NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Translation help

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Translation help
Skrivet av: Don Kaiser skrivet 2020-02-06, 22:21
Anti Poika and Kalle Birgersson,

I thank you both for your wonderful replies. I had no idea that my simple question about the name of a lake and marsh would produce such an interesting discussion about language, ecology, and botany.

I was struck by the idea that the name of the lake may have been derived from the name of the alder tree because we are talking about a place called Björkenäs, also named for a tree, although I don't know the actual meaning of Björkenäs? I don't know if you have ash trees, but they happen to be relatives of olive trees and the family name in Latin is Oleaceae. Do you think the lake may have been named for ash trees? In Norse mythology, "The first man, Ask, was formed from the "ash tree" according to Wikipedia.

Google maps indicates many more buildings in Björkenäs than just the two I noticed on one of the earlier maps in this discussion. I forgot to ask if all of the other information (pages of text) on the webpage with the 1851 map Björkenäs is an historical description of the place, or maybe something else?

Regarding the owls, I was actually hoping to make you laugh or discuss the expression "ugler i mosen," although that might be strictly Danish.

Don