ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: -in / -din / -lin  (läst 1001 gånger)

2008-02-14, 20:56
läst 1001 gånger

Utloggad Norm Pono Sandin

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 50
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-19, 20:26
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
An ancestor of mine chose the surname Sandin.  I have seen other names in Sweden with similar construction - Lundin, Nordin, Sundin and even Odin.  Could someone familiar with linguistics please tell me if the suffix -in (or possible -din) has any meaning?

My ancestor lived on a farm named Sandsjön and I suspect that he took the “Sand” syllable from the farm.  I speculate that in some language the suffix -in means “man” or “person” or “man from”.  I have even invented a story.  I know my ancestor chose Sandin when he became a clockmaker.  I say he chose the name because an hourglass (clock) has ***sand in*** it!

Or perhaps it is simply “your sand”.

Thank you for any answer!        Aloha, Pono

2008-02-14, 22:53
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Hi Pono, one explanation of the names ending in -in or -din or -lin etc. ist that someone went to school a long time ago. At school they were told to get a surname, and often chose a latin name, derived from the home place, like Sandinus, or Schrewelius.  

Later in the 1700s it was no longer fashionable with a Latin ending, so they cut it off and got a more French-sounding name, which was popular then. Then others tought it was nice-sounding, and started to make up other names in the same style. Usually they don't mean much.

2008-02-15, 02:10
Svar #2

Utloggad Norm Pono Sandin

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 50
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-19, 20:26
    • Visa profil
    • sandinfamily.com
Elisabeth:

I think you hit that right on the nose.  There are several Google hits for the Latin suffix -inus and one of them says the French suffix -in is the equivalent!  The meaning given is belonging to or pertaining to.

Nice to hear from you - thank you for the response!  Aloha, Pono

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna