NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2003-06-26

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2003-06-26
Skrivet av: Jill Raneryd skrivet 2000-01-13, 13:43
Jag har lovat att försöka hjälpa en dam från USA med att sätta ut en efterlysning här. Hon är precis nybörjare vad gäller datorer och Internet så att själv sätta ut en efterlysning här var knappt att tänka på fast jag förklarat hur hon skulle göra. Nåväl...

Hennes morfar var en av tre som överlevde en förlisning på ett skepp utanför Australiens kust.
Jag citerar Ilsa Jorgensen, som hon heter.

He was a Swedish sailor and we have a story in the family that he was one of three men who survived a shipwreck off the shores of Australia, on the Great Barrier Reef.  
I am looking for information about this ship: its history etc.  
My grandfather's name was (is) Knute Staffan Svensson.  He later changed his name to Falk, but I'm not sure when this happened.  That's another mystery I want to clear up. I've heard that the Swedish military assigned new surnames to men with all too common surnames: Johnsson, Swensson, etc. It made it easier to call roll!  Knute was born 27 Nov 1876 in Hjalmseryd, Jonskoping, Sweden.

At the age of 15 he went to the Swedish Naval Academy, around 1891.  After seven years of study he served in the navy for two years.  After that he served in the merchant marines.  About 1910 he was on his way to Australia, but stopped in America where he sailed freighters on the Great Lakes to finance his immigration, but met my Grandmother and never made it further west than that. where did he get his new surname Falk?  When?  What ship was he on when he survived its sinking in a storm? Any help you offer will be greatly appreciated.

Det går jättebra att svara på Engelska så vidarebefodrar jag ett eventuellt svar till Ilsa.

Mvh
Jill