NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Carlsson children

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Carlsson children
Skrivet av: Robert Carlson skrivet 2017-03-12, 21:29
Åke,

I am very touched about your recollection of my grandmother Alice.  She lived to be 96 years old and I am her oldest grandchild.  Her trip to Sweden in 1950 was because her mother Johanna Trybom f. Petersson was dying.  I was born while she was away.

Your uncle Harald was her true love.  I have several pictures of the two of them together, as well as cards from him and Hanna and Tora.  I know that she kept in touch with Tora.  I have her old address book with Tora's address in it.   My grandmother told me that your uncle had surgery for his bleeding ulcers and during the operation the surgeon cut Harald's aorta and he bled to death.   Alice kept Harald's burial service invitation to the day that she died.  I inherited these photos and papers from my father when he died.  If you would like me to email these pictures to you, I will.  Just message me with your email address.  I also have pictures who I suspect may be Hanna and Tora but I do not know for sure.

Alice had a brother Harald, who moved to America in 1908.  When he was first living there he lived with my grandfather's aunt and uncle, Mathilda and John Jensen.  Mathilda was my farfar mor's sister (Anna Lovisa Nord).  Harald Trybom a woman named Susan Bates from Scotland and they had several children.  His wife left him at one point and Harald asked Alice to come to America to help him with the children.  Since your uncle had died the previous year, Alice moved to America to help her brother.

I do not know how my grandparents met each other because my grandmother said that she did not meet my grandfather Harold until coming to America.  However, Harold's sister, Sigrid Eriksson only lived two blocks from my grandmother, so they may have known each other.  I suspect that her brother introduced them, since by 1910 Harold Carlson (American spelling) lived with the Jensen family, along with several Nord cousins, another aunt and Harald Trybom.

Alice married Harold Carlson in 1923.  My father Harold was born in 1925 and Dagny in 1927.  Harold was in the American army during WWI and he was gassed.  His lungs were weak and he developed tuberculosis and died in 1931.  Alice returned to Sweden with my father and aunt for several months.  It was long enough that Dagny forgot how to speak English when they returned to America.

I am glad that you wrote Åke.  I feel like I have reached family.

Bob Carlson