ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Hedvig Eleonora, EIa:4  (läst 1667 gånger)

2009-04-26, 01:10
läst 1667 gånger

Utloggad Jennifer Veer

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 20
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-10-07, 06:59
    • Visa profil

Hi,
I'm having difficulty with some of the hand-writing in this marriage document.  Source:Stockholm Hedvig Eleonora E!A:4 Banns 1802-1825 0/0, genline gid # 2732.320.36000.  First, the title of the man wacktmastaren with Kgl Allmanna Maga???? ???tronen. (Also, what kind of work would this be??)  

On the lower writing, I see he is born in 1790 7/5.  I can't read anything between that date and the next date 17/7 1717.  Then the bride was born 1793, and again i can't read until the date ??/?? 21.  Then I believe it says that they live married in ???? No 10 Quart. Skrafvelberget Storre.

Bottom signatures ? Hagstrom , D. Lund.  Are these the witnesses, I'm thinking?

Upper left corner, vigle d: 21 Sept. 1823 ?? k????? ?ingvall. Is ?ingvall the priest's name?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jennifer Veer

2009-04-26, 08:28
Svar #1

Utloggad Christer Kalin

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 340
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-26, 21:16
    • Visa profil
'Wachtmästaren vid Kgl. Magazins Directionen' i.e Vaktmästaren vid Kungliga Magasinsdirektionen.

You can read about that institution here at 'Magasinsstaten':

http://runeberg.org/display.pl?mode=facsimile&work=nfbq&page=0244

It was a state institution dealing with the taxes paid in corn. There were store houses all over the country for that purpose.

'Vaktmästare' means guard, caretaker, porter, attendant. I would guess 'porter' or some kind of lower clerk at the direction in Stockholm.

The bottom signatures are those of the two who guaranteed that the spouses weren't already engaged with someone else, not in too close kinship, did willingly marry, of legal age etc.
Note that this document was written some time before and not at the marriage.

(Meddelandet ändrat av christerkalin den 26 april, 2009)
Christer Kalin

2009-04-26, 22:30
Svar #2

Utloggad Jennifer Veer

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thanks for your reply and information on Waktmastären.  That is very interesting.  I was surprised that this was a job dealing with taxes.  This man's granddaughter was interviewed as an adult and she referred to her grandfather as a 'King's guard'. I was thinking that he was a military guard. If he was a guard rather than a porter, etc. would he be part of the military guard or simply an employee guard, paid by the government?  

One other piece of information I have is that, assuming I have the right Carl Strandberg, his granddaughter also stated that he and his wife were out-cast from his wife's family because she was from a wealthy family and he was from much lower class.  

Were you able to read any of the lower paragrah of the bann that you could write to me?  It is very sketchy and difficult to decipher.  Thank you very much!

Jennifer Veer

2009-04-27, 18:53
Svar #3

Utloggad Christer Kalin

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I don't think that this man dealt with taxes personally at work. I believe that he was a civil employee at the administration of that institution. He might have been a lower rank service man, who changed to another career, but I think that the remenberence of him as a 'Kings guard' has to do with the name of the institution.
The name was 'Kungliga Allmänna Magasinsdirektionen'. I forgot 'Allmänna'. A very home made and plain translation would be 'The Royal General Direction of Storehouses'. It might be the word 'kungliga', i.e. royal, that has caused an idea of a kings guard. This is just a theory. Doorkeeper would be more likely. A doorkeeper could also have tasks of a guard.

The hand in the lower paragraph is too weak to be read. I'm sorry!
Christer Kalin

2009-04-28, 09:07
Svar #4

Utloggad Jennifer Veer

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Christer K. Thank you very much for your great help.  Your information on this is very helpful and seems to 'fit in' with my research on this man.  It makes sense and helps me know where to go from here.  

Have a good day.

Jennifer Veer

2009-04-28, 09:56
Svar #5

Utloggad Christer Kalin

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Jennifer! I've sent some comments by e-mail.
Christer Kalin

2009-04-28, 23:25
Svar #6

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Maybe the 'Kings guard' title originated with an emigrant's poor command of English? Vaktmästare is made up of two words, vakt+mästare, and a literal translation of them would be guard master. I think that may be why his granddaughter got the impression that he'd been the King's guard.

For an alternate translation, my dictionary says a vaktmästare at a government office or civil service department would be called a messenger in English.

2009-04-30, 08:25
Svar #7

Utloggad Jennifer Veer

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Anna-Carin,  Yes, that could be the case.  She immigrated herself at 18 years old and perhaps knew exactly what she meant but didn't know the better English translation.  So far all of her info. has been very accurate as far as my research goes. Thanks for your ideas.

Christer Kalin, thanks for the extra reading help on the dates, etc.  Now that I know what those two middle dates were, I am able to go look for their coming and goings from Stockholm and maybe find the woman's birth place in Täby.  The grandmother said her parents were from Värmland, so I am thinking Täby is the one in Örebro, Närke.  Thanks again everyone!

Jennifer Veer

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna