NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 13 mars, 2014

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 13 mars, 2014
Skrivet av: Maud Svensson skrivet 2014-03-07, 21:11
Hello Alexander,

According to Svea livgarde parish records, Carl August Hedgren was born 4/1 (January 4) 1816 in Stockholm. He enlisted in 1840 and moved in from Indal, Västernorrland county (in northern Sweden), where he had been a farmhand. He married Gustava Charlotta Algren 7/5 1844 (marriage ceremony in Svea livgarde) and he left Svea livgarde for Värmdö in September 1846.
Svea livgarde AIa1:41 p. 14, 29 and 37
Svea livgarde EI:2 p. 32

Carl August Hedgren b. 4/1 1816 is found in Indal parish records 1840, noted to have left for Stockholm this year. No note on when or from where he had come to Indal, and I have not found him anywhere else in this parish book or in the previous one (about 500 handwritten pages to look through, so I might have missed him).
Indal AI:6 p. 267c  

When people born in Stockholm are found far from the city in the 19th century, they are usually orphans from the Stockholm orphanage Allmänna barnhuset, which sent children to foster-homes all over Sweden. However, that does not seem to be the case here.

Hedgren was not a common name in Stockholm at the time. I believe I have found the birth and parents of your Carl August Hedgren, but there is a weak link: I cannot tell you if/when he left Stockholm for Indal.

Carl August b. 4/6 (June 4) and christened 7/6 1816 in Allmänna BB (a maternity hospital) in Stockholm. The delivery journal does not give the name of the mother, only her age (30), her civil status (married) and the number of her childbirths (Carl August was her 4th child). According to a note a new birth certificate was issued in 1829 so I guess Carl August was still in Stockholm then, 13 years old.

The parents of Carl August were Lars Hedgren b. 2/3 1783 and Regina Ulrica Bohne b. 21/2 1786 in Uppsala. Marriage 4/9 1811 in Hovförsamlingen, Stockholm. (Hovförsamlingen is a non-territorial parish for the royal family and the employees of the royal court.)
Hovförsamlingen EI:2 1811 nr 28

At the time Lars Hedgren was a kammarhusar (= a footman dressed like an Hungarian hussar) in the royal palace in Gamla stan (= Old city). He and his family did not live there but in another part of Stockholm; in Ladugårdslandet, today called Östermalm.  

Lars Hedgren died 19/7 1821. During the last years of his life he was a carpenter, still belonging to Hovförsamlingen. Cause of death: Inflammation. He was buried where he had lived; in Ladugårdsland (Hedvig Eleonora) parish.
Hovförsamlingen F:1  

In the population register of 1820 Lars Hedgren is listed with his family; wife Regina Ulrica, son Carl August and daughter Adolphina Charlotta b. 14/4 1812. The family was poor. The two other children, born before Carl August, had probably died. There were two more sons: Per Gustaf b. 7/6 1819 and dead 9/9 1819, Johan Erik b. 1/2 1821 and dead 28/10 1822.

Johan Erik Hedgren died in the orphanage Allmänna barnhuset where he was supposed to be taken care of for a couple of weeks while his mother was in hospital. For the same reason Carl August was put in Allmänna barnhuset 24/3 1818 but he returned to his family 6/5 1818. After that there is no trace of him in the orphanage records (in Stockholms stadsarkiv = City Archives of Stockholm).

Regina Ulrica Hedberg b. Bohne is found in the population registers until 1832. I have searched but not found her death. From at least 1830 she was living alone, without children.  

This may be your family, Alexander - but don't forget the weak link!