NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 29.8.2002

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 29.8.2002
Skrivet av: Anne Minken skrivet 2002-06-10, 20:58
Lisa, 

The Alexis family is mentioned in a book about Kosta glassworks 1820 - 1880. 
Carl Johan Alexis was the grandson of Erland Alex. 
Erland Alex was a (professional) soldier. He belonged to a cavallery regiment. He settled in the village Kylleskruv in Lenhovda parish in 1838. His son Alexander was born in Älghults parish in 1834. At the age of twenty Alexander together with his brother Carl Gustaf started to work at Kosta glassworks. Alexander worked as a stoker and after 1874 as a melter at the glassworks. In 1855 Alexander married Carolina, daughter of Johan Kula (a soldier) and Sophia Gerner (daughter of a glassblower of German origin). The book says nothing about Carl Johan, but I guess he must have been the first child in the family. It is most likely that he worked at the glassworks too, before he went to America.     

Why has Carl got such a long and strange name? The two given names - Carl Johan - were very common in Sweden at this time. He was probably named after the Swedish king Carl Johan. The name Alexandersson is a socalled patronym, used because his father´s first name was Alexander. This was the ordinary form of Swedish surnames (except in the upper and middle classes) at this time. The surname Alexis is more puzzling. Workers at the glassworks often took stable surnames long before this naming tradition was usual among the other inhabitansts of the district. I guess they were inspired by the many German glassblowers who immigrated to Sweden and took their naming traditions with stable surnames with them. 

The book I am referring to, is a thesis in history. The author is Mikael Ottosson and the title of the book is  “Sohlberg och Surdegen”, Malmö 1999. 

Best wishes
Anne