to all .

A conversation I had with my mother many years ago may shed some light to Otto's brother now. She showed me a picture of 2 people and referred to them as the " Carlsons " and that they were our USA relatives.  This I understand transfers back to Carls Sons in Swedish names , which would mean the picture is most likely Otto's BROTHER and his wife in the USA based on where this was with my mothers Carlberg family info or … his sister ?

2016-11-13, 02:14
Svar #12

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
To add to all this , is another interesting story : When I was child of 10 or so , we went and met the relatives in Filmore Sask. The Carlberg family were very close to another family named "Anderson" . My mother used to talk about Selma and Ed Anderson all the time, like they were "family " . We stayed with the Anderson's and visited the Carlbergs for about 4 or 5 days. As a child of course , I did not understand anything more than they were aunts and uncles etc….. Later on in life ,before my mother past away , I asked her about this trip , and she said that Selma was indeed a relative of mine on her mothers side. ( Carlberg ). From the post cards that my mom had , I found out Selma's fathers name Johansson . I have not found the connection yet , but maybe this latest information I have received on here , might prove to be part of the link I need :) My mother saved so many wonderful pictures and old post cards of family members , just need to figure out who is who . Here is one from 1904 I will share :

2016-11-13, 02:33
Svar #13

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Here is another post card : unknown person ( Carlberg or Jonsson ) from Svenska about 1890 ? Any help with interpretation would be welcomed :)

2016-11-13, 11:03
Svar #14

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
As a first step, here is the family found in Fageräng Fagerhult , Kråkshult 1895-1905 AIIa:1 Page 57, living there from 1900.

Father Johansson, mother Andersdotter, whose name will probably be changed to Andersson in following registers. Father is a Torpare, a crofter, a small farmer.  Daughter Selma.  Father and daughter born Ökna parish, mother born Karlstorp parish.  Postcards properly addressed to "Miss Selma Johansson at Fageräng,Kråkshult".

Frans Johan Johansson 14 Oct 1860
Emma Augusta Andersdotter 5 Nov 1861
Selma Augusta Emilia 5 Nov 1883

2016-11-13, 11:44
Svar #15

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Emma Augusta's father Anders Gustaf Petersson, mother Ingrid Helena Hägg.  So all of the sons would be Andersson, daughters Andersdotter (at that time, the 1860s).  The family names suggest a closeness.  So more investigating to do.

2016-11-13, 14:08
Svar #16

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Helena Hägg was Ingrid Helena Svensdotter Hägg, and was Stina Caisa's sister. So directly related.

Sorry, postcard translation a bit beyond me if someone else could have a go ?

2016-11-13, 20:00
Svar #17

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Underbar !! You just solved the question I always wondered ! What was the relationship . Now I know . Others I know will be so thrilled as well to trace this down . I could not figure out why my mother had some of these post cards , but now it makes sense. She grew up with these people in Sask and was very close to the Andersons . Here is a picture of the Anderson Family on their Homestead in Fillmore Sask

2016-11-13, 21:06
Svar #18

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you John , the info has helped. I now know that Selma Anderson was my mother's Aunt . After her mother died in 1934 ( Edith Carlberg ) in Sask , Selma became some one in the family that my mother stayed close to over the years . It is so nice to finally close this gap in the Family Tree puzzle. Now to move on and figure out who is who in some of the pics so I can share with others :) Here is another postcard pic

2016-11-14, 03:01
Svar #19

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Some more details about Selma Johanson:  on 23 Dec 1908 she married Bror Henning Efraim Augustsson, who was born 30 May 1883 in Malmbäck.  They had a son Henning Eskil Emanuel who was born 1 Jun 1909 in Kråkshult.  On 10 Mar 1911 they obtained a moving out certificate from the parish priest in Kråkshult to emigrate to N. America.  Source: Kråkshult AIIa:2 (1906-1923) image 63 / page 51. 

According to the Emigranten CD they left Göteborg 22 Mar 1911 bound for Fillmore, Saskatchewan.
First name: SELMA
Head: AUGUSTSON EFRAIM
Parish: KRÅKSHULT     County: F
Title/Note: HUSTRU
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1911 03 22
Destination: FILLMORE SASK
Fellows: JA
Source: 94:277:7968

2016-11-14, 06:46
Svar #20

Utloggad Orin Beebe

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you Carl , for the information . It is very helpful . I Met Ed and Selma when I was a very young boy in Fillmore :) Good memories . Here is a picture of Selma in 1930 in case anyone wants a picture :)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna