NULL Skriv ut sidan - Ingrid Ylva

Anbytarforum

Titel: Ingrid Ylva
Skrivet av: M.Sjöström skrivet 2007-03-18, 18:38
It is difficult to believe that earl Folke's wife would have been a granddaughter of king Sverker I, because in that situation, knight Sune Folkason and Helena Sverkersdotter would have been well within prohibited degree of consanguinity (related in third degree, in an era when they should have been remoter than related in fourth degree, as even fourth degree was prohibited), and the marriage done by abduction would have been yet that weaker and Sune would have suffered in hands of the church (there have been smaller things over which personal excommunication, ban, have been pronounced). There appears no sign that they received a papal dispensation.
In that era, the church was reluctant to dispense third-degree relatives to marry, those easy dispensations were for fourth degree, generally obtainable.

* relevant parts of the family trees for this:

Sverker I - Charles VII - Sverker II - Helena Sverkersdotter

Sverker I - son, the imagined Sune - imagined daughter m Folke earl - Sune Folkason

As in that case the young couple would have been second cousins, the thing would not have been overlooked by the church and so forth.

Whereas there of course is no such obstacle if the  imagined Sune was not Sverker I's son. It is fully possible that a lord Sune (not too closely related with Birger Brosa's family nor with Sune's future wife) may have been father of earl Folke's (first) wife and that her son got his baptismal name in honor of maternal grandfather. (In medieval Sweden, maternal grandfathers were one of the most usual sources of names for sons.)