NULL Skriv ut sidan - Help interpreting mantal

Anbytarforum

Titel: Help interpreting mantal
Skrivet av: George Lind skrivet 2022-01-17, 02:19
Attached is an image from the 1798 Brandstad mantal in Southern Sweden.  I have attached two images, the left and right sides of the page for Rasmus Bonesson.  He is the fourth name at farm number 3.
At the left its has "Ihs" which I believe is an abbreviation for inhyses.  Then it says Rasmus Bonesson, wife, 2 children Ihs(inhyses) Gjiertru.
The right side of the page has a 1 in the wife column, a 1 in the torpare man column, a 1 in the over 63 column and a 2 in the under 15 column for a total of 5.  Then there is a note about Gjiertru being poor.

Am I correct about the "Ihs" abbreviation.  He does not have a mantal fraction before his name so he is not paying a tax.  Why would he be listed as inhyses if he lived in a torp.  Doesn't inhyses mean he is living off someone's support and a torp would mean he was renting a small farm and supporting himself.  Why wouldn't Rasmus, his wife and Gjiertru be listed in the inhyses column? 
Who would he be renting the farm from.  Can we tell from the document?  The person above him is from farm number 22.  Would it be the person above that (Anders Olsson)?

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Here is a link to the page on the Swedish National Archives
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0005545_00809

Thanks,
George