NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Anders Andersson Birth Record

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Anders Andersson Birth Record
Skrivet av: Staffan Bergh skrivet 2021-12-07, 19:50
Peppe has already given you the right birth notice -- but I think you'll also want some explanation? And this is yet another great example of how to do Swedish genealogy, thanks for coming up with it! :)

So, we're looking for Brita Stinas father, Anders Andersson, born 1775-06-17 (June 17th ...), parents Anders Andersson (it's shortened to "And.son" in the household record), born 1743, and Stina Olsdotter, b 1752 --  probably ... In particular, Stina may be his step-mother. The title "son" is relative to the head of the household, remember, which is Anders b 1743.

As a first attempt, try to look up the birth record directly -- but no ... Something must be wrong. Most errors are copying errors -- from household record book to the next, from moving-in records to household records, or vice versa, or from birth records to household records. More seldom, the priest failed to enter a birth/baptism -- maybe because he had mislaid the notes, and couldn't find them when it was time to enter them into the big book ...

The standard approach in that case is to track the person back through the household records, to see if one can spot the error (you should do that here, too ... solution in the PS ;)) -- but in this case he has the same parents and the same birthdate and lives in the same place all his life. So he must have been born on another date, and mis-copied from the birth record to the household record.

So now we have to scan the birth records -- what I usually do is to look at all the Anders's (in this case) the same year, and check their parents: and we find the birth notice Peppe found. It says that #90 that year, Anders,  was born August 17th, parents Anders Andersson and his wife Cherstin Olsdotter i Nederby, and (far left) that the mother was 24 years old (ie born about 1751). The names in the curly bracket are the witnesses/godparents.

If you don't find them within the year go out a few year on either side ... but usually not before the marriage. If there is a index of births you can use that as a way to get a hint (I did, in this case ... 8)), but always check the records.

So that makes for a likely explanation of what happened -- the priest made a simple error, and noted a 6 instead of an 8 for the month, in the household record. And it was never corrected -- because "ordinary" people didn't know what was written about them in the books, and Anders may very well not have known his own birth date -- it wasn't common to celebrate birthdays. 

---

PS: The track back goes like this