NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Origins of Name Molander?

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Origins of Name Molander?
Skrivet av: Klas Wallén skrivet 2022-08-21, 18:55
Hi Mark!

Of what I understand, and mention above, his brother Claes was and innkeeper and not a miller. It was the brother Anders who was a miller for a while according Gert Pålsson, but Anders did not take the name Molander. So if that is correct two brothers took the same surname, Molander, without having the same occupation. But it is probably a good idea to check that up if you can, and see for your self that Claes was not a miller. If the brother Claes was not a miller I think that points to that it was not from the word Mölla or Mjölnare (mill and miller) Molander was inspired. If not their father was a miller?

Molander is a surname that not only existed in Motala and there about but in several places in Sweden and Finland during the past. Therefor it is not a direct connection between mo in Motala and Mo in Molander. I am not sure here but my guess is that "mo" in Molander comes from the special kind of sandy plain, often with pine trees and heather growing on it. Mo is a word that we know about in the old Norse language from the Viking Age. It is also used in Finland. But off course, because the brothers came from Motala, and they most certain did not know the exact meaning of mo in Motala (part of the word mot), they might have thought it sounded good to start their names with mo just as in their natvie place?

Regards

Klas