NULL Skriv ut sidan - South African Projenator - Andreas Anderson Appelgren Q2

Anbytarforum

Titel: South African Projenator - Andreas Anderson Appelgren Q2
Skrivet av: Anton Appelcryn skrivet 2018-05-21, 08:33
Thank you to those who have sent some responses!

I found the ones that the Appelgren surname was first Appelquist very interesting and wondered how did that "just change"?

I also got some more information recently on my ancestor and in the records his surname is spelled Appelgrein.  Is that commonly Swedish

I was sent something recently by a South African researcher on the first settlers  -some were pro English involveemnt in the cape and others against. In  a book titled "Scandinavians & South Africa – Their impact on cultural. social and economic development before 1900” by Alan H Winquist, there appear to be a number of Swedish involvements in the early forming of the country, of particular Appelgren/Appelgrein

“Scandinavian Particicpation: Pro-Boer Involvement”

P163: “The Scandinavian corps and ambulance unit consisted of one hundred thirteen men and four women. Of the combatants, forty-five were Swedes….. Of the Swedes, fifteen came from Gothenburg, three from Stockholm, and the rest from various areas in Sweden…. The original officers were mainly Swedish (…. Carl David Appelgren – field commissioner….)

P212: Appendix J: members of the Scandinavian Corps

Officers:

Appelgren, Carl David (Swedish), field commissioner

“Scandinavian Participation: Pro-British Involvement”

P179: “Other outstanding Scandinavians serving with the British included…… Karl Apelgren wrote letters to his parents in Stromstad, Sweden, describing the awful siege of Ladysmith, and after the war became director of a large gold mining company; ………..”

P 203: Appendix C: Scandinavian settlers in South Africa before 1825.

Arrivals between 1801 and 1825

Appelgrein, Andries A (S)  -   [(S) denotes from Sweden]

So there were two Appelgrens - a Carl and a Karl on opposing sides, and from his records, my ancestor appears to have been documented as Appelgrein - but that cannot be assumed to be correct spelling necessarily as it depends on who was filling in the forms!  By profession, my ancestor was a school teacher in the cape Colony.

Is this likely to be any more help to anyone in helping me?!

Thanks for all your time and efforts!

Regards
Anton Appelcryn