NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-09-08

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-09-08
Skrivet av: Rolf Leander skrivet 2006-06-27, 08:33
Dear family researchers,

I have had the following question under Ancestry & Rootsweb Message Board and Sweden-D before, but I have not succeded to find the answer yet even if I have received many recommendations where to try.

My question concerns my uncle August Alexander Leander and information about his death.

He was born on May 5, 1876 in the village Lämås belonging to the city of Karlskoga in the province of Värmland in Sweden. He emigrated to Amerika on Sept 9, 1896 under the familyname Augustsson. At the arrival in Amerika he took very soon the familyname Leander. From the Population Schedule for Chicago of 1900 I know that he lived as lodger at Fredrik Olsson and Amalia Olsson on Wendell Street 17. I have not succeeded to find him in the later Schedules.  

On a list of gold-miners published in the Family Chronicle of Sept-Oct 1996 I have got the names Axel Leander, tailor, living in Nome in 1901 and A. Leander. miner, living in Teller City in 1901. Axel Leander might be the brother of August Alexander Leander, who was born in 1872 and emigrated in 1892, and A. Leander might thus be August Alexander Leander. In the Family Chronicle was said that information about the arrivals and the birthplaces and the medical status about the persons on the list should be shown on the internet. This project was however not fulfilled as the person, who should put these information together, Mrs M.L. Fergusson from Los Angeles, fell ill  and could not fulfil her task. The only remaining information about the gold-miners is, as far as I know, only this list with 24.200 gold-miners. I have however accepted that my uncles tried as gold-miners in 1900.  

On the Census of Alaska, Schedule of Population for 1900, which is a passenger list for the Steamer Senator of Los Angeles, is noted A. Leander and on the  passenger list for the Steamer Oregon of Seattle is also noted an A. Leander.  

In the Alaska Yukon Directory and Gazetter for 1902 is noted Leander Axel, tailor on 118 First Ave in Nome and A. Leander, miner in Teller City.  

Axel Albin Leander I have been able to follow from 1910 in Chicago, where he married Josephine Westerlund in 1918, to his death on on March 12, 1934. What he did and where he lived between 1892 and 1900 and between 1902 and 1910 I have not succeeded to find out. He had  no children, who could have information about the ”lost” years, and this question I have decided to give up.

August Alexander Leander had however in Chicago on April 1, 1898 a son out of wedlock with Ida Maria Johansson from Mortestad in Sweden. The son, who got the name Roy Johnson, died however already on Oct 11, 1898, and the mother married already on Nov 22, 1898 Magnus Andersson from Tranås in Sweden and formed with him a new family. About this family I have received copies of all burial documents from the Mount Olive Cemetery in Chicago, and this also shows that the body of the son Roy on Nov 16, 1957 was moved to the family plot of Magnus Andersson. The cemetery had no information about the birthplace of August Leander, but his age and profession as tailor are correct.  

After 1902 I have no more information about August Alexander Leander. From his hometown Karlskoga I have been informed that the last information from him is from 1909, but no letters have been preserved about this. In connection with a distribution of the estate after his father in Karlskoga he was in vain searched, and in 1950 he was declared dead with the estimated day of death Dec 31, 1928. I have in vain tried all ways I could find to find information about him after 1902.  

I would be very grateful, if anyone could help me to find a way to get information about  what happened to August Alexander Leander after 1902. Did he die in Teller City? Did he return to Chicago or any other city in the US? Did he return to Sweden?

With thanks in advance for any kind of  help I remain  

Sincerely Yours
Rolf Leander  
V. Tullgatan 1A  
S-824 30  HUDIKSVALL, Sweden
Tel: 0046-650.93 227
E-mail: rleander@brikks.com