NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2004-01-10

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2004-01-10
Skrivet av: Judy Olson Baouab skrivet 2003-09-08, 22:04
Hi Judy,

It is better to check the birth/baptism records for Hjo in this case, instead of the husförhörslängd. You could then find where his family was living at the time of his birth and then go directly to that residence to see his family.  

What is the source of his birthdate? It may be that Kerstin HAS found your Gustaf Alexander. You can't be sure that his father also used Ekström.

He is listed as being born in Hjo (but not which Hjo) on the 1890 census on Arkion.  

The birth records for Hjo Landsförsamling and Hjo Stadsförsamling and the husförhörslängd records for Hjo from 1853-1863 (closest to his birth) are also on Genline. He should be listed by his given names, not by a last name, with his parents. See how many other Gustaf Alexanders (no matter how it was spelled) were living there with the same birth year. It may be that your date is not quite right. Genline is fee based but there are different types of subscriptions.

http://www.genline.com

Another way to deal with this problem is to use the records for Baltak parish where he was found in the 1890 census and work backwards through those records. Perhaps the birthdate in later records is incorrect because a priest misread a scribble. (I have seen a LOT of errors in dates on the husförhörslängd.The following is just one example of many. My farfars mor was listed with a birthdate of 29 January 1829 but no one by her name was born on that date. It turned out that she was born 29 March 1829. The date was written correctly in her birth parish of Brålanda but in records for Frändefors, the 3 (for March) became straighter and straighter until after a few years, the priest must have thought the 3 was a 1, and from that point onwards, her birthdate was 29 January 1829. I have several more horror stories for incorrect dates. The actual birth/baptism record need to be checked and if there is a conflict, the birth/baptism record is more likely to be correct since it was recorded at the time.)

Judy