NULL Skriv ut sidan - Genealogy help needed

Anbytarforum

Titel: Genealogy help needed
Skrivet av: Kimberly Lopez skrivet 2013-06-07, 05:02
Hello!  

I apologize to post in English.

I have been searching for ages for information for my great-grandmother's family who emigrated from Sweden in 1880s. I have found plenty of information on my great-grandfather's side and continue to investigate. I hope that someone can help! My great aunt traveled to Sweden many years ago and has provided the limited information that I have.  

I am missing all birth dates, but one.  

Father: Gustaf Johansson  
Mother: Anna (one surname suggested was Andersdotter)  
Children:  
Mary Elizabeth - 16 Feb 1873 (my great grandmother)  
Alma  
Augusta J  
Emma  

The information provided said they were from Westergotland Sweden. I assume this is Västergötland. I do not have better information on the parish. This is where I am lost!  

The first record I find is her marriage record (20/06/1892) to Peter Alfred Carlsson (17/12/1865 Västra Vingåker) in Wisconsin, US.  
In the 1900 US Census, she states her immigration year was 1890. The census record is from Winnebago, Illinois.  

The story I have heard is that Peter Alfred Carlsson helped the family relocate or get settled in the US. I do not know if the father emigrated first or if he came over with the entire family. The 4 sisters were on the ship together. One of the sisters became very ill on the journey and was thought to be dead. She came back to life before she was buried at sea.  

Since Peter Carlsson is from a completely different county as the Johansson, I am not sure how the two families became connected. I have checked all of the counties where the Carlsson family has lived to see if they were maybe neighbors at some point. No luck. It is most likely they met in the US in the Swedish community.  

I have also searched all of the passenger lists out of Sweden and cannot find the 4 sisters on the same ship. My mother has heard that they family had to move in secrecy. I guess they did not have permission to move. I don't know why this was the case either.  

Thank you in advance for any thread of information that will lead to the right place!  
Cheers  
Kimberly