NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Translation help --> colonels Thomas and John Kinnemond, 1645

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Translation help --> colonels Thomas and John Kinnemond, 1645
Skrivet av: Robert Reisman skrivet 2021-11-18, 22:45
Thank you, Kalle! I am very grateful for your help.

Yeah, that is the main problem - I cannot really connect Swedish Kinnemonds (adliga ätten nr. 505) to their Scottish ancestors. I know that there is a document from 1636 (mentioned in Scottish sources) that Johan (John) Kinnemond aquired from Scotland, proving his ancestry. He needed it to become ennobled in Sweden, but as he died in 1638, he never achieved that. I believe this document is somewhere in Swedish archives, but have not yet found it. Patrick and Thomas (both colonels) were born in Callange, Fife (in Swedish sources it has been written as Calensk, Calensch etc.) and I am 99% sure they belonged to Kinninmonth of Craighall family. Craighall was about 1-2 km from Callange and it was usually the home of the oldest son of the laird of Craighall. But the exact relation is still very open.

With Johan it is even more mysterious. I know nothing about his birthplace or when he came to Swedish service. He is clearly older than Patrick and Thomas as he started his military career earlier, yet he was probably their close relative, because Thomas inherited his Enneberg estate. Actually Patrick should have been his heir, but he died in the summer of 1639, so Thomas became his heir. Quite sure that Patrick and Thomas were his nephews (brothersons), but there is a chance that they were his younger brothers.

Thomas could have not been the nephew mentioned in the document, as he was already commandant of Coporie castle and lieutenant colonel by 1639. I guess this sister's son from Scottland was illegible for inheritance because of the 1604 Norrköping-rule which stipulated that estates cannot be inherited through female line.

When it comes to Patrick and Thomas Kinnemond's parents, it really is even more confusing. There is absolutely no additional info about William Kinnemond or Margaret Whitekirk. Whitekirk is not a Scottish family name - searches give literally zero results for that. Whitekirk has been a feudal estate of Learmonth family who were very close neighbours of Kinninmonths of Craighall, but by the 16th century, they did not own it any more.

Thank you again and I hope that one day I am able to solve this mystery.

Robert