NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Wolffe and Hoffstrom

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Wolffe and Hoffstrom
Skrivet av: Erik Mouwitz skrivet 2021-01-31, 10:27
Oh, that's quite the list!

I think a good strategy would be to first try to find those men for whom more specific places of birth than just "Sweden" are given. Most of these men are from Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Karlskrona. One is from "Alinsforth", which I think could be an anglicisation of Alingsås, and one is from "Corkscrew"(!), which I think could be anglicisation of Karlskrona.

After this first selection (men with specific place of birth), one should focus on the men who have a family name, rather than just a patronymicon, since separating one Andersson from another Andersson is always a challenge i Scandinavian genealogy.

I think that the sjömanshus archives will be very important in the research, as they have already been, since few Swedes other than sailors would have had reason to travel overseas at the time. The Sjömanshus archives vary greatly in quality. I have some experience researching the one in Visby, since my family has branches on Gotland, and I find that archive very well kept. The same can be said about the one in Stockholm, but the one in Gothenburg seems more messy and disorganised.

At the moment, I am still focusing on the Hofström family, and have reached the end of the 19th century. It is an interesting family; I have already found a case of a woman poisoning her husband and serving life in prison, and a family emigrating to the American continent, living in Canada, the USA and finally Cuba.

Regards
Erik