NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2005-12-27

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2005-12-27
Skrivet av: Stein Rypern skrivet 2005-02-06, 10:33
Hi Jan --  

You may be right that the 1880 and 1900 Johanna Sundberg might be an entirely different person than the 1930 Johanna Sundberg, and I *think* I understand your reasoning, but I'd like to check if there is something I am missing in analyzing the known information.

Census 1930: If her last birthday was 85 on April 5th 1930, that means that she was born between April 6th 1844 (one day short of turning 86) and April 5th 1845 (turned 85 the day of the census). Correct last known address and name, but known DOB from Sweden is 18-Aug-1845, which would have made her 84 in April 1930. Still - - it would be too much of a coincidence if it was a *different* Johanna Sundberg living at the same street address in Lake City in April 1930 (Census) as the one who lived there in May 1928 (last letter to brother).

The 1880 census list age of the Johanna Sundberg in Nobles as 34 years old on June 19th 1880. That indicates a birth between June 20th 1845 and June 19th 1846, which is consistent with known birth date in Sweden 18-Aug-1845. Name of husband is Charles - which is consistent with married Victor C (Charles ?) Sundberg. But the year of emigration is five years off - 1864 vs 1869.

The 1900 census give DOB for Johanna Sundberg in Nobles as December 1846. Handwriting is very clear and cannot be mistaken. Yet the person in the 1900 census and the person in the 1880 census (which indicate a birth date between june 1845 and june 1846) is clearly the same person - based on location and family members. Several daughters, including at least two born around 1880/1890.

We don't know the date of birth for the Johanna Sundberg whose death certificate was issued in Ramsey in 1936.

So I cerntainly agree with your advice about getting the death certificate is a good one. See if the date of birth is the same one as the Swedish one (ie 18-Aug-1845) and if the mother's maiden name matches.  

I would also double check the information from the Swedish registers about date of birth and date of emigration, unless you have already done that, to make sure the date of birth and year of emigration is correct. DOB is wrong for 1930 census, Year of emigration is wrong for the 1900 census.

Jan - any other clues I should have picked up ?  

Anyways - I understand how you see that there is a Johanna Sundberg death certificate to be bought from the MHS, since we already know of the existence of a death certificate, even if not all the info on it is on the net. And $12 (for a MN resident), $15 for anyone else is IMO not too bad for a copy that contains the actual date of birth and mother's maiden name.  

But how did you find out that there *is* an obit ? How could I have found that piece of information ? Or are you just saying that you can pay the MHS to go look up in the archieves of two two local newspapers in Ramsey from 1936 to see *whether* there is an obit - there is no guarantee that such an obit actually exists for her ?

Grin,
 Stein, always eager to learn more