NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 6.1.2002

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 6.1.2002
Skrivet av: John Sidén skrivet 2001-04-01, 22:41
Hi Stig again,
I wish I could help You more but I'm afraid I can't. But maybe I can answer some of Your questions.
Maybe You can find Karl Wilhelm Nilsson on the CD Emigranten. You can also contact Utvandrarnas hus in Växjö (a centre for research of Swedish people who had emigrated). Here in Anbytarforum there is a place where You can put questions about people who maybe are on the CD Emigranten, it is a CD with information of many people from Sweden who had emigrated. Maybe You can with help from the CD Emigranten and people at Utvandrarnas hus in Växjö get to know a little more about what happened to Karl Wilhelm in the US.
When Karl Wilhelm was 19 years old he went to Stockholm and to the Svea Artilleriregemente, probably to be employed in the regiment and he really was employed there. Many young men did that at that time. The young men in the Swedish conutryside at that time had not much to choose, they could stay home and work on farms, Karl Wilhelm did that for some years, they could be soldiers, Karl Wilhelm did that too for some years, they could go to Stockholm, Karl Wilhelm was educated soldier in Stockholm, and they could emigrate to the big promised land in the West, and finally Karl Wilhelm did that. You ask if Karl Wilhelm was a well educated man. He could probably write and read, he had went through confirmation classes and he had some education being a soldier, I think he was better educated than his father but not so much.  
I think You had to contact Pastorsexpeditionen in Ringarum parish. They can give You names and adresses for living descendants to Karl Wilhelm's sisters.  
With best wishes
John