NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 13.6.2001

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 13.6.2001
Skrivet av: Stephen Carlile skrivet 2000-04-17, 22:53
I am looking for information on my Swedish ancestors.  My late Aunt believed that Sven Petter came from Goddard Smolen, Sweden, but that is an American spelling of the names she heard, and the pronunciation is probably wrong.

I am hoping that someone on this list might know if instead of Goddard, the place my aunt heard may be Göteryd, Småland, Sweden.

After marriage in 1844 I believe my ancestors may have lived (1851)at Smedbo, which belonged to the farm Entsebo #1 in Målilla parish.  They received their moving papers 1 Jan 1851 before emmigrating to the United States.

Sven Petter Hanson born 26 Feb 1812
Carolina Månsdotter born 25 Nov 1823
Johan Eric born 26 Apr 1847
Sven Magnus born 12 Jan 1850

Sven Petter Hansson may have been born in Pelarne Parish, and his father may be Hans Persson. Sven Petter is believed to have had a brother named Johannes Hansson, born 7 Mar 1809 and a sister (name unknown)born 9 Jan 1816.

Carolina may have been born in Lönneberga Parish, and her parents may have been Måns Svensson and Catarina Samuelsdotter, married 19 Nov 1806.  Carolina's brothers and sisters may be Anna Stina Månsdotter, born 1810, Samuel Månsson, born 1812, Johan Månsson, born 1818, and August Månsson, born 1827.

I am not sure about the Hansson name because Sven Petter used the name Swan Peter Anderson when he was in the United States.  A daughter was born in New York in 1855, and other children were born in Chariton, Iowa after 1857.

I would like to know:
1. Does the name Göteryd sound like the english word Goddard?
2. Whether anyone knows of any Swedish relatives of these families?
3. Does anyone know when they emmigrated to the United States, the name of the ship they sailed on, when they may have arrived, and where (what port) they may have arrived at in the United States?
4. If my family did change its name, why would they have changed their surname to Anderson?
5. Did other family members, of the Hansson or Månsson families, also emmigrate to the United States?

I apologize for the length of this information and query.